The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Snare - that video was genius!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty,

Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilatehad mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” What do you think Jesus was trying to say here?

I believe Jesus disentangled sin from suffering; What people suffer has no co-relation with their sins.

Yet, he definitively tied sin with salvation or failing to attain salvation.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

So we are agreed that god didn't send the tsunami because the people of the Pacific Rim were especially sinful.

Pat Robinson was wrong although he did have the Old Testament on his side.

So was it more negligence than nastiness?

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

This thread is definitely not worthless and it would be disingenuous to suggest that.

If a point is invalid, it will be exposed as such. If it is valid it's only beneficial to have it reaffirmed. That's why debates like this are important.

What kept us in a cult was a suppression of critical thinking. Threads like this show how important it is that we not only know what we believe but why we believe it.

Believing in things without evidence or pretending to know things we don't know is an unreliable method to base our knowledge and by extension our lives on. So many better choices can be made, and so much more quality can be brought into our lives too, by an evidence-based worldview and reason.

This is the best way to advance our species and our world.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I think this thread can be fearful as many posts have been made to shatter a persons faith.

Anyway most of us have much in common in that the J.W religion has fosterd this community so its nice to learn from posters how they now think.

In some ways its sad to see posters carrying regardless of changing another posters point of view...i mean thats what we dod as witnesses we never listernd to anothers right to have a different point of view. We were always right...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Since leaving I have become really humble, in other words, I am now Perfect ! LOL

It took humility to leave, to admit I had been duped for 58 bloody years !

I no longer have to be right personally about everything, and as new information comes to me I often have to change my POV, but if someone on here posts arrant nonsense, I will point out that it is such, well, only if I get in before Cofty posts !

This Thread is excellent, it really shows that there is no answer to "The Problem of Evil" , which Christian thinkers have wrestled with for Centuries.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

phizzy yes there is no answer to evil...and i now desire to cram as much happiness into the fleeting hours, before i approach the end of life. For tomorrow i will sit down to eat breakfeast and do the washing and maybe an earthquake will end it...but i do not believe such an end is a sacrifice by God to achive a higher purpose.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Snare that is one fantastic little video message.

• cantleave
    cantleave

phizzy yes there is no answer to evil..

Yep - Shit Happens!!

• caliber
    caliber

Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilatehad mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” What do you think Jesus was trying to say here?

Maybe you should consider your actions now because this life is uncertain, death can happen in almost any moment. But there no need to perish because of Christ ...be quick about repentence while you are yet alive.

I believe Jesus disentangled sin from suffering; What people suffer has no co-relation with their sins.

Yet, he definitively tied sin with salvation or failing to attain salvation.

Eden

Good point, so in otherwords not all things that appear equal are or at least can not always be understood by a simple parallel alone

a bogus proof or false conclusion... assumption.. "all accidental death is direct from God for sins"

A ham sandwich is better than nothing...
    Nothing is better than eternal happiness...
    Therefore...
    A ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness.

I believe the word perish rather than death is no accident in the above scripture and this one ...

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.(John 3:16)

It is essential to comprehend the difference between(1)unforeseen death and (2) judgement from God which is to perish with no future hope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit