The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• sir82
    sir82

Just as God can't make a square triangle, He can't make a world be outside the very laws of physics of this universe.

That just pushes the question back one step further.

So, let me rephrase:

Why would an omniscient god, when designing the physics of a universe, design those laws of physics in such a way that they inevitably lead to excruciating pain and torment for billions of his creations for eons of time? Why not come up with a less-menacing set of laws?

• cofty
    cofty

He can't make a world be outside the very laws of physics of this universe

Which presumably he invented.

You worship an impotent little diety.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why would an omniscient god, when designing the physics of a universe, design those laws of physics in such a way that they inevitably lead to excruciating pain and torment for billions of his creations for eons of time? Why not come up with a less-menacing set of laws?

A different set of Laws ??

Since life can't exist without those laws then a different set would equal either NO life or a different life, certianly not like the life we see on this planet.

• cofty
    cofty

Psac - Is your god incapable of creating a world with all the benefits of plate tectonics but without earthqaukes and tsunamis?

• jgnat
    jgnat

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

Douglas Adams

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/70827-this-is-rather-as-if-you-imagine-a-puddle-waking

• sir82
    sir82

Since life can't exist without those laws

Why not?

Why can't an omniscient god make life under a different set of laws?

So what if it is "different"?

If I am a loving, omnisicient, omnipotent god, and I have 2 choices:

(1) I can design Universe X with physical laws Y which lead to Life of type Z, in which no suffering occurs,

or

(2) I can design Universe A with physical laws B which lead to Life of type C, in which excruciating and horrific terror and suffering are inevitable, on a scale in which virtually every living thing experiences it....

Why would I pick choice "2"?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Psac - Is your god incapable of creating a world with all the benefits of plate tectonics but without earthqaukes and tsunamis?

You would have to ask a person that believes God created everything as is as opposed to via an ongoing process of which, yes Earthquakes are a very real part of.

So, IMO, the world we live in is the only way it can be based on how it came to be.

I do NOT believe God created the world AS IS but that the world as we have it now, with all the life on it, is th eonly way it can be.

Does that mean God is incapable of creating a world without Earthquakes and still get to where we are now?

I guess so.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why not?

Why can't an omniscient god make life under a different set of laws?

So what if it is "different"?

If I am a loving, omnisicient, omnipotent god, and I have 2 choices:

(1) I can design Universe X with physical laws Y which lead to Life of type Z, in which no suffering occurs,

or

(2) I can design Universe A with physical laws B which lead to Life of type C, in which excruciating and horrific terror and suffering are inevitable, on a scale in which virtually every living thing experiences it....

Why would I pick choice "2"?

I would pick 1 also, yes, if should a WORLD could exist.

• humbled
    humbled

The god who was the one who empregnated Mary, raised the dead, the one of resurrection and miracles is addressed in this thread. This God of the Jews who is said to be Jesus' father is one whose actions violate the natural order--violate natural law. It is supposed to be his particular MO, that is the god of it ALL. He is going to do a rewind on the faithful as he did with Lazarus.

This thread challenges the Loving Bible God, the god of Christian Theism.

What god are you talking about Psac. I too, have adjusted my belief to this: "Love is god" but my ideas will not fit into the apostles creed/Nicene creed. It won't fit in church.

what god are you talking about--because it is not the god of the Bible.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

what god are you talking about--because it is not the god of the Bible.

It is the God that is fully revealed in Jesus Christ ONLY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit