New congregation accounting system

by thedog1 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Assuming utility bills are paid by cheque or direct debit what account are you now supposed to use for that?

They don't expect you to use cash to pay the electric bill do they?

• thedog1
    thedog1

As far as I know, the began operating in the Uk branch area, which includes Ireland, during the last year, as somebody I know in that area is the cong accounts servant and he told me some months ago that they had begun to operate it. In my own country of residence, it is only just now happening, and all the details are being ironed out. It is causing a lot of head-scratching as bros do not know how it will work exactly. It was suggested to me that I keep the on-hand funds needed for emergency expenses in my house, which I was not happy about, as it would be safer in a bank. Anyway, I am really surprised by this move as it removes all local autonomy in financial matters, and it was simply imposed from above, with no discussion at a local level. Most of the bros and sis are not aware of the change and I wonder if they fully realised what was going on whether it would affect contribs.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does your congregation have an annual general meeting when finances are discussed? That is a requirement in my country for all non-profits, including churches. This sort of change should be discussed with the membership and voted on prior to implementation.

This is so fishy on so many levels.

• thedog1
    thedog1

The idea is that the operating committee of the hall, epecially when halls are shared, will also have an account, again one set up by the org, into which funds which have been deposited into the new central account will be sent by direct debit each month, according to a set amount which will cover basic costs like electricity etc. But any unexpected expenses, or expenses incurred to cover circuit overseer visits, for example, would need to be covered by money kept under the bed by the accounts servant from the contribs.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

but all funds outside of basic monthly costs is forwarded to an account controlled by the org.

...............New congregation accounting system..

............................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• thedog1
    thedog1

Our cong does not have an agm where accounts are discussed. Accounts reports are compiled each month and read to the congregation. Amounts paid to the org for worldwide preaching work and kingdom hall building are stated, as are amounts received and expenses paid. The balance on hand is also announced. Occasionally if special funds are required for various reasons they are voted on but usually it is a done deal as most just go along with suggested contributions, such as for funding missionaries to return to home countries for international conventions.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe this has been the way it's been for about a year now.

• sir82
    sir82

Holy crapoly, that sounds positively sinister!

I can virtually guarantee that this is a pilot project for a worldwide rollout in the near future. That's just the way these guys operate.

This will add likely $hundreds of millions to the amount they control.

(100,000+ congregations, if each one has an average balance of $2000...of course some have much less, ut others have much more - I would guess an average balance of $2000 is at least the right order of magnitude)

Are they that cash-starved? Or they just insatiably greedy?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Good Lord

I'm still stuck in as an elder in the US and we have nothing like that over here yet.

Wouldn't surprise me though. The cult control knows no bounds.

• thedog1
    thedog1

I have got to say as a current Witness in good standing and an elder, it worries me deeply that this has happened. Maybe there is some provision for congregations that can't meet their expenses to be helped out, if they can't meet their expenses then that would be obvious in their transactions in the bank account, I think. Their need would be offset by the surplus of others, as the NT mentions. But if it is simply to suck up any available cash then...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit