Should Creationism Ever Be Taught In Schools?

by nicolaou 77 Replies latest social current

• cantleave
    cantleave

Thanks for posting. I agree Canon Jennings came across very well.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

A thorough education has to include teaching that most people on earth believe in one of the many versions of creation. They should be taught the general gist of the idea. They will then be able to compare this with Evolution.

What might confuse pupils is that some people believe both creation and evolution. Let's call it Evocreat.

• metatron
    metatron

I reject Creationism. I accept Evolution.

However, opposition to it, IMHO, follows the same fallacy as trying to create gun control: it doesn't work because the bigger issues don't get addressed properly.

Want gun control? Forget the restrictive attempts at law and create a transparent government dedicated to peace, that people can actually trust. That's the problem at the core.

Want to stop Creationism? Build a society that offers jobs to anyone that wants one and takes care of its citizens honestly. In other words, give them hope.

Otherwise, you're just spinning your wheels. I offer most of Scandinavia as an example of better management.

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still". That's creationism.

metatron

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

metatron I reject Creationism. I accept Evolution.

Evolution deals with - evolution, it doesn't address the issue of where life originated, though science has some theories.

Perhaps we came from another planet or universe. Martian and flying saucer theories abound.

I reincarnated from Roman times, but that is fairly unusual.

• tec
    tec

I have not watched the video yet, but I am going to.

Before I watch it, my opinon would be similar to what Designs stated:

It could be included in a History class or Comparative Religions class on what people believe. (or have believed... addition by tec)

However.

I don't think that the people calling for this understand what the results would be. How many different denominations/sects of christianity believe the same thing about creation? Some believe literal days, some believe days for years/centuries/millenia; some believe creation AND evolution; etc, etc. Whose view gets represented? All of them? How hard would that be? How many parents would be even more up in arms... if their view was being misrepresented or not included? How many parents would be freaking out if their children were hearing the 'wrong' version?

"Be careful what you wish for... you just might get it."

I cannot imagine any government wanting to step into THAT mess. At least unless they took control of christianity as well, and regulated how it (and everything else) was interpreted.

Science has to teach what science has discovered. I think some parents would be less concerned if science was understood and taught not to be an end-all know-all/gospel. But only what we know about our physical world right now, and the benefits that come with all that we have discovered and know, as well as the scientific process. Our findings and our knowledge change constantly, most often growing... but occassionally also reversing... with new evidence that is uncovered.

Peace,

tammy

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Tammy - that's fair comment.

• galaxie
    galaxie

I think it should be taught as part of a subject that mixes world religious with scientific reasoning. Neither should be taught as FACT, and i think the age of the pupils should be taken into account.

• cofty
    cofty

I think it should be taught as part of a subject that mixes world religious with scientific reasoning. Neither should be taught as FACT,

But evolution is a fact and creationism is superstitious nonsense.

Schools are for education not indoctrination.

Shall we give equal time to holocaust deniers as well?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

tec: Whose view gets represented? All of them? How hard would that be?

---

that's pretty much what I was alluding to.....good comment, Tammy.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Let's make one thing clear; parents and pupils should NOT have a choice as to what they learn about the diversity of life. Biological evolution through natural selection is a FACT! Would you like alchemy given equal time in the classroom with chemistry? Or astrology with astronomy? Do you think any mosque, church, synagogue or Kingdom Hall will, for the sake of 'balance' and 'fairness' allow evolutionary experts regular time to convince their flocks of the truth of evolution? Idiocy has NO PLACE in our children's classrooms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit