Are you materialistic?

by Goldiver 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Laika
    Laika

I wish I had more money. :(

• label licker
    label licker

We were accused of that as well but only by those whose credit cards were maxed out living paycheque to paycheque. They were the ones that had to drive their cadillacs, have their swimming pools and speedboats along with three months of holidays per year and didn't own any of it or their big fancy homes. At least everything we have is paid for and we live well. We always had the money first before we bought. But what is the biggest hypocrasy is our po who had all the above telling another family not to be so materialistic. All they owned was an old fixer upper house.

• Goldiver
    Goldiver

WTWizard,

I like your outlook on the subject. It seems the less you have the more beat down you feel. I was there and have been through it, the living paycheck to paycheck constantly worrying how you are going to pay all the bills and take care of your family. How can a person concentrate on spiritual things if there is anxiety and worry all the time?

• Goldiver
    Goldiver

Phizzy,

There is alot of truth in what you said. I have noticed that before also, a well to do elder or pioneer is looked at a bit differently, though you will likely still hear the whispers about them being materialistic they aren't as likely to be called out as such.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

To be fair, JWs are closer to the original poverty gospel of Jesus and Paul. This was a message that appealed to the downtrodden to begin with, and anyone wealthy who wanted to join the Christians was expected to lower himself to their level materially, which is why it was harder for them than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

The idea of "having nice things" sounds fair until you realize that the much-maligned "one percent" are thinking exactly the same thing when they buy their new sports car every year, get a bigger boat, and seek out the highest-paying job for themselves that they can find, even if it means being a CEO making millions off the backs of minimum wage workers. What's wrong with that? According to the views above, nothing. They're just earning what they're capable of earning and enjoying life, what's the problem?

• Goldiver
    Goldiver

Apognophos,

You have posed a good argument and I understand your point. I just don't agree with JWs treating someone differently because they aren't at a certain level of poverty.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, I agree that the JWs are too judgmental. They allow themselves to feel jealousy over the things that others have in the congregation, and mask it in a moral argument.

The monkey-see, monkey-do response to the use of tablets has been amusing and irritating to me; first a few tech-savvy people used their existing tablets at the meeting, then many others started buying one just for use at the meetings. Got to keep up with Brother and Sister Jones, I guess!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Goldiver:

I guess I was considered materialistic as well since I refused to get rid of my full-time job at the urging of jealous JWs. Meanwhile, they weren't supporting me.

I had to listen to "digs" about "materialism" and "putting the kingdom first". I was viewed as "not upbuilding". And, possibly in some secret circles, even viewed as bad association. Horrors! As a consequence, I was not invited socially very often. This didn't bother me all that much since I had a few friends and also some "worldly" friends. I also had the "single woman" stigma hanging over my head so it was even worse. I never forgot this!

GLAD I'M NOT THERE NOW....I am sure the congregations are hotbeds of trouble and the appeals for money must be endless.

You have too many categories of people looking for handouts: elderly who never saved for retirement, pioneers living on the edge, out of work bethelites and missionaries, people who just lost their jobs, in addition to the deadbeats who were there all along and the new recruits with their serious "issues". Sounds like a nightmare to me. A nightmare of the religion's making.

It would not surprise me if there are, as we speak, organized efforts to approach EMPLOYED people in the congregations to get them to give money. Even if somebody were the "generous" type, you have to understand that this would not be a one-time or even a some-time thing: this would be a regular thing.

Yes, people who are barely hanging onto their jobs (and were criticized for doing so), are going to be viewed as though they were walking ATM machines and hit up for money, left and right.

Apognophos:

No comparison to the first century. It's a whole different planet. My observation with the JWs was that the poverty being preached was not for some people there, just somebody else. There were many people there who liked their creature comforts and wouldn't be caught dead pioneering and living on the edge. No, that was for some young sucker.

• Oh Gawd
    Oh Gawd

He who dies with the most toys wins!!!...

Funny story....I got a great lesson in life from my first boss after college. I worked for an investment firm and we were having a contest with another office for the month. I wasn't really getting into the spirit of the "game" and my boss noticed. One day he calls me to talk about how I don't seem motivated to win this silly contest we're having. What he told me probably changed not only my life but my kids life...Hell, maybe my grandkids since my kids learned so early.

The convesation went something like this:

Boss: Oh gawd, do you know why it's so important to be a winner at anything you do?

ME: Because it feels good to win?

Boss: FUCK NO!..Making you feel good is your mommy's fucking job. The reason you always want to be a winner is because being a loser SUCKS! And in this life there's only two types...winners and losers...You need to decide which you want to be son.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

What about "non-participant"? I would have walked out on the job if I was in that situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit