New to JWN and excited!

by sunny23 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome sunny23!

Good on you for waking up to the Watchtower and its deception so long before your 40th or 60th birthday.

Some of us are a little envious...

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

Welcome Sunny23...

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Welcome! Nice to have you. I'm in Florida, too. Learned TTATT this year and have so far, successfully faded with my teenager.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Welcome. Your post made me laugh, and I felt a deep pain in my heart because you left your first love because she wasn't a JW. Been there. Sounds like you are doing pretty well now. You asked, " Is anyone buying this sh**?" Yes, about 8 million people who are the thinkingest people on Earth..

DD

• sunny23
    sunny23

"also be prepared for evidence and references for the first time ever, not just "because we 8 window cleaners in Brooklyn say so!" That isnt how scholars and researchers work at all, quite the opposite. They give you the data"-Snare

Exactly! And that's really been frustrating me! Going over publications like the watchtower and young people ask and reading claims that are stated as fact with no quotes or sources cited pisses me off royally. I hated doing bibliographies and works cited in college but anyone publishing internationally released articles from the world's largest printing press better damn be doing it!! And I'm not reffering to bible interpretation but to "facts" regarding studies, experiments, and science to come to conclusions.

Also thought I should make it clear as to the timeline of my story as some seem to confuse it. Shouldn't have told it Tarantino style..

2005:graduated high school

2008: met and left gym worldly girl

2009: got married

2010: graduated college

2011: December separated from wife

2012:July divorce finalized

2012:August 2012 met current GF

2013:July DF'd upon moving in with GF

• Hecce
    Hecce

I like it, seems to me that you are in the right and early enough.

Forward.

• sunny23
    sunny23

"By the way I'm curious why you joined, because it seems like a lot of new members joined JWN recently. Does the holidays help people to overcome their fears and join JWN?"-aBibleStudent

Discovering JWFacts.com and its info on 1914 and various other topics helped me to answer some questions. Plus not celebrating holidays after not attending meetings for a year started to make me question why I was taught not to celebrate and why.

Interesting side note: I was living with a JW roomate in 2012 and I had stopped going to meetings, met my girlfriend, and started bringing her to the house. At the end of our lease on move out day I was "ambushed" by two elders who confronted me about my lack of attendance and my worldly gf who they heard slept at my house. I agreed to a JC even though I thought of not showing up. At the JC they learned that I was fornicating and that I had just signed a lease with my gf and was about to move in. Even though I showed no sign of remorse or repentance they took my divorce as an excuse of spiralling down and offered to not DF me so long as I didn't move in with her YET they said I could still date her!! Was shocked at this and they said "we can't control who you love, and maybe this will bring her into the truth." I decline as moving in with my gf to see how we live together and verify if marriage would become well justified, was moreiimportant to me than being accepted in the eyes of some elders and some so-called friends. Either way. Have had friends with less understanding elders and it proves that the social and emotional lives of members are at the unqualified perspectives and agendas of divinely unguided elders.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to JWN!

Really enjoyed reading your exit story.

If you'd like to read an irreverent, hilarious (imo) critique of The Bible, try reading Mark Twain's "Letters from the Earth".

It's in the public domain and you can get it free as a PDF, EPUB or Kindle doc here:

http://www.globalgrey.co.uk/Pages/Books-Classics/Letters-From-The-Earth.html#.UsGbD_scqRM

All the best to you on your path,

om

• bigmac
    bigmac

(actually liked it minus the fact it brought lots of guilt when i would have a tug-of-war with cyclops)

Bwaa Haaaa Haaaaa Haaaaa ive got a feeling that line will stick around on here----well done---and welcome to the rest of your life

• flipper
    flipper

SUNNY 23- Very nice to have you here friend ! You've definitely been through a lot for being in your mid 20's. I bet it's made you grow up fast. A lot of us grew up fast in this JW cult. I was born and raised too got out 10 years ago. I'm so glad to hear that your parents are supportive to you and don't shun you- that will help. My 80 something yr.old JW parents still see me too, so they don't hold it against me for exiting the cult. Welcome to freedom of mind and expression here ! Look forward to hearing from you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit