How Many Remember the Mass Skating Rink Parties of the Late 70's ?

by Perry 47 Replies latest jw friends

• momentofsurrender
    momentofsurrender

In Western Mass (in the 80's - Rollaway Agawam Mass) we used to have them about once a month on Saturday afternoons. I was a pre-teen and young teenager. Then at an assembly or convention they had a talk and suddenly they stopped. They were really something us kids looked forward to. It was a chance to hang out with kids from other congregations. They were supervised, it was a family thing with all age groups represented - many elders were present. I'm sure there probably were cases where things got out of hand at large gatherings -however those who usually got in trouble would have got in trouble somewhere else anyway. As an innocent indoctrinated JW you rationalize that wow these things must really be bad and venues for all kinds of immoral behaviour. As an adult, out of the organization, all I can do is think how taking away such outlets alienates and compartmentalizes so many young ones. If kids don't have the necessary recreation within the organization, they are going to stray outside. The organization is truly, sorry for the term "screwing" themselves.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

moomanchu >>>

Got to the point that Mondays were always JW skating party night.

Now, Monday's are JW Family Worship night.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

How Many Remember the Mass Skating Rink Parties of the Late 70's ?

.....A Time When JW`s Could Go To An Arena..And....................I was in Vietnam!..People Got Blowed Up!..And..

Do Something Besides Listen To Some WBT$ GB Fool...................................Cooked Like Hot Dogs!!..

............................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Sunday nights. Schaumburg, Illinois. Great times! Lou Malnati's afterwards.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Every Wednesday night was carload night ! Skating is how my husband and I met and dated ....couples only skate !!! Oh Yay ! 1978 baby

• titch
    titch

Designs: Do you mind if I ask you as to which rink or rinks that you went to? I remember back in the last 60s and early 70s, it was popular for JW youngsters to go to an ice-skating rink in Anahiem, the Glacier Falls Ice Rink. Around 1971/1972, an ice rink was built in Costa Mesa, the Klondike Ice Rink, which later became an Ice Capades Chalet. It was there, in the late 1970s that I first set foot upon ice. I kept at it for many years after, evenaully buying my own figure skates, and skated just for recreation, for many years. I completely lost interest in the activity about 12 years ago, so I have beome a "skating fader", too! So, anyway, which roller rinks or ice rinks do you go to?

Titch

• titch
    titch

BTW, I never got into roller skating, just ice skating. I just never took to roller skating. BAck in the early 1970s, "disco roller skating" was the "craze." If there is anyone here who is into roller-blading, (in-line skates) I found out in 2006 that I am related to the gentleman who first invented the roller-blades. His name is Scott Olson, from Minnesota. He and I are second cousins. His dad and my dad were first cousins. His grandfather, and my grandmother were siblings. I've never met Scott, but yet, we are related.

Titch

• pontoon
    pontoon

Around here it was about once a month at the Avalon, Skate Time, or Spring Lake with a little square dancing mixed in. Always fun, something to look foward to, always went out to eat after. Dated a couple girls I met at those skate parties. Met one of them leaving a District Conv some time ago. Some came from 100 miles away for those skate parties.-----Hudson Valley NY

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

1963-1965 Monday night ice skating in Pasadena in So Cal. Ladies got in free on Mondays. Got to meet other JW's from different congos. Great fun and nice to meet girls not in your cong. Just clean fun without WT supervision. Part of the good times I had as a young JW.

.eyeuse2badub

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

We use to go every Sunday in the mid to late 80's. Use to be so much fun. I don't recall it being a major issue, it seemed everyone just grew up and quit going.they was drama, but silly stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit