Can a JW be accused of apostasy for just quoting scriptures?

by Island Man 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

For example, let's say an awake JW wanted to share TTATT about the true meaning of John 10:16, so he just posts on his facebook wall a couple passages of scripture with no commentary whatsoever - like this:

"In answer he said: “I was not sent forth to any but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” - Matthew 15:24

"And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd." - John 10:16

"Therefore keep bearing in mind that formerly YOU were people of the nations as to flesh; “uncircumcision” YOU were called by that which is called “circumcision” made in the flesh with hands— 12 that YOU were at that particular time without Christ, alienated from the state of Israel and strangers to the covenants of the promise, and YOU had no hope and were without God in the world. 13 But now in union with Christ Jesus YOU who were once far off have come to be near by the blood of the Christ. 14 For he is our peace, he who made the two parties one and destroyed the wall in between that fenced them off. 15 By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, that he might create the two peoples in union with himself into one new man and make peace; 16 and that he might fully reconcile both peoples in one body to God through the torture stake, because he had killed off the enmity by means of himself. 17 And he came and declared the good news of peace to YOU, the ones far off, and peace to those near, 18 because through him we, both peoples, have the approach to the Father by one spirit.
    19 Certainly, therefore, YOU are no longer strangers and alien residents, but YOU are fellow citizens of the holy ones and are members of the household of God," - Ephesians 2:11-19

Can he be accused of apostasy for doing this? I mean, all he is doing is posting a few passages of scripture without explicitly teaching anything contrary to what Watchtower teaches. He is just quoting scriptures and any JW reader who takes offense would be taking offence at what the bible says - not what the poster says. Can the poster not feign ignorance of any attempt to teach contrary doctrine? How can they accuse him of apostasy without denying what the bible says since he only quoted scriptures without giving any opinions or commentary?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yes, ... if he refuses the option of changing his mind to accord with current WTS trooof.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Witness My Fury: Yes, ... if he refuses the option of changing his mind to accord with current WTS trooof.

But who says his mind is different to Watchtower's? What is the basis for coming to that conclusion? Did the brother say anything that is contrary to Watchtower theology?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Sounds like a pretty good way to be an undercover apostate.

Like you say, must offer no commentary at all outside of the scriptures, and probably can't even participate in any discussion that might come from the postings.

Might be a good idea to get a good list of scriptures together for those that want to do something like this, how about Luke 21:8 and Matthew 28:18?

• belbab
    belbab

When I was being hunted down all across the country back in 73, that is two years before 1975, I was summoned by a local committee who received a letter from the district servant from the east to bring me in for questioning. The committee had never seen me before. . They were extolling and praising the "mother" organization all the ways up to the heavens. Look at the increase, look at all the new publications, look at the joy and happiness, etc. etc. I was being hauled up because I had been proclaiming we were worshiping an organization instead of worshipping the supreme Creator.

I quoted a scripture from memory, I believe it is in the book of Revelations and also in one of the Hebrew prophetes. From memory the text goes, Ya, you say: "We sit a queen and we shall see no evil" but distruction is awaiting you.l

The congregation servant, came around noon to the place where I was working. He said he looked up the scripture, and he was filled with rage. The context of the reference was applied to Jerusalem as well as Babylon the Great.

Conumed with anger he told me the committee had pronounced disfellowshipping me.

belbab

• adamah
    adamah

I'd say that if an elder is "gunning" for you and knows the rules, an active JW can be accused of spreading his own teachings simply by stringing scriptures in a certain order. Even without including an interpretation, an implied meaning can be inferred from the order in which they're cited, eg seeming contradictions can be highlighted, etc.

It also violates the very definition of the FDS' role of providing spiritual food at the proper time: that's THEIR duty, getting to decide which scriptures are cited and are needed and in what order (i.e. which ones are meant to work together in combination). For an active witness to do it would be the act of an "indiscreet" slave, and if you persist even after being reprimanded, you'd likely be DFed for "brazen conduct" or for "spreading apostacy".

From Nov 99 Kingdom Ministry:

18 Noticeably, there have been a number of individuals who have created Web sites ostensibly to preach the good news. Many of these sites are sponsored by indiscreet brothers. Other sites may be sponsored by apostates who wish to lure unsuspecting ones. (2 John 9-11) Commenting on whether there is a need for our brothers to create such Web sites, Our Kingdom Ministry, November 1997, page 3, stated: “There is no need for any individual to prepare Internet pages about Jehovah’s Witnesses, our activities, or our beliefs. Our official site [www.watchtower.org] presents accurate information for any who want it.”

Heck, even the act of reprinting approved "spiritual food" from the official pubs is strongly-discouraged: the Society included a strong denouncement against the practice, in the Kingdom Ministry:

*** km 9/02 p. 8 par. 6 Avoid the Pursuit of “Valueless Things” ***

6 Internet Web Sites: We have an official Internet Web site: www.watchtower.org. This site is adequate to make information available to the public. There is no need for any individual, committee, or congregation to prepare a Web page about Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some have posted the contents of our publications with all scriptures and references given in full and have even offered copies of convention material on a donation basis. Whether profit is involved or not, the practice of reproducing and distributing publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses in an electronic document is a violation of copyright laws. While some may view this as a service to the brothers, it is not approved and should be discontinued.

Cobbling together scriptures is simply asking to be called into the back room...

Adam

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Witnesses don't put much faith in the Bible. Rather, the WT and other literature provide the basis for the religion. By randomly quoting scripture you may be inviting other Witnesses to read scripture rather than the WT. When was the last time there was an actual Bible study among the Witnesses? Reading scripture alone is a revolutionary idea. One needs the GB. Only they can determine which scripture to read when.

It casts doubt on their authority. Certainly this is disfellowshipable. It was reading the NT books in single sessions or a few that shocked me how little their beliefs were Bible based. No, you need to read selected scripture at their bidding. They provide several sources of authority. If you eyes glance other scripture as you read, the demons will grab you.

There is great hubris in deciding to quote what scriptures others should read. Only the GB is allowed to do that. It is an act of open defiance to their authority.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Anything can happen in banana republics.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd say that if an elder is "gunning" for you and knows the rules, an active JW can be accused of spreading his own teachings simply by stringing scriptures in a certain order.

All it takes is for 3 men, of whom 2 are typically uneducated and intimidated by the 3rd man, to come to the decision that you have committed a "grave sin" and are "unrepentant" and BAM! you are DFd.

Go ahead and appeal it. Three more guys show up who are buddys of the first three and guess what happens? They agree with the first three.

It's a good ole boys club. If they vote that they don't like you, they can throw you out.

Doc

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

If elders can get away with pedophilia in collusion with their comrades, trust me, they can get away with disfellowshipping anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit