Well my JW elder dad has lost his job...

by BU2B 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

You are in a tough situation, BU2B. Without giving yourself away, could you point out a few of the times WT has told followers they will not grow old in this system? Let them know how important you feel it is for them to try and make a secure financial position for themselves, as they are obviously ageing in this system. For practical purposes. Do not say anything anti wt right now. Use the over-lapping generation thing to your advantage, cause if I understand it, it could be another 50-100 years, correct?

It is time for you to start networking for them. Bring them into it, talk to anyone & everyone who might know where your Dad could find employment, and your Mom as well. There are people who support their families doing her type of work.Gently let her know that it's time for her to help your Dad now. Where is that scripture about the capable wife? Your Dad may have to make a career change, maybe you could help him to explore options?

It might take some time, but I'm sure they could both find employment. And you have to ignore the hints of moving in. Gently helping them find work may get the point across. All the best to you, and I hope your parents find work soon. This must be hard emotionally on them as well.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Good Ideas Rudereadhead.. we will try to help them find employment so they can make it. I know they can do it. Most people are struggling today.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

It is sad to see how many bought into the promise that they would never grow old sick, and as a result have no plan for what should be the best years of someones life.. Yet the WT keeps at it telling the next generation of dubbies the same load of BS.

I'm in my mid 30s. When I was a child my siblings and I would do the math on our own (my parents were not nearly the hardcore JWs yours are).

If the generation started in 1914 and a generation is 70 to 80 years according to Psalms, then the last possible year Armegeddon could come was 1994. I was scheduled to graduate in 1997, so I would never get to dawn a cap and gown.

As I got into my mid 20s, after the generation teaching was conveniently modified in 1995, it seemed like people my age had been handed a raw deal. Of course, as I got older and began to examine the religion critically, I discovered that every generation (using the real defintion not the fake WT one) had been similarly bamboozled. I learned about 1975. I bought the book "Children" from Ebay and learned that the WT was telling kids in the 1940s not to get married because the end was so near. Those kids would now be in their 80s. If you want to go back far enough, you can trace it back to the Millerites and the Great Disappointment of 1844.

Few things are truly unique. Just a reptition of the same manure that's come before us.

• nugget
    nugget

It takes a lot of hard work for any arrangement such as this to be successful. If their habits are very different from yours and if they have no intention of contributing to expenses then it is likely to be a disaster that will end with you griping at one another constantly. Even when your goals are the same living in close proximity to others can be frustrating and stressful.

They are approaching your wife thinking that she is the soft option and most likely to be sympathetic. However remember when you have guests your home is not your own, you can never relax. You find that other people's clutter starts filling spaces and that you are being judged on how your spend your time and resources. Be very firm, if your parents are not at the end of their resources and they have the capacity to look after themselves then there is no necessity for you to have them live with you.

Be united and consistent. No they cannot live with you as you cannot afford to fund their lifestyle choice.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Thanks Nugget- so true. My parents certainly have different goals than mine, seeing as they are "trying to get closer to Jehovah and his organization" while I am trying to extract myself and my immediate family from it.

neverendingjourney- Ditto

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

JEHOVAH WILL PROVIDE!!! Seriously. Write a letter to the GB and ask them to financially assist your parents. Tell them that you are too poor to help. I bet your dad gets a check in no time.

Seriously though, that sucks. The WT study about some getting impatient about the END(tm) not coming was a total crock of s***. Why have some become impatient? Maybe because of dumba** articles like the 1968 Awake!!! Your parents are victims of prognosticators. Remember Luke 21:8 and plan for the calamity of old age.

DD

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Offer suggestions to your parents; explain that their change in circumstances is no different to all the Bethelites who have been booted from their Org "homes", and now have to copy the apostle Paul's example by working while they do their ministry. Paul never lived off anyone's generosity, and yet he excelled in the preaching work far more than any other! Lovely example to imitate, Mom & Dad!! Go for it!!

And tell them to suggest the same thing to their C.O. & his wife!

• piztjw
    piztjw

"She would rather just continue with her pioneer lifestyle, hoping others take care of her needs"

Sounds like some of the piousneers in my town, and some of the eldurrs. They expected me to provide much "free" labor to keep them going, yet when I finally had enough and told them the "free" ride was over I suddenly was a sonuvabitch.

I may sound hard-hearted, but let them be like the birds of the field that God takes care of. They can get out and scratch and peck for food like the rest of us.

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

Yeah. Let those JW parents move in with you and you can kiss your marriage goodbye. Hope you don't have kids.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Wait on Jehovah and Jehovah will Provide "

Let me Guess. Your parents named you Jehovah at birth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit