What do you say if you get asked "Are you an Apostate?"

by KateWild 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am reuniting with past students and return visits.

I met up with a young lad I used to call on. He is not baptised, but at university in his 20's and living away from home. His mother is a JW and his Father is not. We were chatting about our circumstances. He has decided not to go to meetings any more. I told him I am the same and explained why.

I thought it was good news that he had read paedophile reports on the internet and I said in his language "What do you understand by TTATT? trantslate for me in English"

His response immediately was "The truth to the truth. Are you an apostate?"

How would you have responded?

I asked him if he thought I was an apostate. I said I disagreed with my JC. I said the imperfect men guided by holy spirit was a paradox, and I told him that my JC did not apply the principle laid out in the bible about the prodigal son. His response was a resounding "NO"

After more than a hour of coffee chat we parted on good terms, he still believes it's "The Truth" and is now planning to go to a meeting in his language and is encouraging me to attend. He said he will sit with me at the back if I do.

Did I do okay? How would you have responded?

Love Kate xx

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

"I don't use labels, it is no different than racism"

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

"I don't use labels, it is no different than racism"

Mmhm, yes. Yes it is.

In answer to the OP - Yes. I was never baptised, so I'm not an apostate, in Jdub terms, but I still claim the title if questioned... Opposed just doesn't have the same ring to it!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Para, nice answer. I have just read your story from 7 years ago. Thank you for your experience. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Lucid, thanks for being honest, but I can see para's point. He see's labels as divisive, but you don't see division as a bad thing if it helps people see TTATT. Two different perspectives.

Kate xx

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Nope.

I was simply pointing out that they are very different things.

Labels can be divisive. Racism just is. (It's pedantic of me, I was just picking up on it out because I'm anal, I'll stfu about it now)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Whether the label is divisive or not is almost immaterial. Is it ACCURATE?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well is it accurate to you nic?

Are you an apostate?

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

According to the WT - the famous mentally diseased issue - you are an apostate if you try to draw loyal witnesses away with false teachings. Obviously if you go on a site for ex's, then you're not trying to draw away loyal JW's. So going on a site such as this doesn't make you an apostate.

Here's the relevant WT clip:

How can we protect ourselves against false teachers? The Bible’s counsel regarding how to deal with them is clear.(Read Romans 16:17; 2 John 9-11.)“Avoid them,” says God’s Word. Other translations render that phrase “turn away from them,”“keep away from them,” and “stay away from them!” There is nothing ambiguous about that inspired counsel. Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease. You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are “mentally diseased,” and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings.(1 Tim. 6:3, 4) Jehovah, the Great Physician, tells us to avoid contact with them. We know what he means, but are we determined to heed his warning in all respects?<<

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

YES! Proud of it too. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit