Are you materialistic?

by Goldiver 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• St George of England
    St George of England

By WTS standards YES.

However, now I am retired I have the satisfaction of not having to rely on 'Satans Old System' take care of me.

I know of many JW's who have never had a job, no intention of getting a job, and get by on benefit. Yet they have nothing good to say about the system that feeds them.

George

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

no we were never materialistic. we made do when we were witnesses as we preached it was only temporary. i don't think i've changed that much.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

From what I own I tend toward minimalism. I have no car, tv, nor any of the accoutrements generally attributed to wealth.

However, I cherish any wealth I have created.

I teach a financial accounting class and always make the point that you are not rich based upon what you own, your wealth is defined on the simple formula of assets minus liabilities. As long as you focus on the equity section of your personal account you will continue to grow wealthy - and that is a very good thing. And is something you will never read in the Awake! magazine.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Jesus walked or rode on donkeys to show he was not materialisic. Why do CO's and DO's need new cars every 4-5 years? Why does the WTBTS need a new, multi million dollar complex? Why do so many elders, MS's, and wannbe's need expensive suits, shirts, ties, and shoes?

Just asking!

eyeuse2badub

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I arranged a walking trip to South America with my 18 year old son and arranged a side trip to do some whale watching in the Straits of Magellan. While my wife realized that she and my 7 year old son with her could not join the walking trip because ti was too arduous she gave me a hard time about not getting them along for the 2 night 1 day whale watching trip, which I admit was a bit pricey but fantastic and well worth it. I thought but refrained from saying (I have learnt my lessons in that regard) that it would have been incredibly decadent and materialistic for me to have flown them all the way from London just to join us for that trip and so I was doing her a favour by not exposing her to such materialism. It also occurred to me that for worldly people like me and my 18 year old son who will shortly be bird feed, it is important to have such experiences but for someone who will live forever in an earthly paradise where wild animals, including humpback whales, are tame (perhaps it will be possible to swim with or even ride humpback whales after this wicked system of things is brought to an end), such experiences are unnecessary. Still I have had to agree to take her on some equivalently extravagant trip in the future to compensate for not coming with me and my 18 year old by my first wife.

The point of this is that she entirely lacks consistency on the issue of materialism and while she is generally frugal and happy to criticise others for being materialistic she also does not mind spending the money I earn from my Satan-inspired career made possible by my Satan-inspired university degrees including for the purposes of travel. Very much a double standard.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

One is accused of being materialistic if he earns enough money (thanks to vocational training) to afford decent clothes, non-government housing and refuses to bail out friends in the Hall who choose to work menial jobs (pet shop workers, cashiers, laborers, you know the type) so that they can pioneer.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

YES! i freely admit it. What is the problem?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JustVisiting:

Yes, you are absolutely correct that you will be viewed as "materialistic" if you: "...refuse(s) to bail out friends in the Hall who choose to work menial jobs...so that they can pioneer". Yes, this was my observation way back when and I am sure nothing has changed.

Mind you, you will be criticized by these hypocritical fools just for having the decent job. They can all go to hell, as far as I am concerned.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Yep, I've given cold hard cash to pioneers in the days prior to a DC and then they acted like I owed them that generosity by snubbing me at the very next meeting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JustVisiting:

This is a sad situation. Unfortunately, the religion's policies have caused and continue to enable these deadbeats.

They hope to use guilt to con people into giving money to people who never wanted to work for a living and/or who have messed up their lives following the religion's no-college/no-career policies.

Just the idea of belonging to something where the people are all coming up to you and constantly asking for money is very repulsive......I honestly don't see how responsible working people would want to stay in this religion with people who are no better than pan-handlers. Frankly, I think it's headed for trouble. But, I certainly don't care since I am very much out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit