The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• sir82
    sir82

I would pick 1 also, yes, if should a WORLD could exist.

If it could not exist, then your god is not omnipotent.

• cofty
    cofty

Then as I suspected you are not a theist. You worship a lesser, impotent deity of your own invention who is neither use nor ornament.

The tsunami was not a dilemma for children of such a puny deity.

• bohm
    bohm

this is not answering why god did not issue a warning.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If it could not exist, then your god is not omnipotent.

Define omnipotent?

That God can't make a square circle makes Him not omnipotent?

No, of course not.

You are asking if God can make soemthing that you can conceive YET have no evidence CAN exist and my answer is No, He can't make something that can't exist just because we would like it to.

Now, if you are saying that the life on this world could come to be the way it is under DIFFERENT conditions then I would say prove it.

• sir82
    sir82

Define omnipotent?

That God can't make a square circle makes Him not omnipotent?

No, because of the laws in existence, that is impossible.

My claim is, he could have made different laws in which a "square circle" could exist.

Why was god constrained from making a different set of laws from the get-go?

"Omnipotent": Able to perform any work conceivable, including designing a set of laws for a physical universe in which horrific suffering is neither inevitable nor necessary.

• cofty
    cofty

PSac - It is not necessary to require an omnipotent god to do something that is logically impossible. That is a red herring.

To have all the benefits of plate tectonics with none of the risks it's only necessary to prevent plates from sticking at their boundaries.

It is when plates get stuck - sometimes for hundreds of years - that immense pressures build up, causing an earthquake when they finally move.

Your god was too puny/dumb/cruel to sort this design flaw.

You are trying to defend the indefensible.

• Stealth
    Stealth

If a GM engineer designed wheels the same way god designed tectonic plates, the wheels would fall off after a month or less. The car would be recalled and likely the engineer would be fired.

Why do christains give god a free pass on his creation in a way that we would never consider giving a mere mortal for a much lesser creation?

• cofty
    cofty

Because theists start with a closed mind. God must be right at all costs.

When faced with conflicting evidence they will perform any amount of mental gymanstics and intellectual dishonesty to defend the conclusion they started with. We all used to do the same.

It is the morally debilitating effect of "faith".

Any possible act becomes a perfect act of love if it was committed or permitted by god. All sense of morality is supressed or perverted to fit.

If people like PSac ever pray for anything, or thank god for even a glass of cold water, they make everything he has written in the past 10 pages a complete act of hypocrisy.

Is god immanent or not? Psac wants it both ways.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Stealth, because our knowledge of the world has outstripped our need for a god. Before science and decent instruments (microscope, telescope, hadron collider), "god did it" was the best defence we had for a confusing world.

By the way, it was a Scottish naturalist, James Hutton, who developed a comprehensive theory of the earth including how mountains form. He built an ingenious contraption to show how even rock can be made to bend and fold under pressure.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12861

• Viviane
    Viviane

My "compassion theory" as you put it, means that suffering is what develops compassion, it has ZERO to do with religion at all.

Or reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit