What do you say if you get asked "Are you an Apostate?"

by KateWild 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hi guys 25 posts since my lats visit to this thread. Thanks guys. The ones that stand out the most.

Apogs- Thanks for your advice and understanding. You see clearly my young friends situation. Thanks for advising me to go the gentle route.

PA - Yes he is a number4, but he reads the internet and has been warned by family members we're all lying, now he knows the truth about my Dfing, hopefully he will see the truth about other things soon.

Band-both your posts were great and very useful

OUTLAW- LOLas usual keep 'em coming

Everyone else thanks for your support, love Kate xx

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What do you say if you get asked "Are you an Apostate?

Haven't been asked that. If I was, I would reply indignately "Absolutely not! I'm merely following the Bible's advice (Habakkuk, Jeremiah) to "wait on Jehovah" to resolve some serious issues that have disturbed me. I have confidence that He will do so in His own time."

Doc

• tiki
    tiki

Q: Are you an apostate?

A: Absolutely NOT. I am a heretic.

• DJS
    DJS

Kate,

Since you are obviously associated with the JW world (one toe in one and 4/5 feet out it seems), you likely have to tiptoe around the loaded WT language. I understand that, especially with the audiience you describe. Otherwise, I would tell everyone to leave behind the WT specific language ASAP. As I have mentioned many times, I do not and will not use WT specific language, as it was designed to control mindless people or make mindful people mindless.

I don't even use the TTATT acronym. There isn't anything about the WT that is 'the truth.' Change your language people; change the adjectives you use to describe behaviors and lifestyles that the WT or your upbringing attached with pejorative or denigrating labels and you will be amazed at how fast your mind/behavior follows.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Hey, the GB just changed 9 or more key doctrines in the last year. I'd say THEY are the apostates

But the fact is, the term "apostate" is a Hegelian label meant to marginalize and demonize, to separate.

Once someone is labelled an "apostate" all thinking stops.

• blondie
    blondie

God is my judge, not humans.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes. Jesus was considered an apostate by the Temple authorities. The High Priest had to rend his garments b/c what Jesus said offended Jewish belief. Plenty of people saw his miracles. Many believed Jesus was able to manipulate the powers b/c he was in league with Satan. How many times was he questioned by Pharisees?

Paul was a mighty apostate. Abraham was one. Was Mandela a South African who committed violent acts of treason or father of his country? I can assure you that the Times did not used to give him great coverage.

It is something to accept with pride. Of course, if you are trying to bridge world views with active Witnesses, it might shut doors.

I tease Witnesses today with my status. When they started looking at my crosses and posters in a funny way, I pretend to swoop down on them as though I were Satan. They could not leave soon enough. No more visits.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

If I could bear to talk to a jw long enough for them to figure out I was an apostate I'd probably say "oh! you're still part of that cult?"

• Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

Are you an Apostate?

A: Well that depends on the context in which you are using the term.

[For the Christian] The biblical view of Christian apostasy is renouncing your faith in Jesus [Hebrews 6:4-8] having a confession of Jesus and later resorting back to the religious traditions and sacrifices that were meant to point to Jesus.

In other instances, especially for the church in Corinth, people would confess Jesus yet would live in a way inconsistent of thier faith [Sleeping with thier step mother, getting drunk on communion wine etc..]

From a biblical standpoint, no I am not an apostate.

However I have learned over the years in the Watchtower organization that the label "Apostate" should always be used in a negative sense. However Jesus was in many ways an apostate against the religious system of his day.

He rebelled against the religious system because even though the leaders knew the word of God, they did not honor it. One particular ocassion Jesus found himself eating with tax collectors [Matthew 9] and other people labeled "bad association" The pharisees saw him eating with them and said to Jesus disciples "Why does you teacher eat with such scum?"
    Jesus reply was profound: "Sick people need a doctor, healthy people dont. Now I want you to go learn the meaning of this verse [Hosea 6:6] I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices" For I have come to call not those who THINK they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

This brings me back full circle to your question. Am I an apostate according to the bible? No.
    Am I an apostate against the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Oh yes, for they like the pharisees know nothing of mercy, only sacrifice. I could never again be apart of a religious system that abuses the scriptures such as they.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit