How Many Remember the Mass Skating Rink Parties of the Late 70's ?

by Perry 47 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

It was the same in Southampton - but I was never allowed to go, my mother thought all the "spiritually weak youths" went skating.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Yeah, we had them until about the early to mid-80's. Wednesday night, if I remember correctly. There was a roller skating rink in between our cong and a neighboring one. But there were always witnesses from congregations farther away that showed up. One of my happier childhood memories; though, admittedly, there's not a lot to choose from.

• BU2B
    BU2B

The WT is just like a toltolitarian dictatorship. No meetings of 5 or more people unless its cult activties lol. They really dont want JWs to have any fun with non JWs or other JWs. I dont see any JWs with real close friends or that have any real fun.. Its sad.

• free and happy
    free and happy

We used to go in a large group when we worked at Edinburgh assembly at Murrayfield and also Billingham .

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I never understood why having fun was such a bad thing. Never.

We had an elder once who was so afraid that someone would either get drunk or pregnant at a JW party. He just couldn't take that risk.

BTW, our skating parties were on Sunday night.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Oh yeah.....I was there......every Sunday night.

Otherwise you would never meet a girl. LOL.

• Perry
    Perry

The GB act like anytime a group of JW's get together, unless there is an army of supervising elders, it will turn into an orgy.

EndofMysteries hits the nail on the head.

If the Holy Spirit really was involved with JW members, they wouldn't need Gestapo-like supervision. God's Grace, the new personality and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit would be sufficient. The WT tries to copy the real deal through domination. Seig Heil!

• Dagney
    Dagney

So much fun.

The boys helping you lace up your skates...innocent and fun.

• L3G
    L3G

Even though none of us always agrees with the things said on this forum, there always seems to be choice statements made here and there, and EndofMysteries has done it above:

" The GB are idiots, they want no jw's to associate with non jw's, then at the same time they don't want JW's to associate with each other either, unless it's just field service.... The GB act like any time a group of JW's get together, unless there is an army of supervising elders, it will turn into an orgy."

Love this b/c it is so spot on!!

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

innocent and fun

Exactly. We were all innocent and we were all having fun. Tell me what is wrong with that. No one left the skating party either drunk or pregnant - or both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit