Should Creationism Ever Be Taught In Schools?

by nicolaou 77 Replies latest social current

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, we should teach creationism in schools, but we should base how much time is spent on each theory by how much proof there is for each. For each twenty hours of instruction there should be 19 hours and fifty five minutes on the theory of evolution and five minutes explaining that the proof for creationism is in the mind of believers.

Schools should teach science, not religion.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If something is taught as fact, it needs proof to back it up.

Yes, Science is always discovering new things, on an almost daily basis, so what are viewed as facts change with added knowledge. But to teach an erroneous or even an unproven idea as being equal to one which has proof to back it up, is, as Cofty said above, to teach lies.

Our children should not be taught lies or suppositions as though they are true.

Some people still believe in a Flat Earth, should we teach that idea as of equal merit to what the facts and evidence show ?

What nonsense it would be to do so. Creationism is equal to Flat-Earthism.

• Giordano
    Giordano

You teach creationism in Sunday School which of course is not a real school so it is the perfect place to teach BS.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Only as an example of being an ostritch.

• galaxie
    galaxie

lisa rose I agree , but i dissagree that creationism is religion. If you want my 2 cents on it see my previous posts.

phizzy I agree facts do need proof , although you could argue FACTS are indeed facts LOL . I would not agree that a teacher should teach lies or suppositions as truth .That teacher should be held to account for it ,and in my view struck off!

About your flat earth example , no one would agree it should be taught as true, but would you not allow it to be known in a history lesson about ancient beliefs I.E. why would you exclude it?

Creationism cannot surely be equated to ancient belief in a flat earth, why because we all exist (fact) and our existence came about by some process . The learning about this process is what education is, for EVERY point of view or theory should be up for discussion. The whacky nutcase ones can be discounted very quickly by sound reasoning On no account should lies be taught as fact.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Why can't creationism be equated to a flat earth?

• galaxie
    galaxie

Simply because they are not equivalent ,unless you disagree .Can you cite any examples or reasons why you would think so?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Why are they not equivalent?

• nugget
    nugget

A Science lesson is there to teach what is science, creationism isn't science it is an alternative point of view and therefore should not be taught in science. Schools do not have the unlimited time and resources to teach every single religious perspective, good grief teachers have enough to do. If parents want their children to learn alternative viewpoints they have weekends and evenings to do it in their own time.

• Simon
    Simon

Children should only be taught about Creationism's existence as part of history. Not as any form of science or fact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit