The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

The origins of Albert Schweitzer's ethical statement, "Reverence for Life".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverence_for_Life

Some of this came from his understanding of the gospels.

• cofty
    cofty

"Ethics is nothing other than Reverence for Life. Reverence for Life affords me my fundamental principle of morality, namely, that good consists in maintaining, assisting and enhancing life, and to destroy, to harm or to hinder life is evil."

— Albert Schweitzer

"Reverence for Life says that the only thing we are really sure of is that we live and want to go on living. This is something that we share with everything else that lives, from elephants to blades of grass—and, of course, every human being. So we are brothers and sisters to all living things, and owe to all of them the same care and respect, that we wish for ourselves."

— James Brabazon

• jgnat
    jgnat

The jewish principles of caring for living creatures:

http://www.jewfaq.org/animals.htm

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I understand having questions about god. Glad. Its just not been your style to address posters in a disrespectful way.

• cofty
    cofty

FHN - Congratulations on your new appointment as politeness monitor.

• caliber
    caliber

FHN - Congratulations on your new appointment as politeness monitor.

At first ,some suggested Cofty for this position but most everyone just laughed ... why was that , do you think ?

hahahahahahahahaha !!

• cofty
    cofty

I was over-qualified.

Caliber - Is it safe to assume that you make requests of god? Do you ever pray for things like good health, a safe journey or protection from harm? Do you make similar requests on behalf of others?

Do you ever give thanks for your food or for other blessings? How about when you are just having a great day and enjoying some fine weather, do you give credit to god?

Have you ever asked god to help you find a new job or to pass an exam?

Any christian who does any of these things has destroyed all of your arguments over the last few pages. They believe that god intervenes daily and hourly in their lives and in the lives of millions of other christians.

Please note I am not asking how or if god answers your prayers, simply whether you make petitionary prayers.

ETA - Please don't include a YouTube video of crap gospel music in your answer.

• caliber
    caliber

Caliber - Is it safe to assume that you make requests of god? Do you ever pray for things like good health, a safe journey or protection from harm? Do you make similar requests on behalf of others ?

Intercession means you are interceding—acting in prayer—on behalf of someone else. The person may be incapable of praying for himself. Perhaps he is on drugs or mentally confused . Perhaps the person is so sick he can't muster the energy to stay awake, let alone pray.

(intercession ) ... that they may have strength and comfort to cope..

(petitionary) for wisdom and strength to face the day

The prayer of faith, also known as petition prayer, is the prayer that most people think of when they use the term "prayer." Petition prayer is between you and God. It is you asking God for a particular outcome

In Luke 22:41-42 "And He [Jesus] was withdrawn from them [Peter, James and John] about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, 'Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.'"

He was praying, in effect, "If there is any other way to do this, let's do it that way." But the key for Jesus, and for us, is, "Nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."
    http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/prayer/3006-god-has-an-answer

It is to be noted above that even Jesus did not presume or assume God would concede to his personal will

the Prayer of Binding and Loosing
    Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
    Like all things in God's system, this type of prayer works only in line with God's Word and His laws. You cannot bind things willy-nilly. Binding a team to lose in the Super Bowl won't work any more than loosing someone to love you.

Any christian who does any of these things has destroyed all of your arguments over the last few pages. They believe that god intervenes daily and hourly in their lives and in the lives of millions of other christians.

Please note I am not asking how or if god answers your prayers, simply whether you make petitionary prayers. ~~Cofty

I try to express gratitude for needs of the day... I do not expect divine intervention to keep me from physical harm

"unforeseen befall them all" ... I pray for strength so in this sense I guess I pray for health and wellbeing

• cofty
    cofty

So are you saying that you never ask for anything at all apart from strength to cope with whatever happens?

You never pray to get well or for help to find a job or pass an exam or housing needs or financial concerns for yourself or others?

You never ask for anything except strength? Really?

• caliber
    caliber

You never pray to get well or for help to find a job or pass an exam or housing needs or financial concerns for yourself or others?

You never ask for anything except strength? Really?

I swear to God ( Wellbeing yes ...as mentioned above )

Maybe it was upbringing but I couldn't even ask my earthly father for money for treats and a movie

I am not saying that others may not pray for some of these things ....sorry !

To bless my efforts so in that sense I guess asking for finanical success

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit