The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Cofty

After all your vitriolic protestations against the idea that we might not know everything, and that some of what we might not know might have a bearing on the subject under discussion, you recently posted on your other thread:

Living with unanswered questions is human. What we ought to avoid is pretending to know things we can't know.

If our belief is commensurate with the evidence and beyond that we can say, "I don't know" we are being reasonable.

Cofty

• humbled
    humbled

Edit

• cofty
    cofty

flamegrilled - I have NEVER claimed we know everything. As usual you make stuff up because you have nothing of substance to offer on the actual topic.

If there was nothing we didn't know why the hell would scientists go to work in the morning?

You have spent 50+ pages saying that there is some unknown piece of information that could turn drowning a quarter of a million people into a perfect act of love - or at least when seen as part of a wider context.

I have argued that this is contradictory with other things theists claim to know.

You have studiously avoided the hard questions and your willfully dishonest debating techniques are beyond tedious.

You will now ignore most of what I have just written and twist some minor detail to suit your purpose.

You are still an active JW aren't you? I'm guessing teenager or early 20s.

Edited to add - Look again my words you quoted...

If our belief is commensurate with the evidence and beyond that we can say, "I don't know" we are being reasonable.

Your beliefs are contrary to all the evidence and you have not offered a single word of evidence to support your assertions. You start from an unsupportable dogma of chritian theism, and use "itsamystery" to carelessly swat away every fact that contradicts your beliefs.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Waitaminute. Are we putting God in the gaps, preserving mystery and God at the same time?

That's not nearly the same thing as admitting mystery and setting about to find the answer!

• cofty
    cofty

Yes jgnat - to fundamentalists like flamegrilled and Caliber mysteries are places to hide from overwhelmingly compelling evidence against your precious superstitions. They give a glimmer of hope that all may not be lost after all. We all used to do this as JWs trying to defend the indefensible.

To rational people solving mysteries is what makes life exciting.

• flamegrilled
  • caliber
    caliber

The Final simplified summary

1. Christians are stupid and illogical.

2. Therefore, Christianity is not true nor can God even exist

3. We must know all the answers now concerning God's purpose or else throw it all out (no mysteries allowed )

• cofty
    cofty

Caliber that is so unfair in view of the hours and hours of effort many people have invested in rational argument in this thread that it is not even funny.

My patience for having conversations with people who have no desire for honest communication is wearing thin.

• humbled
    humbled

Edited:

NO SCORE, Flamegrilled!

What are you really about?

Cofty made that reasonable comment on another thread on prayer.

I saluted that.

• cofty
    cofty

Petty point-scoring is fg's only concern.

If he had something to offer the conversation he would have said it 50 pages ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit