Thanks!

by Lightgrowsbrighter 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lightgrowsbrighter
    Lightgrowsbrighter

Thanks to all of the friends here at JWN who commented and encouraged me on my 1 st and 2nd post. It was pointed out that my 1st post was on page 5 of the recent ‘Elders’ thread and that I should properly introduce myself with a new thread. The ‘Lightgrowsbrighter’ name is somewhat of play on words. Most of you are well aware of the WT incorrectly applying this scripture in Proverbs 4:18 to themselves as some kind of a prophecy and an excuse for the many theological/policy changes that take place and a demand for all JW’s to follow. (Coincidentally, we just saw another letter with WT changes site this scripture yet again.) It is an analogy for all of us as individuals, and the ‘light does grow brighter’ if we individually try to remain righteous and keep learning. I feel blessed to have read some very logical threads by the brothers and sisters on JWN. Many of my thoughts echo many of the comments already made here at JWN. But, sorry to be redundant, here is part of my first post:

"I am a third gen JW. MS for 7 years, elder for 5. The majority of my family on all sides are elders or have been. I was a kid in 1975 (lived where the 'need was great') and clearly remember the frenzy about this system ending. I was a teen in the mid 80's and remember the 70/80 years from 1914 and the whole deal was gonna wrap. I was the WT conductor in 1995/96 when'new light' about the 1914/generation thing was discussed. I knew I shouldn't be on the stage teaching this. I stepped aside in 1997. Has been a gut wrenching experience since then. I believe the basic problem with the WT org is that theological (and even personal) opinions are to be viewed as unquestionable facts if presented in the WT. My basic thought is that to disagree is not disrespect- it's OK as long as love is shown by all. It's OK to agree to disagree. If the brothers at the top would just let go of their demand for strict adherence to all of their pronouncements that are really just their own opinions, people would be banging down the doors to go the KH. Galatians 1:6-9 kind of gets overlooked or misinterpreted. Unfortunately, there is an ever deepening hierarchy and conditional love within the org. You will not be loved if you disagree."

I am not here because I am bitter and angry (at least I'm trying not be that way). I don’t wish to bash active JW’s. In fact, in my opinion, there are good things taught by the WT. But the mind-numbing, repetitive control mechanisms are solidly in place. Sadly, those in control show little evidence of humbling themselves as ‘fellow workers’ (1 Cor. 3:9). My wife of many years, also a 3 rd gen JW and former ‘pioneer’, has also suffered greatly for the last few years. Long time ‘friends’ have basically abandoned her because we don’t agree and follow every opinion of the WT. Opinions that are our scriptural decision to make- not a small group of men sequestered in ‘world headquarters’. Our friends quote scriptures only when they parrot the WT. When other scriptures are presented that show a different point, they normally get angry, and even become verbally abusive. One elder friend of mine came right out and said he doesn't want to think about things, just do whatever the WT org tells us. WOW. Of course, the big ‘A’ is thrown out there with no regard for open scriptural discussion. We are not DF’d, but some friends of 20-30 years refuse to talk to us.

I appreciate the open discussions here at JWN. Some comments have been made by friends here such as ‘Why do we continue to care what JW’s think?’ Well for me, there is almost a psychosis about it. A lifetime of thinking and acting a certain way, with all of our family/friends involved is difficult to deal with. I do find that virtually every JW that is willing to open and discuss their feelings does struggle with some of the same issues the majority of us here at JWN discuss. With the possibility of someone at the upper echelons of the WT org reading these posts, I say, PLEASE let go of the controlling and arrogant attitude. It is NOT scriptural to demand that the ‘sheep’ strictly follow your opinion. My second post was ‘A simple test’. If the WT leadership would prayerfully review those questions, the controlling, hateful attitude to friends who don’t agree with all of their opinions would change.

I’m rambling again, but thanks to all of the kind, intelligent, and sincere Christian friends. It's so sad and bizarre that some of us here have to be secretive and cloak and dagger about our discussions. I diappoint myself acting this way. I hope this doesn't sound judgemental- but that's the way I feel. But 1 John 4:17-21 confirms to me as a lifetime JW and student of the Bible that the respectful open discussion’s here at JWN are something Jesus expects from us. Fear and guilt for having open Bible based discussions are straight from the dark side…

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

Hello, welcome to a place that will help.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Welcome glad you got out with your wife

FS

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum.

Your comment about the person not wanting to think about things, just do whatever the WT says is very telling. As long as one lets the WTS do their thinking for them, they are O.K. Having an opinion of your own is not tolerated.

Doesn't it feel good, however, to exercise your brain and use your reasoning ability?

As someone said, "Better to have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question."

Give yourself some time. It is very difficult to adjust to the realization that the WT just does not have all the answers.

On the other hand, you and your wife need to find new goals and hobbies. Don't sit around doing nothing but feeling your gut wrench.

My husband and I were "in" for more than thirty years. Once I got over the bewilderment stage, I decided to think for myself, and not waste any more time on failed prophesies and the pronouncements of the elite few. I got my college degree at sixty-one years of age, and am now an elementary school teacher.

• Rebecca 619
    Rebecca 619

Hello, Lightgrowsbrighter, I have been a jw since 1981 have always loved being a jw also pioneered, when i was single, I feel guilty sometimes being on jw.net but this is the only place i received support after my son was dfd, i felt so alone in cong. my husband was also dfd, after serving as an elder for many years (hes now reinstated) but not my son, and i thaught i had true friends, people ive known for years, we saw a complete change in the way we were treated, they say they forgive but i feel the cold shoulder my husband receives, i question what happened is it me whos changed or wathtower, all this has affected me to apreciate what the elders say on platform, but i love Jehovah and very conflicted. welcome to jw.net

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Welcome Lightgb. It's true that the Society does teach some good principles, but unfortunately the organization rarely follows these principles. For instance, talking about love and kindness, but doing no charitable work. Talking about humility but not showing humility from the top of the org on down, and only expecting it of the ones who are underneath others in the hierarchy (that's called "controlling and allowing oneself to be controlled"; humility is a two-way street!).

Of course there are sincere JWs who are showing these traits even if the org doesn't encourage them, but that doesn't reflect positively on the org in any way. The personality of an organization comes from the leadership, so what does that tell you about the GB, DOs, and COs as a group? They set the tone for everyone else on down.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi LightGrowsBrighter,

(((Hugs to You and Your Wife))) for being smart enough to figure out WT arithmetic does not make sense.

But then, the Governing Body is uneducated and rather dumb. So of course, they do not make sense. (They are good at counting other people's money though but always telling your Goose that lays the Golden egg... to give more and more and more... is not too smart. Back to the beginning. Not educated. They depend on other people to "bring" home the bacon).

Of course the light gets brighter™. They only started out with a small nub of a cheap candle. (Look up their selling (ripping off) people with their "Miracle Wheat). lol

The WT makes a stupid "prophecy" that does not come true, so that candle goes out, and they light another one. Let's see in my 60 years you could walk down the aisle with the American "Wedding March" music, then you couldn't. Light got brighter. You could dance the "Twist" then you couldn't. Light got brighter. Women could have no part in preaching to the congregation, then they add females to the Theocratic Ministry School. We can preach to each other while still raising our hands and commenting, even reading scriptures. Light got brighter. The light getting brighter/dimmer is when they stupidly hail higher education as satanic, yet ask for trained College or University educated personnel to volunteer for free to build WT owned sites. They like to count our money, all the while asking for more.

Do I miss my old JW friends? I used to.

I love the free thinking, non-judgmental people on JWN more.

I am meeting normal people in my community that like to do things that I enjoy. Shared common interests. In Watch Tower Land it was supposedly one big family. Yeah. One huge dysfunctional group. No thank you.

LoisLane

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • clarity
    clarity

Hi LGB & Mrs LGB too ...lovely post, you are

so welcome here. Take what you want & leave

what you are not ready for.

You will be surpised at how quickly the whole

house of cards can fall down ...when you reach

for that one little card! Things hidden previously,

will pop right up!

Take good care of your health at this time.

All the best

clarity

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit