Jesus' Teachings - Helpful or Harmful?

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

The sayings of Jesus are just another thread in the tapestry of spiritualist thinkers. The ideals he espoused are universal. They are strikingly similar to the Buddha in many respects and this is to be expected in that the teachings of the Buddha were well known during the time of Jesus. What has endangered his teachings is the manner in which others have manipulated and adulterated the core of his teachings. Nothing that is actually attributed to Jesus appears hurtful of harmful in any way. Taken out of context, they become devoid of spirituality and become propagandalist fodder!

SOP

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We know that Confucius wrote the golden rule in The Analects about 500BC. Plato discussed what it means to be a 'just' man c.400BC. Buddha taught similar things around the same time period. Whoever wrote down what Jesus said was very late indeed discussing ethics and morality and certainly 'Jesus' did not bring a new teaching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Some of the things Jesus said in the bible are practical and helpful advice to everyday living, however there are many things stated and unstated that are quite damaging to peoples lives here are a few examples.

1. Matt 6:33 as JW's we witnessed first hand how damaging this core teaching is. Never getting an education, or preparing for retirement is never going to end well for anyone who follows Jesus.
    2. Jesus cult statement and ultimatam that he came to divide families, giving license for family to be shunned or treated as second priority.
    3. The command to give god your best and endlessly preach forever (isn't 2,000 years enough already?).
    4. The unspecificity and vagueness in many of his statements and explanations that lead to so much doubt and confusion. This is well evidenced by the thousands of sects of Christianity out there.
  • adamah
    adamah

Jgnat said- One could say that Windows was pirated ideas from better minds, and I heard a compelling argument that Bob Dylan's lyrics were borrowed. Not original perhaps; human wisdom repeats itself on reoccurring themes.

Except you're forgetting that believers actually think Jesus walked on water, resurrected the dead, and is the one who will judge them on the ultimate fate of their eternal souls. They think Jesus is God's son.

As such, the words, wisdom, and thoughts of Jesus should be heads and shoulders above anything said before and since, and not reflect the ancient Worldview and contain basic scientific errors which point not to God's glory, but to the sentiments and thoughts of a Jewish male who lived in 30CE who was strongly influenced by his own culture (i.e. prior rabbinical thought and sayings, some coming from the oral traditions which later were recorded in the Talmud). Many Xians haven't even read the OT, and hence don't even realize when he was often quoting principles found in the Tanakh (the Jewish Bible).

Jgnat said- The sustaining power of Jesus' message I think, must be the time and place of the message. Before Jesus, Kings were gods. Afterwards, separation of church and state. Eventually this morphed in to personal faith and representative government.

Even after Jesus, Emperors were still considered Gods. It wasn't until Xianity was adopted as the official State religion of the Roman Empire that the situation started to change, and largely due to the smart move of outsourcing the deity role to an iconic image who couldn't reveal his mortal traits by growing old and dying: it's pretty-much impossible for someone who's already been dead for 300 yrs to slip up and reveal their mortal nature (perhaps by having a case of diarrhea)!

I doubt many historians would agree with that assessment of Jesus' influence on the development of representative government; when it comes to Judaism, separation of church and State began long before Jesus walked the Earth (i.e. after the independent Jewish Nation ceased to exist, circa 600 BCE after military defeat by Babylonians). So except for rare periods (eg the period of the Hasmonean Dynasty), Jews were allowed to keep their religious practices intact, but had to use the laws of their overlords (whether Persian, Greek, Roman, etc) when it came to adminstering civil/criminal justice. All the stipulations of stoning etc found in Mosaic Law were often actually just theoretical discussions, only, since the law of the land prevailed (in rare cases, the Jews were allowed to exercise limited form of self-rule, but with severe restrictions placed on the cases, i.e. no death penalty administered, which is why the whole shunning practice emerged since the Jews weren't allowed to stone their own members to death).

Jesus set the cause of separation of church and state back, what, 1,500 years, since it took that long AFTER Jesus and Xianity were adopted by the Holy Roman Empire as the official State religion for the principle of separation of church and State to reemerge; and not without much effort, conflict, and bloodshed, where in the interim monarchies ruled by the concept of a Divine right to rule.

King James separated from the Papal authority in Rome by declaring himself head of the Church of England, but still that was obviously a mix of State and religion. We have to wait until the 17th Century and Age of Enlightenment for John Locke to coin the term, and for America to be founded.

So, as much as it is painful to accept, Xianity actually set the cause of separation BACK, since Judaism would've likely lingered as a blip on the radar had an off-shoot cult not morphed into Xianity we see today. But to credit Jesus with ENCOURAGING separation of church and State (or tolerance, or even basic human rights, when Jesus didn't denounce slavery but endorsed it, etc) is a bit much....

Adam

• jgnat
    jgnat

All right, first of all don't lump all believers in to one basket. It is a specific subset of fundamentalists who read the bible and miracles literally. They are also easy targets. At least temper your comments to a more sophisticated reader.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Too tired, I would go along with your list with exception of 4. I prefer broad and vague. Founders and visionaries are typically so. It is the next generation invested in preserving the new norm who codify. I think institutions lose some of their vitality as soon as they start erecting their fence. Without the fence, how are they to tell themselves apart from their neighbour? They can't and perhaps we are better off if we don't.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Jesus endorsed basic children's rights, and also spoke up for the poor, the disabled, and untouchables.

As a catalyst for change, there is no doubt that the icon of Jesus was successful.

• jgnat
    jgnat

And tax collectors. He was surely the first and last to stand up for the rights of short tax collectors.

• galaxie
    galaxie

jesus' teachings assumes that what christians perceive to be his teachings are correctly recorded remember jesus wrote not 1 word of the bible i.e. anyone who says [jesus said such and such] should prefix it with the words this or that person says jesus says then you have to believe that these so called holy spirit inspired people got it correct without any personal benefit agenda this all 2000 thousand years ago remember in the last 150 years of so called holy spirit inspired bible students JWs GB not even to mention the intervening 1850 years they have made so many cockups its not even funny lol dont insult your intelligence[to whom it may concern]be true to your own good judgement and live your life according to how you would like to be treated it is definately within your own reasoning no matter what you[or anyone else]thinks are jesus teachings

• kaik
    kaik

What we know about Jesus, is secondary source. He did not left any written material and most of the gospels were written 20-30 years after his death. I personally like the human site of Jesus that JW do not bother to teach. For me the wake up call was the story of the Jesus and Samaritan woman at the well. Woman, who had multiple husbands in her past and lived in concubinate relationship (there are articles that disputes it) as said in John 4:18. Last year I had visitited my JW relatives and I had read this story in the magazine that I bought with me to read on the bus. We eventually came to this article and I was very suprised that my JW relatives had no recollection of this story. For JW that I grew up with Jesus is like conqueror who like Gengis Khan will take over the world and I was constantly remained in my childhood that earth will be covered with so many bodies that birds will eat them. This is the vision my JW family had.

I will say the biggest disservice toward Christianity came from the founder itself, the Apostle Paul. He was antisemitic, homophobic, intollerant, and misogynic bigot, who eventually had to seek a protection from his fellow Jews in Rome at Nero itself...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit