What is with the WT obsession with King David??

by BU2B 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SnailsPace2
    SnailsPace2

They are a bit obsessed with David, which always posed a problem for me because I never liked the guy. I couldn't understand why he was portrayed as such as outstanding faithful example. He was an adulterous murderer.

• 88JM
    88JM

To me it seems like the JWs use David to make their favourite point of "it's what's in your heart that matters" and then twist that into obedience. As a cult, they don't just want your outward obedience, but they want (brainwashed) "heartfelt obedience" - THEY WANT YOUR BRAAAINS!

It doesn't matter how much adultery or how many people you murder, it's "obedience to Jehovah" (i.e. obey the GB) that counts.

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

He is a good example of GOOD and BAD let alone David being the MAIN link in the chain to Jesus

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did something so embarassing in junior high school. The Witnesses talked about Jesus being a descendant of King David. I thought perhaps two generations were involved. I actually telephoned a rabbi and asked why he would not admit that Jesus was descended from King David. The rabbi did not agree. I was a bit shocked. Goofy pre-teen stunts.

When I was young, David's adultery and murder did not impress me. David was so good. No, he was not. Jehovah seems mercurial in humans that he likes. I recall there was a part about a harem not having David as a husband anymore. Strange story.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Oh sure David killed his "ten thousands", cut the foreskins off a couple hundred dead enemies so he could add another goodbody to the old harem, bedded down a loyal friend's wife while he was out killin' Philistines for him, then murdered the guy before he could find out, but hey--we're not striving for perfection here, are we? He was simply practicing the "follow a boob" theory.

A friend of mine says that if a true moron proceeds you in anything you attempt to do, no matter how badly you screw up you'll still look better than him. In my opinion, old Lot--maybe one of David's ancestors I guess or at least somebody he had heard of--made David look like a choir boy. "Righteous" Lot did nothing more than offer up his daughters to a ravenous mob to be raped and murdered, and when that didn't work out, he decided to have his own fun with the girls once it was lights-out in the cave. And face it, Lot was just unlikeable. What a drip! At least David had some charisma!

Seriously, it took some twisted minds to create these fictional characters like David and Lot. Makes you wonder if the writers of the bible weren't more heinously demented than the characters they created. And you're right, the WT writers are obsessed with both of them! They can't pick role models any better than that?

• 88JM
    88JM

I don't want to worship a God that is fine with wicked King David, but will kill someone for picking up wood on the wrong day - Numbers 15:32-35.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a thought. With the Jehovah's Witness "branding" distingishing themselves from "Christendom" perhaps they are leaning more to the OT heroes.

• kaik
    kaik

I had watched documentary while ago and there were doubt that he was indeed a real person. As important dynastic myth, he symbolized the power and strenght of the monarchy from which the kings could derive the legitimacy. Problem for JW publication that they have black and white view of event and do not see various shades of grays and imperfection. David does not symbolize for me anything good or evil, but as a normal failing person with set of weaknesses as did any other ruler on the Earth. Romans idealized Augustus or Trajan, and French Charlemagne. Neither society saw guys hungry for power, killing countless people for their own glory, enforcing censorship, and undermined tribal democracy (or Republican system of the Roman Republic in case of Rome). However, Augustus and Charlemange built long lasting successful empires and that is what matter.

Additionally to various adulterous affairs of King David, I also wonder, if he was not bisexual having intimate relationship with Jonathan.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Firstly they see themselves in David for sure.

"He may have murdered some people and gave in to some fleshly indulgences, but deep down he was a decent guy and Jehovah still approved of him."

That storyline gives a blank check to the GB. So what if a few thousand people die from their playing around with organ/blood doctrine - that's no deal breaker. If they give in to a few secret fleshly indulgences - meh - no big thing. They can just repent since God knows they're good guys deep down - just like David.

jgnat,

I definitely say that the GB on some level fantasize about being God's chosen people like the ancient Israelites portrayed in the OT. It may be the one thread that connects the modern GB all the way back to Rutherford. They all are special to God in their own minds.

Now that I think about it, it may be some mental illness that convinces them of this. I'm sure it has been discussed here before.

The delusion is scary.

• designs
    designs

Maybe the Society's obsession with David is a window into why they tolerate bad Elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit