A story about Reggie and Reginald... and why it makes me cringe... more vomiting

by confusedandalone 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is horrible, what a bunch of idiots. Don't feel bad for not defending yourself back then, it's hard to stand up to abuse, especially when you are younger. It's like being an abused child, the parent has all the power, so they learn to tolerate the abuse, sometimes they even begin to accept it as normal. Just be glad you didn't stay and continue to take it.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Yeah. That story makes me nauseated. ....

If everyone in this fucked up organization stood up and spoke their mind this POS would crumble.

• humbled
    humbled

It takes a village to raise a......racist. At the very least a silent village.

CAA- people of color and women often try to do the same thing about rotten, demeaning actions toward them, IMO. We try to rationalize it, keep the peace. And when we are young? OMG, we are really unequal to this crap.

I am glad you are saying something NOW. Silence is not golden in this case.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a strong feeling we grew up in the same city. Frankly, it was very uncomfortable being the only white family in the KH. We lived in the working class white part of the city which was about 99% Roman Catholic. The KH was deep in the ghetto. Sometimes I thought we were never going to return home safely. I experienced racism at the KH. We were never welcome. I cried and begged to attend a suburban KH where I would feel more welcome. My JW relatives attended suburban KHs but not the super affluent ones. I did not know any rich people were Witnesses in Northern Jersey. Somehow I cannot picture an Upper Montclair, or Short Hills KH. There seemed to be more kHS in the city.

There was a big difference. The suburban KHs were nicer looking. People could read properly.

It is not fun being a minority in any situation. There were social ills galore at my KH. It was nice to escape once in a while. Overall, the worship services seemed warmer at my regular KH. I was so delighted to never have to go back into the ghetto when we left the Witnesses. OH, the racism was overt. People would line up to give their condolences when my home KH was announced.

I was just a kid and very confused. The social problems saddened me so much. Foster mothers who openly hated the foster kids seemed a major industry group in my local KH.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

We try to rationalize it, keep the peace.

If you do not, you

- are overreacting

- are too sensitive

- need to lighten up

- take yourself too seriously

Right?

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Hmmm it is possible we were in the same city. The one white family ever in our hall had about 5 or 6 kids. I can imagine it being uncomfortable for you - it is amazing how racism and prejudice is so pervasive in this religion. Suburban would have appeared super affluent to us actually ROFL.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Despite what I feel about the doctrine of the religion, I still hold JW's to a high moral esteem. I am actually kind of floored that such overt racism existed in a Hall, honestly. Covert? Not so much. Overt? Yes.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"Despite what I feel about the doctrine of the religion, I still hold JW's to a high moral esteem. I am actually kind of floored that such overt racism existed in a Hall, honestly. Covert? Not so much. Overt? Yes."

The popes of the religion displayed it openly at what was headquarters so it being in the local congo is no surprise. The demeaning of women as well was something that was ever present.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi confusedandalone, As a white guy, I apologize for how you were treated by the white A$$hole JWs when you were younger. They were just scared of you and other African Americans. It is sad that some people think that the only way to feel good is to put other people down.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They had money... which I think to them was far more important

Well of course that's important.

Isn't that the evidence of Jehovah's Blessing upon them?

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit