New to JWN and excited!

by sunny23 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• nugget
    nugget

Welcome hope we can help if needed.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

sunny23, Welcome and thanks for sharing your story!

Waking up to The Truth About "The Truth" (TTATT) is an emotionally harrowing experience, but most of us come out the other side stronger for it. There is a great deal of pain associated with losing relationships with family members and friends.

Some have been successful with reaching them and rescuing them from this cult, but sadly most have not.

I recommend you get yourself a copy of Steven Hassan's excellent book, Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves, and read it. It will help you heal and give you ideas for possibly reaching your family members.

Please keep us posted about your progress.

Oubliette

• sd-7
    sd-7

The second is a history of how the scrolls were selected and by who, to form the 'bible'. What was the motive, what was left out, why? Its fantastic.

I've read Bart Ehrman's 'Jesus, Interrupted' and part of his 'New Testament' textbook and I concur--the man is brilliant with the information he presents. Definitely helped educate me a LOT about the New Testament in its historical context.

Also, welcome. Nice story, there. Sad in many ways, as well. Hey, at least you're on the right track to becoming fully free. Sounds like you need no advice from me, you're well along.

--sd-7

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome to JWN

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Welcome!

I’m amazed they initially didn’t DF you. They must have really liked you. I had a JC meeting for drunkenness in 2010. I wasn’t DF’d because I was “repentant”. They knew for years before this that I had a struggle with alcohol. But it was about 6 – 9 months later that I began questioning everything because of the lack of love they showed and the way I was treated after the announcement that I was publicly reproved. Things just weren’t adding up for me.

It is unbelievable all you learn once you open Pandora’s Box. Once open, you can’t close it. My head was spinning

My family and I celebrated Christmas for the first time this year too. My wife followed me out about a year and a half after I left. Good luck with everything. I look forward to reading more of your story.

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Welcome aboard! My name is Vince — hope you have a good time here! It's the place to be. ;)

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome and glad to hear another freedom story.

in 2005 when i was 18 to attend college shortly before the "anti-education" kick took full force

That bit really shocked me, because that was in full force on the East Coast since the late 1960s. It's in the literature, was constantly discussed from the platform, and the dubs gave all the teens the full court press about it all the time in private conversations.

I was physically prevented from going to the college entrance exams and the $ I had earned and saved up to pay for the entrace exams was confiscated, "to save my life".

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You moved from Indiana to Florida - Guess what, so did I. While my move was before you were born, perhaps we have some names in common.

Best wishes for a very successful 2014 and the rest of your life. Remember that living a long and successful life is the best revenge.

• sunny23
    sunny23

"That bit really shocked me, because that was in full force on the East Coast since the late 1960s. It's in the literature, was constantly discussed from the platform, and the dubs gave all the teens the full court press about it all the time in private conversations."-rebel8

I know it was always iterated on platform and at assemblies and conventions but some of the most anti-college propaganda i heard was after i started attending college. There were more statments that i noticed classifying people who went to college as opposing God and being selfish than i personally had heard prior. Maybe that was just my bias as i didn't pay much attention to it in high school though?

Not to mention the fact that in our congregation in Indiana I had several brothers including MS and elders who would whisper to me at applebees after the meetings that I should "do something more" after highschool because they regret not going to further school and would confess how miserable they were at trying to provide for their kids who they want to send to college and to pay the bills while cleaning commercial carpets late at night at age 53 with their wives. They would emphasize though that i should put Jehovah first but that the economy is getting worse and its hard to make it by and stressing about living pay check to paycheck made life miserable in areas where it didnt have to be. Then moving to college town Gainesville, FL. there were a few elders who were engineers and sent their kids to college. Two young brothers unrelated to eachother in my cong in Gainesvile had been regular pioneering since they were young teens and both graduated at age 20 from UF, one an electrical engineer and the other a nuclear engineer and both were MS by 18 and went to bethel at 20. So the college propaanda was "toned down" in my hall and i noticed much more of it at conventions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit