A story about Reggie and Reginald... and why it makes me cringe... more vomiting

by confusedandalone 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

So I grew up in New Jersey in a very URBAN part of the state. I literally only saw white folks if they were in a police car or if I went to the assembly. The funny thing is at the assembly there was still a level of segregation as well although it was self-imposed. It is to be expected since we didn't mingle much. Anywho its about 2 weeks before our circuit assembly and my dad and a few other brothers recieved a call from the brothers in the upscale area of New Jersey. We were in the same circuit and they were going to go over details about our cleaning assignment, who was takling the lead etc...(This area of New Jersey was literally 95% caucasian and they had huge amounts of money)

This call was very scary to some of the brothers in our circuit. The reason why is because as most of the older black brothers who were elders would say, "Those white brothers don't play... You have to be on your P's and Q's". This type of expression was common when dealing with the "white brothers". We were also reminded of the following:

1. If giving a talk in those areas do not wear the flashy suits / don't get very animated with your delivery

2. If you go to a party out there don't take any of the rap music and don't mess with those girls!

Pathetic???? Yes, but it was what it was.

So obviously we all were on our best behavior when we went to thier lovely hall. Me and my father were the first to arrive. When we got there we were greeted by a group of young brothers, about 4 of them. One opened the door for us and before we got in one of them put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Hey REGGIE, hows it going?" He had a huge welcoming smile on his face! Not wanting to seem rude and correct him outright I simply said, "I'm fine! My name is CAA, what is yours?" He responded with my name is Tom(for the sake of this story) good to see you REGGIE. Hmm, he must not have heard me or this guy named REGGIE made a huge impression.

We sit down and a few brothers in their late 20's to 50's were inside. We said hi and exchanged greetings with them all. About10 -12 brothers from our area came and the hall was really electric... we were all excited. I noticedhowever that they continued to call brothers they just met either "REGINALD or REGGIE". Wow this must have been one awesome guy. One guy even told my friend who was much lighter than I was, " I am sorry - you look just like my friend REGGIE!!!" The young guys laughed and no one thought much about it.

The meeting was going as usual and then a younger brother (mid twenties) who was going to be "taking the lead" in one aspect of the cleaning asked some form of question for someone to assist with something or other and a brother from our hall volunteered by raising his hand. The brother conducted this aspect said, "So brother REGGIE JACKSON will be on such and such and so and so, who would like to..." That is when the Brother who had volunteered said , "My name is (whatever it was)... the young white brother says, "O I am sorry, its just so many new faces here and you all look alike I am getting confused"... Of course, Black folks get upset when we hear that because well, we all know why. We just kind of all sat there and figured he meant nothing by it. Its just they keep saying the same name over and over REGGIE or REGINALD.

After the meeting was concluded, we sat in the room awhile talking etc... one older brother in his 40's I am guessing came over and said so is this the REGGIE I have heard sooo much about to one of the brothers from our hall who had recently been accepted to Bethel. The black brother looked at him and said, "I am not sure what you heard about me but my name is such-and-such, nice ot meet you." Everyone chuckled and we kept talking.

We get ready to leave and we go outside and we recognize a guy who came down to play basketball with us a few times. He was a nice guy and invited us to a party in thier area once that we got in trouble for because someone brought some rap and they asked us to leave.(The reason for point number 2 above) He came over to me and 3 other guys and said sorry they are being so stupid about this. We inquired what "this" whole REGGIE and REGINALD JACKSON thing was about? Who was this guy? He told us that it was an inside joke that they use to refer to FLASHY BLACK GUYS. Well REGGIE JACKSON was Mr. October so was it that simple? No... it was their covert way of saying NIGGER without saying it he said.

So of course, one of the guys with us was livid. Yet, no one said anything to them. So we got home and he told his elder dad who also was angry. He called the C.O. and told him that this was unacceptable in Jehovahs Organization. Well this C.O. (who when he came to our congregation never went out in service and always had an excuse- also in the other urban halls) told his father that they need to let it go. That these young brothers although they were in the wrong PROBABLY MEANT NO HARM. So this guys father met with us and told us that when we get to the circuit assembly to handle our assignments and JUST LET IT GO. Well, like the good little boys we were - we worked with these brothers and made no mention of it. They even tried the same antics again and my buddy literally just left his assignment because he couldn't take it anymore. Not long after the C.O. came to our hall for his visit and thanked us for not making a big deal out of the situation. We all felt like we had really done something wonderful and helped advance pure worship!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

This is yet another moment that I wish I would have had the balls to stand up for myself. I was very young at the time... in my teens, so I felt limited. However, as I got older in the circuit I would see these same guys and work with them at assemblies and I never spoke up about it. I hated myself for it... I still do. It kind of paved the way for this type of treatment to continue because even at Bethel it happened on a much larger scale and I never spoke up about it then. Once entering the professional world I never allowed it to happen again. I would speak out if a comment made me uncomfortable. I would set things straight. I do however still wish I could have stood up for myself back then.

Thank You for allowing me to share

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Damn that is sad and pathetic, but they probably got it from their parents or others. No excuse, and yes I too would have regretted not saying anything at the time.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" I too would have regretted not saying anything at the time."

The decision to play the role of a "good boy" has haunted me a looong time. Getting past it slowly, I hope LOL

• happy@last
    happy@last

Whatever happened to "have love among yourselves"?? I would have said something for sure

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"Whatever happened to "have love among yourselves"??"

They had money... which I think to them was far more important LOL. These sorts of scenarios and sly remarks took place far too often in my time in the borg. It is part of the reason I still get so upset when people talk about how nice the GB seem etc... on multiple occassions I heard the most racist and obscene things said by these guys or heard from others similar scenarios. Yet they get around the brothers not at BETHEL and they act so sweet and humble.

Especially SLythe... I mean Lyman Swingle. Stupid dead racist piece of shit

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

We are different people at 40 compared to a teenager.. comparing the two is pointless really.

When I was 18 I had a car fail the MOT on a cracked front subframe, MOT man offered to weld it up, so I agreed and took it off and stripped it down and took it to him for him to weld up.

He welded it, I put it all back together and took the car back in for reMOT test. He failed it again as the suspension was still out of position slightly just as it was before he welded it up. I had to go buy a replacement subframe from a breakers yard and refit that on and re MOT it again.

I was annoyed but paid up and said very little about it.

If that happened now (which it wouldnt as I have learnt the lesson) I would just tell him to GTFO and not pay him for the retest.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I saw some of that at Beth-hell when I was there CAA... it made me sick.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" We are different people at 40 compared to a teenager.. comparing the two is pointless really."

True. Unfortunately I never really thought of it that way. I tend to hold myself to the same standard eventhough I have learned alot since then. Opening my mind up to understanind life is just beginning

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" I saw some of that at Beth-hell when I was there CAA... it made me sick."

My favorite examples from BETH-HELL was

1. Asian guys at lunch asked how they see through those slits

2. Black guys having Cavernous noses which make them have deeper voices naturally (followed by the entire table laughing at it).

3. Sausage lips and soupblowers

4. Seeing someone with something that looked cheap and being told, "So I see someone has made a trip to the chinese side of town"

• scary21
    scary21

That was just plain rude of those brothers. They really thought they were something.

Black people always think my sister and I are twins. lol So I think it goes both ways.

The way they acted, they just made an ass of theirselves !

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit