What do you say if you get asked "Are you an Apostate?"

by KateWild 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

The WT is full of 'loaded language'. Also, their definitions of the phrases they use are not necessarily the same as how the rest of the world uses the same words and phrases.

I would first ask the questioner to define his understanding of the word/title in question. Then, without applying a title, I would (maybe) consider stating my position/opinion.

Also, I would never use the abbreviation TTATT with a sympathetic JW. I might use the phrase "The truth about 'the truth'", but not the word 'T-TATT' or 'TTATT' itself. That is a sure why to get yourself labeled.

Plus I don't think it sounds right. But that's just me.

-Aude.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

How about asking the person: "What is your definition of apostate"?

Then, give your definition. If your definition describes you, there is no shame in saying "yes". The difficult part is that the person may only hear lalalalalaYES. And YES may be all he/she needs to hear to put you in their Bad Person/Keep Away category...depending on where they are at in their mindset.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

I would say No, I'm not. I don't use the label 'apostate' because to me it implies that the JW would be the true religion. I just say that I'm no longer one of JWs or that I don't believe their teachings anymore. I know, it is too long and it doesn't have the same ring to it, but I think it's more accurate.

I believe JWs are apostates from the Bible teachings, as well as from historical Christianity. They are just one of those homemade religions made up of hodgepodge of wierd and marginal ideas. Can you really be an apostate of an apostate religion?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Could always go the hard of hearing route too!

Embossed plate? Those can be difficult to wash.

Phosphate? I wasn't that good in chemistry.

A floss steak? No I like my think and juicy.

A moss rake? You should be able to just rip it up with gloves on!

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m going out on a limb here , I have not read the previous posts so shoot me down at your leisure .

Apostate , as defined in dictionaries , both secular or bible dictionaries as far as I know is defined as one who rejects the teachings of God / Christ am I right ?

Jehovahs witnesses , aka , the WTB&TS have changed that definition "Apostate" to anyone who challenges or criticises their doctrines or interpretation of scripture.

This is not the first time they have changed the meaning of a word . " Generation" for example .

As this site testifies too their are very many people here who have not abandend God or Jesus Christ and are very supportive of the scriptures .

So, by the accepted definition of the word apostate, by scholars , both biblical and secular , it doesnt apply to jehovahs witnesses .

Maybe thats grounds for jehovahs witnesses to sue the WTB&TS for wrongful dismissall .

smiddy

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The R&F members will not dare to put a question like "Are you an Apostate?" to you.

The elders right away will bring charges aginst you: "You are an Apostate!".

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I just say "No."

apostate ˈapəsteɪt / noun

1. 1. a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle. " after fifty years as an apostate he returned to the faith "
      synonyms: dissenter, heretic, nonconformist ; More
    adjective
    1. 1. abandoning a religious or political belief or principle. " an apostate Roman Catholic "

I didn't leave any church. I didn't join one. Many of the Dubs I know, did leave a church to join the Rutherfordites, so that makes them apostates by dictionary definitions.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Even if I wished to go back to the "religious belief" that I left a few years back, I could not. No religion on Earth teaches the "religious belief" that I left.

The WT chnaged it all with the AGM 2012 and the July '13 WT.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

In our little discussion the other day, my wife asked me this question. I told her according to the latest understanding/explanation of the word by the GB, I must be. I highlighted the fact that anyone who even thinks different ideas is now an apostate. Then I got on my soapbox and started talking about the importance of honesty. The conversation actually ended pretty well. I reassured her that I would rather have this type of honest open conversation than not. Prior to that we just avoided it like the plague. Not sure what happens next...

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

If you smell shit check your top lip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit