A story about Reggie and Reginald... and why it makes me cringe... more vomiting

by confusedandalone 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gayle
    Gayle

caa,,I just want to confirm your observation at Bethel, and the racism. At least in '69/'70, I was a 'new girl' and was working with a black 'new boy' in field service several times, assigned in Colombia Heights Cong. , did field service in Greenwich Village (Steve Lett was our book study conductor there then). Bro. B***** told me there was prejudice at Bethel. I denied that at the time. Soon after, I told my brother at Bethel then too. Fortunately, my brother, just looked at me like 'are u clueless?' and said, "just look, are there any black overseers at Bethel? " Then, I saw it.

Then, in response to Swingle. I was a house keeper for the Bethel Library for awhile. Swingle came over to me asking what was "the name of the cute little n***** gal in the Gilead class" there then? I responded "what?" He restated again, no adjustment. I was stunned.

caa, you are so right!

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

They were just scared of you and other African Americans.

Is disdain a normal expression of fear?

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

@Gayle. That is incredulous. I am a black brother myself, and I am just W H O A.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Racism is killing me inside

--sd-7

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" As a white guy, I apologize for how you were treated by the white A$$hole JWs when you were younger."

I do appreciate it. Often times I will just hear stop bellyaching. However, when you are young and its all you know and see you tend to blame all white folks. Funny thing is my best bud till I left and the best man in my wedding was a white guy. Still love him to death... that was my replacement brother

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

LisaRose

ConfusedandAlone ... Thank you for opening the door to Jehovah's Witnesses and Racism and that it does exist in the congregation and at Beth-hell. I am so sorry this happened to you or anyone for that matter. It is degrading. Those pasty white boys knew what they were doing and were intentionally , insulting you. I am thrilled you shared and got the hate words back out into the air, where your Friends are listening and feel bad for you. (((Hugs from an ex-white sister, if you don't mind)))

When a person is traumatized, it takes a while, sometimes a very long while, before some can start to speak of some of the bad things that have happened to them. Some people bundle their hurt up so tight, they can never relax, let it out, and let it go... and heal.

I am from LA. I looked forward to seeing our black brothers put on a peacock show at District Convention time . Some of the brother's literally wore gold lame (custom made?) suits and other flashy colors. They were beautiful. I do not recall the black sister's at that time, 'twinning' their men in like style of clothes though. White skin, black skin , yellow skin, red skin. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.

I think if someone talked to me like that, I would be so flabbergasted, I probably wouldn't say anything, either.

Are you going to tell us later, what Swingle was like?

LoisLane

PS Does anyone know Hayden Davis? He was the first black brother I knew who married a white, blonde sister in Los Angeles back in the 1960's. They had the cutest kids.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

To be fair, my family was the only white family at our KH in Alexandria VA in mid 80's and we were treated like family. I would have to say it was the warmest cong. I have ever been in. I never realy thought about it, but sharing the same hall was another cong. made up of mostly white, financially well off folks. Also a great bunch. But the two groups did not mix. I was really naive and never gave it much thought.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yeah I can cosign on that one, and yes I have heard stories of GB members being racist, some of them probably still are, as well as racism stories from the districts and circuits. Pictures of white angels in publications, a white Jesus, etc. It basically teachers that whites are elavated and that other non whites had no culture, and that they learned culture and christianity from whites. The watchtower was bulit on white supremacy anyways so it doesnt surprise me one bit. But nowadays the JW's will downplay and say that happened 'way back then.' 'That was then and this is now bull crap.' Then they'll get up on the stage and talk about how bad other religion are.

Any non white person who makes it up to the top ranks of the watchtower must be a real sell out.

• Joliette
    Joliette

A video that I did on racial supremacy in watchtower's artwork. Look out for part 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry6UHpYEDX8

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" Then, in response to Swingle. I was a house keeper for the Bethel Library for awhile. Swingle came over to me asking what was "the name of the cute little n***** gal in the Gilead class" there then? "

Sounds like good ole Swingle LOL. Most of the West coast white brothers were also taken aback by this guy. My roomamate was from Palmdale and he was always surprised by how people would act. He was white and grew up around Black guys and Mexicans and he never really felt any way about us. He was a great guy!! He heard Swingles comments once at our tabnle and he was screwed up for a while.

Thanks for the actual confirmation Gayle! It helps people see I am not just talking out my ass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit