What do you say if you get asked "Are you an Apostate?"

by KateWild 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Many who are trapped may use acusitory language. They have bee indoctrinated to do so, they have been taught everything on the internet is a lie if it's going against the WT.

I agree. The GB is hyping the apostate talk more and more. It's being covered in every, assembly, convention etc. They are demonizing the term "apostate" I'm not sure how to combat this yet but I think it's important to differentiate yourself from the JW definition, if you are trying to help someone out. Hopefully, in some way this will start to open the eyes of the one you are helping to see that there is something up with the WT need to dehumanize former members.

I know for me when, I first came to this site and read real raw stories from current and former members, they did not fit the definition of apostate as I knew it. That set off a roller coaster of emotions causing me to question what really is going on?

• KateWild
    KateWild

the WT need to dehumanize former members.-kiddingme

That is such a good point, WT have a need to shut up former members in this age of the internet. As cults go when you join, the recruiter gives some reason not to talk to former members and there is no legitimate reason for leaving. This is all in CCMC, Steven Hassan. Then penny has just dropped now.

Putting the textbook solution to a real life conversation is liberating, thanks for bouncing ideas. Kate xx

• besty
    besty

The Pharisees would have considered Jesus an apostate - correct?

Paul and the apostles were all apostates - correct?

The Spanish Inquisition was established to identify apostates - correct?

Anybody who rejects Islam is an apostate - correct?

Anybody changing religion to JW is an apostate - correct?

Anybody rejecting the JW doctrine is an apostate - correct?

Life goes on.

There is nothing a high control group loves more than to define themselves by opposition to an arch-enemy, real or contrived. Its been going on for thousands of years...

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I would say: 'Get behind me Satan!'

• KateWild
    KateWild

There is nothing a high control group loves more than to define themselves by opposition to an arch-enemy, real or contrived. Its been going on for thousands of years...-besty

Good point persecution complex, "they are all lying about us because we are God's people" syndrome

• besty
    besty

when you can demonstrate to a true believer that they are not unique (in this case with their apostate bogeyman doctrine) it makes their claims to being 'the truth' a little less plausible

"but we ARE the truth"

ye

"And I'm the Peoples Front of Judea"

• bigmac
    bigmac

apparently--in january 1981-the local congregation--on the isle if wight UK---labelled me as an apostate. i wasnt there -of course--and ive never been back either.

i didnt know what they meant--someone told me it meant i'd joined another religion--ha ha--fat chance. 1 crazy religion is enough in 1 lifetime.

frankly--i dont give a toss what label they want to call me.

i call them the ONE word they really hate--CULT

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would claim it and thank the person for the compliment. Next, I would mock the stereotype the Witnesses use and contrast it with my actual self. Kate, if you start attending meetings, the trend would be for you to be reconciled with the Witnesses. A lot more was very wrong than your JC, IMO. It is your life. This transition period must be hell. Times have changed Witness culture. I forgot whether you are formally disfellowshiped or not.

I do not flirt well with men. The only group of men I feel confident with are Bethelites on certain subway trains in NY. I know who they are from the mere sight of them. Their body language and dress is so different from other men on the subway. Normally, I am in corporate attire so I feel empowered by the clothes. I start talking about Bethel and relate family experiences. I purposefully do not discuss my status. They are so excited to meet a sister whose parents knew Rutherford, Knorr, and Franz. My greatgrandfather and relatives were active Bible Students. The excitement are on their faces is something to see. Finally, they ask. I say I am affiliated with no Kingdom Hall. I keep my voice calm and announce that I attended Columbia and was required to read the New Testament in consecutive verses. What an eye opener! I stand up extra tall (I am tall) and move down the train or exit. It is fun to be able to flit a bit. I suppose I can flirt with them b/c I don't give a damn about their viewpoints.

Apostate is a high honor for me. Do you know how many cool people in history were Roman Catholic apostates? I am Anglican so between the religion and law I know a lot of British history for an American. Martin Luther. Galileo. The list is wondrous. Michelangelo mocked the cardinals of his day by putting their portraits on demon characters in the Last Judgement. They were not happy but the pope would not fix the commission. American society was founded almost completely by apostates from Anglicanism.

African-Americans and gay people adopt the gutter words used to describe them. So many gays call themselves queer.

I have yet to meet an apostate who resembled the WT descripton. Using the term mocks the WT. To be truthful. I don't believe I would embrace "apostate" immediately after leaving the Witnesses.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

By Jehovah's Witnesses definitiion, yes, but they say

it like it's a bad thing.

• humbled
    humbled

Kate,

when I was searching for some answers about "truth" lol, I found an archive with a letter from a Gallic bishop of the 5th century--the note was a response to a "new lite" edict that now made his old lite heretical. He responded--"But no, YOU are the heretics!"

Apostates? What a laugh that they hit anyone over the head with that question!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit