My favourite JW books when I was a delusional.convert. Did you have any ?

by smiddy 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• steve2
    steve2

I read the Red Babylon book cover to cover when I was 19 years old. It was grueling, but I did it. I felt so proud of myself because I knew no one else could get through it in one sitting.

Perry - me too! I actually studied it when I was 12 and bored my dear JW parents silly with reciting "facts" from it (they were marvellously tolerant of their know-it-all son). I think the book's title was something like "Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God's Kingdom Rules". It was a thumping big book - from memory well over 500 pages. To be fair, large chunks of it presented pretty informative historical stuff (yes, from the Watchtower perspective). But as an emerging history-buff, I loved it.

It was frustrating for me as a teenager to realize that very few Witnesses were as studious as me. Even then in the mid to late 60s, I deduced that most of my JW peers would rather chill out than "do" personal study...and they casually referred to themselves as students of the Bible! Yeah, right!

• BU2B
    BU2B

I believe it is on there FTB.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Just checked.. The James book is on the WT'Lib

• Zordino
    Zordino

As a child my fav was "My Book of Bible Fairy Tales"

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

I noticed a few on here listed books from pre-1960, interesting. The first book I studied was the "Paradise"book. I too like the "Babylon" book because of it historical references(also a history buff) which later ran iinto "The Finished Mystery" book(1969). My fav then was also the" JW in the Divine Purpose". That motivated me to build a large "Theocratic" library of older WT literature.

• kaik
    kaik

I had a book, but I do not remember its name or how it was called in English. We studied it in the 1980's and was more or less about Old Testament line toward Jesus. It talked about promised seed and king and how the promise evolved throughout the ancient Isrealites. I liked that book because it gave me some basic understanding on historical succession of kings. Does anyone know what was the name of this book?

• smiddy
    smiddy

no. i have some favourites now but for different reasons.

Ucantnome

Dont hold back share them ,different viewpoints is what discussions are all about .

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks for reminding me of the red " Babylon The Great Has Fallen Gods Kingdom Rules " I too soaked that one up , because of the historical content.

"Things in which it is impossible for god to lie"

"Let your name be sanctified"

are a couple of other books that we studied that I thought were important.

Looking back in hindsight , what can I say that you guys havent already expressed over the years .

smiddy

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

The Truth Book! on the opening page, a guy with a bird on his finger, a little girl petting a lion. My initial reaction was fantasy land man! You can't even walk

the streets here unless you can run fast, that was reality! Stupid and delusional I was, easy to teach out of in F/S... "Mankind Search for God" though was

good!!seeds were planted in my head, comparing religions. I don't recall ever having a congo book study on it... Wonder why?

insot4

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

smiddy, i never read any of the publications when I was a witness. they bored me too much. i'd rather read the Beano than the Watchtower. i liked the colours of the books as a kid.

we had a family study in the Paradise book when i was preschool and later in primary school we studied the Your will be done that was fun and later when i was at home still and pioneering we done the daily text, daily bible reading and studied the Watchtower each week. i still felt i didn't really get it.

but since i left i have enjoyed reading the one you mention Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose. one of the points i enjoyed reading about was on page 19

'Based on Paul's statement at 1 Corinthians 15:51,52 it had been expected "that at some time the living saints would be suddenly and miraculously caught away bodily, thenceforth to be forever with the Lord." Believing this would take place in 1878, some were disappointed because nothing occurred that they could see. However, Pastor Russell was led to a reexamination of the scripture and realized that their "mistake lay in expecting to see all the living saints changed at once, and without dying - an erroneous view shared in by the whole nominal church, and one which we had not yet observed or discarded." Russell's re-examination of this text revealed that the true significance of the apostle's words was that those who were to be of Christ's body and who were alive at his presence or after his return would not lie unconscious in the grave as had those who preceded Christ's return. Instead they would be changed instantaneously at death to be present with him. This was really an important revelation of scripture and one that many fundamentalists still have not come to appreciate.'

the book also tells us about the invisible return of Christ in 1874 that was believed. it has helped me to understand what i believed as a witness. Although we had the book since it's publication it's one of those that i never looked at. All though my parents did.

Other books i particularly find interesting now are the "The Nations Shall Know THAT I AM JEHOVAH-HOW? (1971 WTB&TS) and God's Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing FOR MAN'S GOOD (1974 WTB&TS)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit