Can a JW be accused of apostasy for just quoting scriptures?

by Island Man 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Yes!

Even before I had my first contact with TTATT I used to speak openly about Titus 1:15.

In my first JC about loose conduct they strangely also ask me about this verse and what I thought about it. And I just answer I thought exactly what was written. But they leave me alone in that occasion (the JC was about my conduct with my girlfriend, afff).

But if they ask me about it someone else had accused me of apostasy based only in this verse.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

It's like an elder quoting only the Bible as authoritative source during elder's meeting — it for sure raises a flag with them.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The problem for the WTS with quoting the Christian Scriptures is that it was provided by Christendom.

Doug

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

There aren't rules, there is no law, no legal representation, no jury,...

You either do as they say or leave. They are a cult, if you stay but don't play ball, they will label you an apostate, not because you are or warranted it, but that is what cults do.

Watchtower don't ALLOW private bible study groups among their followers, that should say enough.....

• humbled
    humbled

In truth I objected to the interpretation of Genesis 22 in the WT literature. My Book of Bible Stories says that God told Abraham to kill and burn his son.

I asked why I could not read the Genesis 22 bible verses that are more ambiguous and do NOT demand that interpretation (and made the case that the difference between the original Hebrew words were significant because they were so different.)

I asked to read from the Bible instead of the literature at my first meeting--I was told plainly: NO.

It is tedious dealing with the WT. In the end, nothing matters--least of all TRUTH. Certainly the integrity of a person's conscience.

• kaik
    kaik

I heard about it in the past that people were DFs for questioning teaching for they felt was unbiblical and they were accused of apostasy. Couple years back I read about former JW that dared to bring a Bible to committee that questioned his faith and was forbidden to use it for his defense. He was DF's righ there. When I lived under communist regime, we actually had read bible. We had only one copy of illegally obtained WT and we could only depend on bible for understanding the text. After the fall of communism, the bible was barely used in KH. Occationally was opened to cite a text, but much emphasis was done on the WT publication and Awake. This became the authority and people were told that they lacked direct contact with Jehovah to understand the Scriptures. Only the Slave understand the light that would be distributed to us.

I had not been in KH for almost 20 years, but I have bunch of aged relatives who are still active. Last summer I went to visit them and they had WT all over. When I from curiosity opened them, I noticed that the quality of the "Food" went down in 20 years, half of the texts did not make any sense, but also the emphasis on Biblical verses were limited. I also notices that my very elderly relatives had either forgotten or nor were familiar with common biblical themes like the Samaritan woman by the well. It was very strange.

I am not suprises that people would be DFs if they use Bible when they feel the publications are in direct contradiction with it. WT spent more time on proselyting people, how to preach and approach invididuals, and less time is spent on understanding the Scriptures. You have to read a book, go to school, than sitting in assembly to listen some nonsense that you are not prepared for, and than study WT; so very little time is done into research. If anyone studies Scriptures extensively, will understand that WT teaching is man-made often with invented theology like 1914.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The elders (I mean Pharisees) have wide ranging powers, authority and autonomy to do as they like, and use catch-alls against anyone for any reason, even if they simply dislike the person.

The "ruling religious clergy class" are always right no matter how wrong they are.

The "laity class" are always wrong no matter how right they are.

Nothing has changed for thousands of years.

This is the reality, how it plays out over and over gain. TATT. Their identity: from their father the devil.

• designs
    designs

Its called a Wt. Study or Book Study for a reason...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Of course you can! I could be DF'd right now if wasn't smarter than the BOE. I was accused of apostasy just for saying:

1) BOE was making mistakes and forgetting to follow the scriptures.

2) The GB makes mistakes and the WT mag has printed and continues to print errors.

3) Providing printed evidence of those mistakes for the BOE.

4) Saying my loyalty to humans is conditional.

Piss off the wrong Elder and you can be accused of anything. Will it stick? That depends on many factors. I know there will never be another kangaroo court for me, I'm done playing by their rules. Next time I will just walk away.

DD

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

It’s worth remembering that the purge of 1980 was because those guys started reading the bible on its own. And they were not disfellowshipped for apostasy against the bible, but for apostasy against the Watchtower.

And you would just as surely be disfellowshipped for posting a string of Watchtower passages as well, especially if those passages exposed past errors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit