The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It is quite interesting to watch an honest observer of the bible and an apologetic observer of the bible debate eachother.

Kate has looked at the bible, looked at real life and concluded.... hmm this doesnt make sense, but I need to believe in god, so therefore god is 'x' a very different god to that of the bible.

Tec has looked at the bible and at real life and concluded.... hmm this doesnt make sense, but I believe in the god of SOME of the bible, the bits that make sense and the bits about god that I like, so therefore god is 'y' based on cherry picked scriptures, avoiding the dodgy ones, avoiding world events that disagree with her perception of god 'y'.

Kate defends her stand by being honest and saying despite there being no evidence and the bible being a very inhumane book, she needs to believe in some kind of god, she has moved god further and further away from humans as the evidence has been shown her. She has removed him from creation as science has made evident, and removed him from human activity as life has made evident. A sincere quandry that we all had when being brave enough to question.

Tec defends her stance of choosing scriptures to support over those to reject by claiming jesus/god communicates with her directly. She uses the bible to defend her beliefs, but if you show contradiction in the bible, she will dismiss those verses as being human in origin. This stance is as unique as Tec and her posts, it is one that nobody but Tec can discuss or debate as she alone experiences this interaction with a deity, a miracle in itself. Tec offers no evidemce and ignores evidence that contradicts her view, much like her ability to ignore scriptures that disagree with her view.

We can only hope that at some point, they both recognise that all of this is simple speculation. There is no evidence FOR these views and in fact a mountain of evidence AGAINST them. The history and evolution of these religious beliefs and texts being the most obvious, and after talking to Tec for some time she has so far not managed to read and examine the history of the bible and Judeo Christian beliefs. Amaing really, it should have been the first thing we ALL did before picking up a bible....

On recognising this is nothing but, hope, speculation and personal want..... maybe soon they will be honest and qualift everything with a "......but in honesty, this is just my personal view, in realty WE JUST DON'T KNOW."

That after all, is simply the stance of all non believers. Nobody here can prove to me that Zeus did not exist, the best we can say is "we don't know."

• Viviane
    Viviane

Maybe if you went point for point in the post you found confusin, and then highlight exactly what I was confusing on... I might understand better what to clarify?

No, I will not do that, that's simply a rathole factory that drags everyone into where everything gets lost in pages of pages of drivel. The confusion about what you wrote is because I don't understand what point you are trying to make, it's too disjointed.

If you could just answer the questions. Summarize your main points with supporting information, that should be enough. Questions repeated:

Should we NOT pray for others? Just for God's will to happen? Should we pray and just HOPE that it's God's will? You said we shouldn't pray for ourselves, but Cornelius did just that.

• cofty
    cofty

Tammy's attempt to blame the victims is repugnant to any rational and compassionate person.

• nicolaou
  • tec
    tec

This apparent paradox requires an explanation.

I don't think it does.

Other than what you should have already known: that this world would have suffering and death; that this world is not ruled by God. As Christ said, his Kingdom is from another place. Our promise is for eternal life in that Kingdom of God. That is what we work for; that is what Christ worked for; that is the Kingdom God prepared.

This one... this world... not His Kingdom.

That doesn't mean that the work He gives us cannot be done in this world. Work that includes doing good to others, friend or foe, loving others, feeding the poor, giving shelter to the homeless, forgiving, showing mercy, etc, etc. As well as bearing witness to Christ, and speaking the truth given to us TO speak.

In any case, I don't think it even IS a paradox. For reasons previously stated.

But i think at this point, Cofty, you and I will simply have to agree to disagree.

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

this world is not ruled by God

At long last an actual attempt at an answer!

Please tell us more.

• tec
    tec

just refer to a main point and reply to it without all the waffle.

Actually that requires guessing that you know the main point... and that often gets missed. As well, when the points that lead up to the main point are flawed, then there is a good chance that the main point is also flawed.

In any case, I am free to post as I post, and you and others are free to read or to discard.

Tec has looked at the bible and at real life and concluded.... hmm this doesnt make sense, but I believe in the god of SOME of the bible, the bits that make sense and the bits about god that I like, so therefore god is 'y' based on cherry picked scriptures, avoiding the dodgy ones, avoiding world events that disagree with her perception of god 'y'.

See, and for some reason, no matter how many times i state clearly that it has nothing to do with the parts that I like... that point is still missed.

I believe in the God and Father of Christ, as shown by Christ - who is the Image and Word and Truth of God.

Simple, and to the point.

See Christ... see God.

Know Christ... know God.

Yet how many people do not see this... or refuse to see this?

This stance is as unique as Tec and her posts, it is one that nobody but Tec can discuss or debate as she alone experiences this interaction with a deity, a miracle in itself.

Not that it matters. If one is alone in following Christ... then so be it.

But even on this forum, there are others who also hear the Spirit speak, whose faith is in Him.

and after talking to Tec for some time she has so far not managed to read and examine the history of the bible and Judeo Christian belief

Of course i have. Why would you think that i have not? Because i still have my faith, and some atheists believe that if you examine all the evidence, the only possible correct conclusion is the one that they have come to?

If you could just answer the questions. Summarize your main points with supporting information, that should be enough. Questions repeated:

Should we NOT pray for others? Just for God's will to happen? Should we pray and just HOPE that it's God's will? You said we shouldn't pray for ourselves, but Cornelius did just that.

I did answer those questions, and even asked you a question regarding what prayer you are speaking about, from Cornelius. If you could perhaps also post what prayer you are talking about?

Maybe you did not see my post?

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Anything more will have to wait. I have to go get the kids, and then to the mall, and then taking hubby to dinner. (well, he is going to have to help pay, as i miscalculated my funds, lol... so I guess he is really taking me to dinner, lol)

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I think Tammy is going to try to blame the devil but now we will have to wait and see.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Tammy, my questions were simple and you didn't all address them. You talked about them, but not much more. It's clear now that you will NOT directly answer, so there is no point in even trying a conversation with you.

Thanks, though. I learned something today, so that's always a plus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit