Theists - does your god DESERVE to be respected or worshipped?

by cantleave 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

unstopableravens - Robert matthew 4:4, and the father says the son should be worshiped hebrews 1:5, 6

unstopableravens - Or verses 5-9 in matthew 4

Hi unstopableravens, If MT 22:37-38 is the greatest commandment, is it possible to love God by following the teachings and examples of Jesus Christ and applying those principles to interpet Bible verses such as MT 4-4 and MT 5-10? What is your definition of worship? My definition would be showing some form of subjugation to a deity like bowing down to Satan in MT 4:9. If we could agree with a definition of worship, that it involves some form of subjugation, and that when Jesus Christ quotes scriptures it does need to be interpreted using MT 22:37-40, then is it possible to intrepret what Jesus said in MT 4:4 and MT 4:10 to Satan as nothing more than live a moral and truthful life? If we could agree with a definition of worship involving some form of subjugation and that Jesus Christ was telling Satan to live a moral and truthful life, would you agree then that God does not want to subjugate people but wants them to live a moral and truthful life?

Mt 22: 37-38 27 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ [ c ] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

MT 4:4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”

MT 4:5-10

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’ [ c ] ”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’ [ d ] ”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

The Bible is a difficult book to understan and people interpret it differently. I am only offering my interpretation. I hope that people interpret the Bible free from coercion by others and live a moral and truthful life.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• KateWild
    KateWild

KateWild, you sound like a deist.- baltar

Perhaps, but I am not labelling myself just yet I may decide I am a pantheist or polytheist, but I don't like labels. I had enough of them in WT, I am lebeless for now and I like it. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I think katewild is an atheist waiting to happen, the only thing stopping her is that she's afraid she won't be able to argue with cofty anymore ;)-zound

lol good one, but actually it would mean I can't shout at God anymore, I would have to accept I will be shouting at myself. I pray too much to think of myself as an atheist. Kate xx

• prologos
    prologos

snare&racket, I like the picture you posted. I would be trembling for fear now in my old age, but in my youth I loved the feeling of the wings biting the air and with lift gaining heights above launching place.

does the maker DESERVE avid worship: no, he did not ask, did he?

does he deserve to be respected? yes. As a parent if you left an inheritence of the quality of life that we have, would that command respect?

ask anyone if he would except eventual death, some inevitable pain, risk-- for the chance to be alive, love, would he/she accept these risks?

Borrowing from the discredited ancient writings:

the worship that is approved, is looking after orphans, widows to make their life worthwhile too.

as to the picture and the fall/flight a step before us : as long as the sun shines (another 4 billion years), there will be lift for those that care to soar.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Its like saying 'the correct way of building a table from ikea by following the instructions, is lame without religion' it literally makes no sense.-snare

The table form Ikea in our house has 8 chairs, but the memories we made, and the emotions we had were religious, not just WT folks, but family, the table is lame without the emotions. Relgion to me is emotional and discovering scientific mysteries, humbles me to look to a more intelligent creator. So I think of God when I build my table from Ikea and my memories, and I think of God when I study Boyles law about gases.

So thinking of God is religious to me, I think about God a lot, and talk about God a lot.

Am I on my way to atheism, I doubt it, but maybe it's CD. Time will tell. Kate xx

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I see you walking the narrow path kate ol' pal, ol' buddy.... But still, what do you mean science is LAME without religion. Science just tells you HOW to look for things, you are talking about the actual THING being observed, that isnt science, thats ...the thing! Science is a set of instructions, its not the table. When we use science to measure how far a star is from us, you can't call the method lame without religion... and science is the method, not the star! There should be NO emotion in the science, that is why the method was invented, to remove human intuition and to turn it into math, a probability of 'x' being true.

For me, science is FREE without religion....just ask Galileo.

Science won't be accurate if we attach a 'with' to its results, the inevitible bias would result in dismissing important answers, or worse, dismissing important questions. One may conclude it would likely lead to some very...'dark ages'.

• KateWild
    KateWild

snare,

It's just missing something, without God, and feels to boring and clinical. Science with religion has a vibrancy, I just feel there is something missing. Don't you? Have you worked with cadavers yet? When working with a live patient there is so much more to learn? Don't you think there is something missing with a cadaver? The life is religion to me, but you're the Doc,

Sam xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

For me, science is FREE without religion....just ask Galileo.-snare

I totally understand you perspective, but I was a convert being a Jew wasn't as restrictive as being a JW. But I feel FREE from organised religion, and I won't be joining any organisation anytime soon.

Sam xx

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I honestly 100% don't feel there is anthing missing without the existence of Zeus, Ra, Buddah, Horesh, Baal

A few years ago, Yaweh was added on that list too.

If you said, LIFE WITHOUT RELIGION SEEMS LAME, then that would make sense to what you are saying. But science is JUST a method for collecting data, it is nothing to do with what you are saying. Not at all.

As for life being lame without religion, that is very personal. It depends what you got out of religion and what you want out of life!

My heart does not pine or miss a murderous, genocidal, evil dictator that was judging my every second. Honestly, really, not a jot! The god you imagine and want does not exist in the bible. Dont take my word for it, read the whole bible and look for him. What you will find will make you shudder, especially now you have the blinkers off.

So ruling out the god of the bible, what godly figure should I imagine? And based on what? What makes me feel good?

Here is the crux of EVERYTHING, the actual red pill and blue pill.

COMFORT or REALITY.... It is everyone's choice to make.

• KateWild
    KateWild

As for life being lame without religion, that is very personal. It depends what you got out of religion and what you want out of life!-snare

Yes it is personal, it just how I feel. I agree the bible is nonesense I read it a few times a week, I don't believe in the God of the bible. But I still pray when I am annoyed, and hopeful. So tell me I am talking to myself snare.

Science is the red pill religion you are offering the blue pill, but I say I want both. Can I have both snare?

Sam xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit