What is with the WT obsession with King David??

by BU2B 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zebagain
    zebagain

because they are obsessed with extra marital affairs..

• blondie
    blondie

12-30-12 WT Comments (WTS Bold)

What incidents in David’s life

show that he was concerned

about how Jehovah viewed

matters?

WOULD IT BE WHEN HE TOOK ANOTHER’S MAN WIFE, A MAN RISKING HIS LIFE FOR THE NATION OF ISRAEL, THEN DAVID HAD SEX WITH HER AND SHE GOT PREGNANT. TO COVER UP HIS ADULTERY, DAVID HAD THE HUSBAND PUT TO DEATH. DOESN’T SOUND LIKE HE WAS TOO CONCERNED HOW GOD VIEWS MATTERS.

What helped David to discern God’s will?

EVIDENTLY THOSE WHO KNEW OF THESE SINS DIDN’T HELP HIM. DAVID HAD THE LAW WAS REQUIRED TO READ IT AS KING, BUT IT DIDN’T HELP TO ACT IN HARMONY WITH IT.

What will help us to remain in Jehovah’s favor?

DAVD RECEIVED SPECIAL TREATMENT BECAUSE GOD HAD PROMISED THE MESSIAH WOULD COME THROUGH HIS LINE, DAVID WAS ANOINTED. BEING ANOINTED MEANT DAVID GOT SPECIAL TREATMENT, FORGIVENESS FOR 2 CAPITAL OFFENSES THAT NO HUMAN JEWISH TRIAL GROUP COULD GRANT.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/244121/1/Blondies-Comments-You-Will-Not-Hear-at-the-12-30-2012-DO-YOUR-WILL#.Uuo125qA1LM

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I never liked him. He was a randy old weasel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - "Here's a thought. With the Jehovah's Witness "branding" distingishing themselves from "Christendom" perhaps they are leaning more to the OT heroes."

You're only just figuring this out now?

Fundamentalist Christians have always liked the OT and everything in it way more than the NT.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I agree that the WTBTS uses David way to much as an example.

To me David personifies the 'very special' treatment that most of the kings of Israel received from Jah. All the kings had multiple wives, were allowed to do things that ordinary Israelites would have been killed for and were still to be honored. Some of the kings were only 7 and 8 years old when they began as king. It really does sound like fairy tales when you think about the kings of Israel. I've noticed that 40 years was the number of years that several kings reigned. Coincidence or fable?

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• humbled
    humbled

If you type in "House of David inscription" and search it out. In 1994 there was a basalt stele from @ 900B.C. found at Tel Dan with a reference to the "house of David".

The long bit of writing by a professor at UCLA explains the complex of issues in interpreting the writing.

There may be a kernel of truth to some of the David story, but it is thought that later writings inflated the basics. That was my take away from reading.

It seems the bible account doesn't reflect strict "Truth" unless its writers intended us to be happy with a very loose rendering of it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" Maybe the Society's obsession with David is a window into why they tolerate bad Elders.." - Designs

I agree 100%. All the latest articles demanding unquestioning obedience from the sheeple, while at the same time labeling any unkindness from the Elders as "deserved counsel", are evidence that the above statement is true. The bottom line is that there is almost zero accountability for the actions of the "Dukes." After kicking the sheep with the last two WT articles, the next attempts to smooth things over by reminding everyone how Elders should behave. It's basically the promise to never hit you again, after your pushed down the stairs.

I think the true leaders of the WTBTS are nervous. Sure they can DF dissenters right and left, and keep most JWs in the dark, at least for now. Still, they are re-branding right now. They need to keep up appearances and placate the sheeple, and the sheeple are getting restless. They are masters at releasing timely articles. Most abusive people know when to dial it down so the cycle can continue.

DD

• adamah
    adamah

Even the names of the older pubs (eg "The Golden Age") and their flagship pub (Watchtower) are references to the United Monarchy period, considered as the "Golden Age" when peace and prosperity prevailed thoughout Judea and Israel under King David and King Solomon under a strong military defense. The United Monarchy is the 'paradise lost' of the Kingdom of God that Jesus prayed for in his model prayer, "thy will be done on Earth, as it is in Heaven".

It's trivially easy to write a false narrative of an ancient past that never happened within a culture where writing was first emerging, and it didn't even need to done intentionally to deceive. Ancient writers would be mystified by the whole concept of writing as an accurate recording of historical events, since that kind of approach of 'authors as historians' wasn't even yet on the radar.

• BU2B
    BU2B

I agree with that TTATT elder... Dead on

• humbled
    humbled

That's a good point, Adam.

Essentially,what you say of ancient authors having no obligation to be factual in the modern sense is important. And they weren't even being malicious!

There is intention to deceive now--we cn know where the scriptures came from. What is being done now with this re-crafted version of the David stories for JWs is a way to keep the tribe together with new twists. (And twists and twists and twists untillll it is --twisted!) Only now people COULD be informed if only they would throw off the fear of getting kicked out for reading outside the rags mags.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit