The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

I think Christian charity organizations have helped in these situations. - Ucantnome

Why?

Your god decided to drown a quarter of a million men, women and children. He left hundreds of thousands more maimed and broken; millions without homes or jobs. He turned myraids into widows and orphans.

Your god did this!

Why do you defy him by trying to undo the pain he chose to inflict? Are you more righteous and compassionate than he is?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

cofty i don't wish to discuss your anti theism with you

• Giordano
    Giordano

Love is something we can see and feel with all of our sense's it doesn't stop if you don't believe in a god. Love is built into the human experience.

Hope is just that we hope the river won't rise, we hope our home will not burn down.

It seems to me that Faith is a directed hope. In religiously inclined folks Faith is about hoping there really is a loving god. Of the three......... Love is real and that takes care of my spiritual needs.

I just love me a martini and I don't have to hope for one or invest faith in it.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

cofty

If I am missing something please share it.

I don't dismiss any of these individuals, you do, by lumping them all together in such an impersonal way. I’ve also thought very deeply about the individuals who body parts I picked up after 9/11. I wondered at the time if I was picking up parts of a victim or a terrorist. God knew, I didn’t. As I sorted through the debris I would come accross photos and I would wonder if they were alive or dead.

When my days are over, God will take me. I don't know if my death will be quick or slow, painful or not, but he shows me mercy every day that I live.

Simon

I wish there was a hell so theists could burn in it.

That IS what we who trust Christ deserve.

• cofty
    cofty

cofty i don't wish to discuss your anti theism with you - ucant

You have no choice. This thread is about how believers reconcile god's actions on th December 2004 with their beliefs.

Don't run away from the hard questions. People are observing your moral cowardice.

Why do you defy him by trying to undo the pain he chose to inflict? Are you more righteous and compassionate than he is?

• cofty
    cofty

I don't dismiss any of these individuals, you do, by lumping them all together in such an impersonal way. - DD

You dismissed their suffering as meaningless. You conveniently forgot the millions of homeless orphans and widows who were left with nothing.

Your god did that. Your omnipotent, omniscient, loving god.

The question is why?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

cofty

You dismissed their suffering as meaningless.

No, you did that, not me. They are just numbers to you to use against God. I believe their lives had great meaning to God.

• cofty
    cofty

They are just numbers to you to use against God - DD

Every life lost needlessly is a tragedy. That goes without saying. You are trying to score cheap debating points like a dishonest politician.

When a quarter of a million lives are lost and millions more devastated in a single moment, by an incident that could have been easily prevented, it has a special poignancy.

These people didn't die because of illness or disease or because of the actions of other people.

We could just as easily talk about any natural disaster if you like. It was this particular one that had a profound effect on my thinking.

So far you have not offered a single word in response to the topic. Why not?

• cofty
    cofty

I think maybe you did answer the question ...

"This is about them and God watching it and biblical christians inability to reconcile Gods inaction." - Sunny

"I have no problem reconciling it. I'm going to die on the day God chooses by the means He chooses" - DD

You seem to be admitting that your god did choose to drown them all and to devastate the lives of millions more.

Please explain how this was an act of perfect, godly, christian love.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

you are accusing me of moral cowardice because I wish not to discuss something with you? I think your wrong

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit