The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

(In reference to caliber's quote of Isaiah 55:8-9)

That's a good point, and I think it touches on what might be the real crux of this debate: whether man has the right to judge God's actions or whether God is above our judgment. A lot of atheism probably looks arrogant and cocky to a believer because the atheist insists that man has the right to rely on his own judgment. The Bible blatantly says, "God's ways are higher than yours. Adam and Eve sinned by choosing what was good and evil on their own." And the atheist is doing exactly that. I don't think this gap between believers and nonbelievers can be bridged, personally.

• cofty
    cofty

whether man has the right to judge God's actions or whether God is above our judgment.

Which is why my argument has rested on judging god by his own declared standards.

If we cannot judge god's action or inaction on 26th December 2004 to be unloving, then we must declare ourselves agnostic as to the meaning of love, and Jesus' entire message to have been in vain.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Unfortunately for that approach to the argument, cofty, one of God's standards is that he sets the standards and we can't know exactly what his plans or thoughts are. At least according to scriptures like Isaiah 55:8, 9.

Also, I can't speak for mainstream Christians, but JWs don't believe that God is only love, all the time. His attribute of love is balanced with justice, wisdom, power, etc. Thus you cannot expect all his actions to be 100% love.

• humbled
    humbled

But how just and loving is the bible god to see people savaged by nature or man, people who have never heard of his New Deal of Salvation through Jesus? A grave problem for me in believing in the bible God, Apog, is that salvation-as-taught-in-the-churches renders ignorant sufferers as the damned. And they suffer so much.

This economy of salvation is not just or loving.

The words are lovely in Isaiah 55--if applied to the gritty love that Jesus is said to have taught as the "higher way". But as a call to excuse what is ongoing carnage on the earth? Then I do not believe the bible is the word of a god of love.

The complaint I have is as much with the scriptures themselves as the idea of a powerful, loving god.

• caliber
    caliber

Also, I can't speak for mainstream Christians, but JWs don't believe that God is only love, all the time. His attribute of love is balanced with justice, wisdom, power, etc. Thus you cannot expect all his actions to be 100% love. ~~Apognophos

So true , it seems many are expecting "absolute love" from God at all times , when in fact in the final outworkings of things...

his "ultimate love" may somehow require that his other cardinal qualities come into play.

one of God's standards is that he sets the standards and we can't know exactly what his plans or thoughts are.~~Apognophos

Idealistically love shown by God would be absolute love

But consider God is taking pragmatic steps for the eternal welfare of all mankind for all time to come

pragmatic .... a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best given the circumstances " ....

thus His ultimate goal ..... restitution of mankind ....... ultimate love

ultimate ..". happening or coming at the end of a process, series of events, etc."

love , justice, wisdom & power

"But the greatest of these is love"

• cofty
    cofty

one of God's standards is that he sets the standards and we can't know exactly what his plans or thoughts are - Apog

You have missed my point entirely. The god of christian theism has revealed his character through Jesus. That was the whole point of Jesus so can know what god's standards are and imitate them.

JWs don't believe that God is only love, all the time. His attribute of love is balanced with justice, wisdom, power, etc. Thus you cannot expect all his actions to be 100% love.

This is a fundamental error that we addressed earlier in the thread.

If god is love everything he does must be motivated by love. "God IS love". Even when he punishes it cannot be based on anything apart from love. Love is not a hat that he can take off while he smites people for his amusement. The god of pre-exile OT was not like this. He had no problem with being a capricious moral monster when it suited him. This is not an argument that is available to christian theism.

The challenge apologists have is to show that drowning a quarter of a million people is a perfect act of love.

• cofty
    cofty

Idealistically love shown by God would be absolute love. But consider God is taking pragmatic steps for the eternal welfare of all mankind for all time to come - Caliber

Similar to my reply to Apog above. You are admitting god does evil things to acheive his ultimate purpose. "The end justifies the means" is is the excuse of human tyrants.

You need to update your bible. "God IS love - apart from when he is diabolically evil as it suits his inscrutable purpose".

According to Jesus. love was about doing unto others.... please explain how the tsunami fits with Jesus' command to love even our enemies?

Could the omniscient, omnipotent god of christian theism not acheive his loving purpose without drowning a quarter of a million innocent people in a tsunami?.

Are you proposing that your god is feeble or evil or both?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

You have missed my point entirely. The god of christian theism has revealed his character through Jesus. That was the whole point of Jesus so can know what god's standards are and imitate them.

That's an interesting suggestion, but are you sure that you can tell Christians what Christianity is? In other words, Christianity is as Christians do, right? If they want to quote Hebrew scriptures at you that say that God is above our understanding, then that's their belief, which you have to address.

Personally the only counter-reasoning point I know of is to say that one would expect that a loving God would allow us to use the brains he gave us to understand his purposes so we can make an informed decision. That can be countered as well, by simply saying that our brains are really quite limited in our imperfect condition, and that in any case God does not have to explain himself. It could be that his "mysterious ways" are actually fair (that is, just) precisely because of their mystery -- because it puts us in a position where we have to be humble and ask God to help us.

God is not interested in having his motivations questioned, is he? He values humility, so he puts us in a position where we know very little and waits to see whether we choose to proudly say, "I have a good grasp of this situation all on my own and I can make my own choices", or humbly admit, "I'm just dust, and need God's help to make it through this life."

If god is love everything he does must be motivated by love. "God IS love". Even when he punishes it cannot be based on anything apart from love.

This is one way of reading that scripture, yes. But personally I think a Christian would be perfectly entitled to read it as a poetic hyperbole, rather than a precise, all-encompassing description of God. As a JW I was taught that God IS love, but that somehow his love is not mitigated by his justice or other attributes when he has to act against the wicked, etc.

That seems like a Trinity-style mystery to me, that somehow absolute love co-exists with the other properties and is never lessened by it. For instance, if it would be loving to take away the wicked so that the righteous do not have to be plagued by them, why is it necessary to actually kill the wicked? Why not move them to another planet to let them live the way they want to live?

But if we instead look at the Christian God as one who is perfectly capable of putting aside love for a moment to exercise justice, then there's no essential conflict between his attributes any more than a father who punishes his naughty child even though he loves her.

The challenge apologists have is to show that drowning a quarter of a million people is a perfect act of love

So, you are intentionally conflating inaction with action, am I right? If God doesn't stop something, it's the same as if he caused it since he's omnipotent and could have prevented it? I feel this is an unfair position to try to force on the apologist. Why can't God simply be allowing things to happen as a result of Adam and Eve's rebellion? In the end, everything is sorted out in the afterlife, so all those people who died as a result of living in this imperfect world will be dealt with fairly in the next life. Most Christians would say that they're already in heaven!

(Just for anyone who doesn't know me, I'm playing the apologist here, but I'm actually agnostic.)

• cofty
    cofty

are you sure that you can tell Christians what Christianity is? In other words, Christianity is as Christians do, right? If they want to quote Hebrew scriptures at you that say that God is above our understanding, then that's their belief, which you have to address.

Yes as a former christian I'm very sure about that.

Christians can claim that there are aspects of god that are above the understanding of humans, but those things cannot blatantly contradict things about god that he has clearly communcated to humans already. My argument is not that god cannot be whatever he chooses to be - its simply to point out that thesim is internally contradictory.

God is love. We know what love means and it doesn't include drowning a quarter of a million people.

perfectly capable of putting aside love for a moment to exercise justice

No not allowed. That is dishonest doubletalk.

You can't be loving only some of the time. Judgement must be motivated by love. Killing an incorrigably wicked person to save the innocent may be an act of love but your challenge is to explain how drowning a quarter of a million random men women and children is a perfect act of love.

So, you are intentionally conflating inaction with action, am I right?

The omnipotent, omniscient god of chrsitian theism saw the earthquake 19 miles below the Indian Ocean. He knew precisely what the result would be - 250000 dead and 5 million lives devasted. He could have calmed the wave as an act of love as easily as we flick a light-switch. He did nothing. Inaction for the god of thesim is morally equivalent to wilfully causing the tsunami.

Why can't God simply be allowing things to happen as a result of Adam and Eve's rebellion

Firstly there was no Adam and Eve, no fall from perfection. You can have your own beliefs but not your own facts. If we have to discuss reality before we discuss theodicy so be it.

Secondly this is pure hypocrisy. It is a cowardly retreat into deism. Every petitionary prayer a christian offers up makes this defense impossible.

everything is sorted out in the afterlife

Has there ever been a belief system more perfectly designed to cheapen the value of human life? This is the lame excuse of the inquisitors as they murdered their victims.

We have actually covered all of these points already at some length.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I know you've "covered" them, but I don't think most of them have been answered. I was hoping you would actually respond to my points, to wit:

- God wants us in a position of not understanding his full purpose in order to show our heart condition: proud and haughty, or humble?

You said nothing about this.

- Why does "God is love" have to be taken as a statement that God is composed entirely of love and all his actions are loving?

You replied that I absolutely have to read the verse that way. Did you not, earlier in this thread, entertain far more speculative answers from others who are basically making up their belief system, not following any doctrine, and yet you won't grant me a very reasonable suggestion for an alternate reading of one or two verses? I know you were a specific kind of Christian, but we also know there are many other ways to read the Bible besides what one denomination subscribes to.

Do you think it's more likely that the writer of 1 John was using a poetic expression, or that he was giving a list of ingredients ("One: Love. Two: That's it.") when writing that scripture? Because it seems to me to be pretty obvious that he didn't intend to sweep aside all the other scriptures talking about attributes of God, and just make God into the "god of love". It's like the difference between a simile and a metaphor. A metaphor is not stronger than a simile, it's just a more direct way of saying the same thing. My simple suggestion is that the writer was speaking metaphorically.

- I asked, "you are intentionally conflating inaction with action, am I right?"

You typed a response to this that could have been summed up as "yes". I already understood your point, as you'll notice from the next sentence in my original post. My message was that I don't see how omnipotence automatically leads to being able to blame God for anything that goes wrong. But of course it would lead to that if we insisted on saying that God was all love, all the time -- which is a strawman argument, as I addressed above.

your challenge is to explain how drowning a quarter of a million random men women and children is a perfect act of love

You keep demanding that this specific question be answered, and what the Christians kept attempting to tell you was that your question was wrong. Let's try it with you: cofty, have you stopped beating your wife?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit