Theists - does your god DESERVE to be respected or worshipped?

by cantleave 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

By worship I mean fervent adoration.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Do I adore learning about atoms and particles? I do because it draws me closer to God. Do I fervently disscuss God at every opportunity? Yes I do. So I suppose on some level I worship God, but I am also very annoyed with God for not acting in cases of suffering. I pray to God about this and I would say my prayers are not respectful, or even listened to.

Kate xx

• baltar447
    baltar447

KateWild, you sound like a deist.

• zound
    zound

I think katewild is an atheist waiting to happen, the only thing stopping her is that she's afraid she won't be able to argue with cofty anymore ;)

Kate, if dawkins annoys you, try reading "god is not great" by christopher hitchens or watch one of his many debates - he says it like it is and is damn entertaining whilst doing so.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

....and consider these logical fallacies that deists may use in their defence...and remember I was a Christian after I left the WBT$ but one day in Church I realised that no one was listening to the earnest prayers........we humans were sorting it out or messing it up all on our own.

1) You cannot prove that God does not exist, so He does.(Burden of Proof Fallacy)

2) There is currently no explanation for this, so God did it (Argument from incredulity fallacy)

3) God exists because the bible/qu’ran/torah says it’s the word of said “on true God” /bible, torah, qu’ran quotes (Circular Reasoning Fallacy)

4) Many people believe God exists so he does (Appeal to belief Fallacy)

5) The bible makes me feel good, so it is true (Appeal to Consequences of a belief Fallacy)

6) I had a personal encounter with God, so it is true (Anecdotal Evidence- Jews and Muslims do as well)

7) I prayed to God and I was cured (Post hoc ergo proptor fallacy)

8) Ontological* Argument (Fallacy of Misplaced Concreteness)

*Because we think something perfect can exist it therefore does exist. Also Existence is wonderful. God is wonderful therefore God has existence.

9) Bible prophecies (Circular Reasoning Fallacy+Red Herring Fallacy+ Self-fulfilling Fallacy+Composition Fallacy+Equivocation)

10) *ignores argument * Argues about something else (Red Herring Fallacy)

11) *ignores argument * You don’t believe in God because you’re dumb, atheist! (Personal Attacks Fallacy)

12) This is all just lies and slander as expected from an atheist (Genetic Fallacy)

• Viviane
    Viviane

If you want to know if God (presuming one exists) is worthy of respect, just check and see if he/she/it behaves as a better or worse parent than you?

• adamah
    adamah

Kate said-

God is not A'morphic and deserves respect in reagrds to scientific discoveries

Well, he isn't anthropomorphic, since it's an adjective; your statement makes no grammatical sense, Since a noun cannot BE an adjective?

I'm guessing you likely don't understand what the term means, so maybe a review is in order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

'Anthropomorphism' is a term that describes what HUMANS do when they ascribe HUMAN traits to NON-HUMAN entities; a simile is 'personification'.

Animals are often anthropomorphized in fairy tales (eg talking animals, or even the talking snake in Genesis is an example of anthromorphism); as the Wikipedia article explains, the wind can be anthropomorphized.

And you're now arguing against the Bible itself, since God IS anthropomorphized throughout the Bible beginning in Genesis, since He's given human traits of speaking, thinking, walking in the garden, physically turning His back on Moses, having a face, hands, or even depicted as possessing human emotions (by getting angry or capable of love), etc.

The authors of Genesis excuse such voluminous anthropomorphic depictions of God by even implying it by saying that humans are made in the image of God (not vice-versa, which is what the authors actually are doing).

So even when you ask the more grammtically-corrected question of if we should anthropomorphize God, it's still a pointless question, when the Bible and the majority of believers constantly do it already, and can't help but do otherwise when they think of the God depicted in the Bible.

The basic irony of such contradictory statements is pointed out by images such as these (which is grammatically incorrect, since it should read: "I am unknowable, but I am also anthropomorphized" (in order to make me more personable and relatable))

Adam

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" Do I adore learning about atoms and particles? I do because it draws me closer to God. "

How can learning about things that are proven to exist draw you closer to something that by all accounts does not and has never been seeen or proven to have accomplished anything?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

sure I'll take the bait yes God deserves to be worshipped he's the only thing that deserves worship or honoras the Creator revelations chapter 5 verse 12 the lamb is worthy to receive the honor and glory the power and the riches in fact even atheits should give him worship because if it weren't for God there would be no atheist

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Unstop, please see Punkies list of fallacies above, you managed to use about three I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit