How Many Remember the Mass Skating Rink Parties of the Late 70's ?

by Perry 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

They were a hoot weren't they?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Yup they were fun, they were so much fun that the Watchtower said "no more skating parties for you".

Got to the point that Mondays were always JW skating party night.

Met my wife there, we went to Rt 100 rink, Bethlehem and Whitehall skateaway, CC Ranch Emmaus even Douglasville.

Couples only skate woo hoo.

• Londo111
    Londo111

They were fun.

• Perry
    Perry

Yes, holding hands during a couples skate could trigger the endocrine system to literally dump endorphins into the blood stream triggering smiles and "unwholesome" god-dishonoring expressions of well-being. In other words....it was fun. One of he GB must have viewed just such a display of joy while the DJ played "Physical" by Olivia Newton John ..... and then it was all over:

km 9/95 p. 2 Do All Things for God’s Glory ***

It has been reported that large numbers of Witnesses have gathered at rented facilities where the entertainment is unwholesome and worldly and where proper supervision is lacking. Similar activities advertised as a "Jehovah’s Witness" weekend have been held at hotels or resorts. Because of the difficulty in properly supervising such large groups, problems have developed. Rowdiness, overindulgence in alcoholic beverages, and even immorality have sometimes resulted. (Eph. 5:3, 4) Social gatherings where such conduct occurs do not honor Jehovah. Rather, they bring reproach upon the good name of the congregation and stumble others.—1 Cor. 10:23, 24, 2
  • blondie
    blondie

The parents were sad when they ended, even elders. That was about the "large group" dangers that shut down many events, almost wedding receptions as well.

Do they have those pay to party events still?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

There has been a trend for a while in the UK to have balls where everyone dresses up in tuxedos and gowns. They are generally pay events. I find the whole thing insufferable and completely hypocritical given the counsel about not aping the world or being materialistic. Whilst of course there is nothing inherntly materialistic about such an event it seems crazy to be emulating things that are generally associated with fame, business or the entertainment industry when they then carp on about end of school proms and other forms of entertainment.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yeah, I remember hearing about them since I was never invited to participate with my JDub peers.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

We used to have skating parties in Milton MA and Braintree MA in the '60s JW teens would come from lots of surrounding congregations.... good memories....

Coffee

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

In the 90's, atleast in my area there was a brief revival of large groups going to public places. A sunday skating rink, where 200+ showed up in the winter. In the summer was a large volleyball game.

The GB are idiots, they want no jw's to associate with non jw's, then at the same time they don't want JW's to associate with eachother either, unless it's just field service. Other christian denominations have large parties, gatherings, events, etc, and nobody supervising. The GB act like anytime a group of JW's get together, unless there is an army of supervising elders, it will turn into an orgy.

This one brother rented out an entire waterpark, and I think over 500 showed up. Everyone had a great time, and I think he got dfed or in major trouble for that.

The GB should encourage and try to make staying in their cult so fun nobody would want to leave. Instead of articles about no more gatherings, no more anything, the large gatherings should have been examples of things to do so nobody is 'tempted' to have worldly association, etc.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have many fond memories of the weekly skating parties. Especially "couples skate!" I can't hear Nights in White Satin" without recalling the thrill of the couples skate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit