I think I’m an Atheist :(? :)?

by chrisuk 78 Replies latest jw friends

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

I’ve been pondering my beliefs for a while now and I’ve come across things that I just can’t accept. I was recently walking with a Christian who stated that the universe couldn’t just come from nothing. He said that the universe was so complex that it needed a designer, he also said something which I’ve heard before. He said that the human eye alone is so complex and perfect that it had to have had a creator/designer. I responded with: Well, if the universe is so complex that it needed a designer/creator and even the human eye needed the same. That neither could just be, then how much more complex than the human eye, and even the universe would God have too be? I mean if there is a God and he created something as complex as the universe, then how can he just come from nothing? If the universe is too complex to just be, then how much more complex would a creator of the universe have to be? And yet it’s perfectly acceptable for him to just come from nowhere? No sorry that’s a double standard.

I’ve also recently discovered that the story of Jesus is based on ancient myths that predate Jesus by thousands of years, and, that said stories are in turn based on how the accents viewed the sun. Something I read was that on the 22nd of December each years the sun is at it’s lowest point, and after 3 days it rises slightly north (the sun being raised on the third day) And that apparently the ancients called the sun the sun of God.

All this questions and discovering that the Bible is just based off of ancient mythology is pretty upsetting to me. I’ve always drawn comfort from the Bible, and in believing that there is a God and an afterlife. And to come to the realisation that it’s all untrue is horrible, but I can’t just ignore things simple because they go against what I believe, facts are facts and I’ll continue down this road of real truth. I’m pretty sure that I’m now an Atheist, I almost wish I was still ignorant of the facts but I can’t un-know something.

• zound
    zound

Welcome to reality. Stay awhile, it's a good place to explore.

Here's a thread about the human eye to get you started.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/266365/1/Evolution-of-the-Eye#.UrB7NDlig28

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

Thank you Zound. I'm feeling a little, well heartbrocken at the moment, but at the same time angry, and also free. It's a very strange feeling.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

There is a kind of grieving process to losing belief, it's painful, but worth it.

I'm still grappling with mortality and the fact that I lived my first 40 years believing honestly that I might never die, it's a real kick in the teeth to now try and get my head around getting old and dying.

• cofty
    cofty

Its a rollercoaster of emotions Chris. Everything falls into place and the world starts to make sense.

Reality is exhilarating but at the same time it robs us of false comforts.

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

Thanks Witness my fury and Cofty. Yeah there's going to be a big hole for me now for a while. I've always drawn confort from the bible and now I know it's all based on myth, well it's disheartening to say the least.

I've been chatting with a few christians on Facebook and I've explained my reasining for no longer believing there's a God. All they do is go around in circles stating the uninverse is so complex id must have had a creator, but when I ask how much more complex god would have to be they just something like; the bible tells us so and so, it's very frustrating. On a brighter note, next time the JW's come knocking they're going to have a shock lol.

• adamah
    adamah

Chris said-

Thanks Witness my fury and Cofty. Yeah there's going to be a big hole for me now for a while. I've always drawn confort from the bible and now I know it's all based on myth, well it's disheartening to say the least.

Well, it's better to know that you're on the flying trapeze without a net underneath, right? Usually by the time people figure that one out, it's too late...

BTW, God fails on the "Intelligent Designer" claim, since you'd expect a designer to know the basic functions of parts of His design: God fails on that test in the Bible, wihich presents God speaking of the goofy concepts that reflected the common thinking of the ancient World, but have long been disproven by science (eg the firmament, human diseases caused by sins (not the germ theory of disease), functional role of heart/brain, etc).

• cantleave
    cantleave

Congratulations, enjoy the ride.

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

Good points Adamah, thanks. Seems religion is more about control than anything else. I've also recently read that Josephus' refrences to Jesus are forgeries, so outside the bible there really is no support for Jesus. I almost fell off my chair when I read how many mythological Gods had led the same life, death and resurection as Jesus, only thousands of years before Jesus.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I find Matt Dillahunty is very good at cutting thru the BS, plenty of his stuff on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPE_HPBIWp4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit