My favourite JW books when I was a delusional.convert. Did you have any ?

by smiddy 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Never drank the kool-aid, here. I have heard Blondie mention a few times that "The Greatest Man" book was her favorite. Mine has got to be "The Secret of Family Happiness" book, for alerting women to the misogyny, and to give "unbelieving mates" some ammunition.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I loved Your Will Be Done On Earth, the Insight Volumes, the Revelation book, then later the Daniel book.

• millie210
    millie210

Mankinds Search For God was my favorite.

• subytrek
    subytrek

My favorites were the Daniel book and the Greatest Man. Later while learning TTATT I liked the Proclaimers book since it did give some admission about 1975, of course putting most of the blame on the members but still accepting some blame. I was surprised about that since I learned more about 1975 from a return visit who looked it up online than I had from the organization.

• millie210
    millie210

I also liked "The Commentary On James" but I dont think copies of that are easy to find anymore.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I used to put on Nightwish and look at the pictures in the Revelation Climax in your Hand book. Can't say I liked the book but the music made the pictures pretty dramatic.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Commentary on James is nice because it is free from the WT spin for the most part. It is the only Bible commentary the WT has ever produced. The reason it is so balanced is because it was authored by Ed Dunlap, a man soon to be purged for apostasy. Some of the most balanced info the WT has had was right before the "purge" such as the relaxed stand on DFing.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The Greatest Man book here as well -- I think it's telling that so many of us liked the book, as I remember it being very back to basics and refreshing (oh yeah, we're Christians and this is a book all about Jesus! Makes sense!). I was similarly struck by the concept of Jesusism shortly before learning TTATT; it was amazing to just contemplate the idea of following Jesus without all the rules and regulations of man getting in the way.

I also liked the Revelation Climax book. ...What? We studied it when I was a child, and I was impressed by the pictures. I also liked how all the verses were actually in the text, emboldened, rather than having to constantly look them up.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I agree with BU2B on the Commentary on James. The only observations I had about it was that if you followed that sort of unselfishness among Jehovah's Witnesses you would be the one person in the congregation that everybody took advantage of and used, need I say screwed over and out of anything of value. They borrow and dont return, or borrow and return broken without explination or offer of replacing. They want to borrow, not repay, take it to the elders who tell you dont go to court, just forgive. (I noticed that they NEVER loan money.)

In a perfect world the advice given in that book would be invaluable. I do think that the book stressed christian values more than any WT book. Of course it was written by an eventual apostate, go figure.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I knew I should have kept some of those old books! Would love to take a look at Commentary on James. I don't suppose it is available online in the library at jw.org? What are the odds? I think I will have to check it out... I'm betting, not there....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit