The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

I am sure that you possess the mental capacity to get your point across without resorting to petty and 'feeble' insults. (feeble-minded, weak-willed, beleivers are empty inside and have gaping holes to fill... ) I am sure you have even lectured other atheists on the harm they might cause for using them when trying to discuss faith with beleivers. Your insults are not even true... feeble-minded would be to against what one knows to be true, caving into the pressure and insults and ridicule of some here, just to be accepted and appear rational and logical... whatever it is that would get the approval of such people.

Tone-trolling, too, TEC?

How about just answering the question Cofty asked a page or two back, in a simple YES or NO manner, and then you're free to spout mindless excusiology to rationalize away the display of weak-minded morality-free logic which relies on an "appeal to authority"?

Caliber ironically resorted to using ammunition with BB-gun-sized caliber by citing the lyrics of Garth Brooks: can you come up with anything slightly better, or does BB-gun-sized ammunition possess sufficient 'stopping power' to completely stop all critical thoughts in their tracks inside your head, too?

Adam

• tec
    tec

I'm not the one quote mining and misrepresenting others' views. Someone doesn't understand something... simply ask. Don't assume. That is one of the problems in this world. Assuming what someone means... rather than simply asking them to clarify. That is also a problem with 'christianity'. Assuming what Christ (or God) meant and imposing that assumption onto everyone else... instead of asking Him.

I'm guilty of having assumed what others mean also... but then i have no one to blame but myself for mistaking and/or misrepresenting them... rather than just asking them to clarify. I try not to assume. But I am sure that it is an ongoing lesson.

And if I am such a waste of your time and effort... by all means... ignore my posts and ignore me. I don't need your time and effort... or attention and affirmation.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Adamah... what is it called when instead of arguing the points or discussing the topic... someone goes around pointing out the fallacies that everyone is using in their argument? There has got to be a name for that (okay, I am sure people have PLENTY of names for that, lol)... but perhaps it is even a fallacy itself?

Peace,

tammy

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

And if I am such a waste of your time and effort... by all means... ignore my posts and ignore me.

Done and done.

• cofty
    cofty

ditto

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I don't need your time and effort... or attention and affirmation.

Sure you don't.

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

I'm not the one quote mining and misrepresenting others' views. Someone doesn't understand something... simply ask. Don't assume. That is one of the problems in this world. Assuming what someone means... rather than simply asking them to clarify. That is also a problem with 'christianity'. Assuming what Christ (or God) meant and imposing that assumption onto everyone else... instead of asking Him.

Sigh.... We're back there, are we?

God apparently doesn't feel the need to break radio silence to save the lives of 250k from a tsunami, but apparently Jesus is ours for the asking and willing to let us in on the secret recipe for resurrection (baby's teeth).

It's like watching a puppy chasing it's own tail; cute for the entertainment value at first, but eventually becomes rather pathetic when the puppy grows into a full-sized dog with an OCD-like fixation on it's own tail, and cannot stop chasing it 24/7, never figuring out that the tail is part of the dog's own body (the dog seems trapped in a permanent case of "body integrity identity disorder").

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Adamah... what is it called when instead of arguing the points or discussing the topic... someone goes around pointing out the fallacies that everyone is using in their argument? There has got to be a name for that (okay, I am sure people have PLENTY of names for that, lol)... but perhaps it is even a fallacy itself?

Uh, it's called trying to help people to devlop their critical-thinking skills and dismantling their arguments via use of logic. That's a skill that's not encouraged in the JWs, since they're trying to suppress critical-thinking skills so as to tailor a better group of followers who DON'T ask any questions (AKA not coincidentally, appeal to authority).

Isn't it HORRIBLE that I try to help liberate people's minds, so they can learn to think for themselves? In fact, there OUGHT to be a law against it!

Adam

• tec
    tec

Adamah... did you assume that I was responding to you in regard to the assumption post?

(you guys must be having a field day with your back room gossiping too... lol)

Isn't it HORRIBLE that I try to help liberate people's minds, so they can learn to think for themselves? There OUGHT to be a law....

LOL... I know that is a fallacy. How about you name that one out for us?

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Adamah... did you assume that I was responding to you in regard to the assumption post? (you guys must be having a field day with your back room gossiping too... lol)

No, I didn't.

BTW, way to undermine your own polemic against making assumptions by making one within the same sentence, since I haven't communicated with anyone: there's no need to do so...

TEC said- LOL... I know that is a fallacy. How about you name that one out for us?

Maybe it is, maybe it's not; I could tell you, but why don't you search out the answer on your own? It boils down to who bears the burden of proof: you made the claim it's a fallacy, so you get to provide the name....

It's like the old saying, "give a person a fish, and you feed him a single meal; teach a person to fish, and you feed him for life?"

Hint: it's found in Kahane's and Cavendish book on contemporary logic and rhetoric I provided a link to earlier, but here it is, again:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Logic_and_Contemporary_Rhetoric_The_Use.html?id=_IIVhDlcCy4C

(a free preview is available on Google)

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit