What is with the WT obsession with King David??

by BU2B 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cha ching
    cha ching

They need the rank and file to equate the governing body with David.

They need to downplay David’s errors, and create excuses for some very terrible things he did.

Why?

Because the governing body, anointed & 'chosen' like King David, “deserve special treatment” ….. no matter what they do.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

I personally don't care how the WT interprets David. I think he is one of the most dynamic characters in the Bible, in terms of complexity. I find him very interesting.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

The Bible was written about & by rich Jewish men. When they did something bad, God would let them have it, but forgave them. Poor folks he would say, don't do that no more & be on your way...

David did to suit himself, but begged & pleaded with God all day long...See, that's what you have to do...do what you want then fall on the ground & cover yourself with dirt....& chant Jehovah's name...all day long..that how you get in good with God...David, knew how to butter God up...

Legacy

• humbled
    humbled

Thoughtless--

I tend to agree with you--Dynamic, interesting people can get into a lot of trouble. He committed crimes that would have had him killed except for executive privelege.

Just that his exploits made it to print doesn't make him a hero. The truest thing about him is that his poor management of his personal affairs brought him troubles galour. But he could be generous as well.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

These OT stories never happened. They were invented. I wonder if a later Israelite king did not have a tacky affair. The harems bother me, esp. harems of concubines.

• humbled
    humbled

Band--I think there is a core of truth to them, mostly.

There is a mention of the "house of David" in a stele found in 1994 from the time period matching the David stories. That David may have been a scruffy type, a vagabond usurper or whatnot might be true.

In my experience, truth is so much stranger than pure fiction, I don't discount off-hand a mad story simply because it seems implausible to ME.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I noticed that. For this anti-Gentile, lustuous, murdering monster to be praised is beyond me to describe except that joke-hova is just like that thing. Joke-hova wants us all enslaved and will stop at nothing to ensure that. To me, Tyrant David's being exalted by joke-hova is reason to ask if we really should be worshiping joke-hova at all, or if Satan is the One we should be worshiping. Notably, Tyrant David had nothing good to say about any Gentile, ever--except that they should all be following Noahide Law and becoming proselytes. Yet, no matter how much one of its own people hurt the nation or itself, that thing always had praise for them.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

The Governing Body are trying to be like King David in-a-sense but not really(David confessed his wrong choices when confronted, the GB will stone you if you show them where they went wrong!), they both disobeyed Jehovah by thinking more of themselves, both had a huge fixation on numbers instead of trusting in Jehovah. 1 Chronicles 21 (Census Sin) Governing Body demand all Witnesses be numbered and all their religious actions be counted. King David listened when the prophets showed him where and how he sinned, the GB spiritually kill off anyone who exposes their wrong doings, they are not like David! They are like??

Matthew 6:1

""Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

The Modern Day King David (Governing Body) are covetors of your money, property, education, your time Read 2 Samuel 12: King David wanted what belonged to God (Uriah and Bathsheba's marriage was godly and David's greed and disobediene to Jehovah ruined the lives of many. How many lives have the Governing Body ruined because they desired all the Christian Freedom our brothers and sisters had? They are rocks and shoals beneath the waters ". Have you noticed the Governing Body avoid Paul's words and his conduct? Paul paid his own bills and never expected to feed off the flocks meager wages. Paul preached in diffucult places, the Governing Body and their King David complex, they like to be treated like Royality and do not like preaching like a Missionary. It's a scam and hoax!

2 Samuel 12

Living Bible (TLB)

12 1-2 So the Lord sent the prophet Nathan to tell David this story:

“There were two men in a certain city, one very rich, owning many flocks of sheep and herds of goats;3 and the other very poor, owning nothing but a little lamb he had managed to buy. It was his children’s pet, and he fed it from his own plate and let it drink from his own cup; he cuddled it in his arms like a baby daughter. 4 Recently a guest arrived at the home of the rich man. But instead of killing a lamb from his own flocks for food for the traveler, he took the poor man’s lamb and roasted it and served it.”

5 David was furious. “I swear by the living God,” he vowed, “any man who would do a thing like that should be put to death; 6 he shall repay four lambs to the poor man for the one he stole and for having no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are that rich man! The Lord God of Israel says, ‘I made you king of Israel and saved you from the power of Saul. 8 I gave you his palace and his wives and the kingdoms of Israel and Judah; and if that had not been enough, I would have given you much, much more.9 Why, then, have you despised the laws of God and done this horrible deed? For you have murdered Uriah and stolen his wife. 10 Therefore murder shall be a constant threat in your family from this time on because you have insulted me by taking Uriah’s wife. 11 I vow that because of what you have done, I will cause your own household to rebel against you. I will give your wives to another man, and he will go to bed with them in public view.[ a ] 12 You did it secretly, but I will do this to you openly, in the sight of all Israel.’”

13 “I have sinned against the Lord,” David confessed to Nathan.

Then Nathan replied, “Yes, but the Lord has forgiven you, and you won’t die for this sin. 14 But you have given great opportunity to the enemies of the Lord to despise and blaspheme him, so your child shall die.”

15 Then Nathan returned to his home. And the Lord made Bathsheba’s baby deathly sick. 16 David begged him to spare the child and went without food, and lay all night before the Lord on the bare earth. 17 The leaders of the nation pleaded with him to get up and eat with them, but he refused.18 Then, on the seventh day, the baby died. David’s aides were afraid to tell him.

“He was so broken up about the baby being sick,” they said, “what will he do to himself when we tell him the child is dead?”

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

It is because they are so fond of using the Bible as an example and there is not much in there to use, so use it over and over and over.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

David was a disgusting specimin, a poor excuse of a corrupt, vile and selfish piece of excrememt........the WBT$ must surely identify with this bigtime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit