Should Creationism Ever Be Taught In Schools?

by nicolaou 77 Replies latest social current

• jws
    jws

Once the Christians realize every religion gets equal time, no matter how absurd, the debate would die a quick death....

Maybe, maybe not. Being in a predominately Christian country, I think that the bible's view of creation seems rather reasonable in comparison to some of the other mythologies where the earth is a child of some cosmic couple or other such things. Although I don't know all of the other myths.

If you teach a bunch of ridiculous stories, the one you've grown up with is going to sound reasonable by comparison, bolstering it as the truth.

Think of how we thought we were right as JWs. Part of it was constantly being shown how other religions weren't right.

And, btw, my kids learned a little about Roman mythology in school. So religion is being taught in schools. More as history though.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well, what is the purpose of public schools? Does giving creationism equal time interfere with that purpose? Should the State be allowed to censor information about creationism? How can an informed and voluntary decision be reached if an individual does not have access to opposing viewpoints?

DD

• galaxie
    galaxie

COFTY .I agree evolution is fact. I was referring to the creation aspect as per topic question I.E. by what method did 'creation' begin, as defined "bring into being" It doesn't have to be an intelligence as in god, but can also be due to other forces which physicists are still trying to ascertain So as i say the topic question is not fundamentally about evolution per,se.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Science is a way to call the bluff of those who only pretend to knowledge. It is a bulwark against mysticism, against superstition, against religion misapplied to where it has no business being." -Carl Sagan

• cofty
    cofty

galaxie the topic is biological evolution not abiogenesis or cosmology

• galaxie
    galaxie

COFTY. Not to be argumentative, but the topic subject does not mention evolution but 'creationism', which as an encompassing subject would surely take into account all aspects of how things have been' brought into being' which is the definition of to create. The pupils would surely have a right to have all understandings of the subject discussed. To avoid them saying at a future time, " i wasn't told about that ".

• cofty
    cofty

Let them learn about superstition in RE not in the science classroom.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Surely you not advocating that?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Surely you not advocating that?

----

He is...and don't call him "Surely"....lol

• DJS
    DJS

Tammy,

Very nice comment. Ditto.