Crazy JW urban legend

by Simon 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

John denver story did the rounds here of course , also Jane Fonda was supposed to have said JW`s have the truth but she wouldnt be able to live by their high moral standards , and Elvis presley regulary took the magazines WT & Awake .Oh and KISS albums were of the devil , you couldnt even burn them .And dont get me started on backward masking on the Beatles albums,with subliminal satanic suggestions.

It makes you wonder whats in the air conditioning at kingdom halls.

smiddy

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"When we used to spin records, rumor with teenagers was if you played Stairway to Heaven backwards it said "worship Satan" at a certain spot."

Well, it is true that Stairway has backwards lyrics that say "My sweet Satan". I recorded it digitally and played it back backwards.

But whether the devil put it there is another issue. It is interesting that several purposely put backwards messages sound like gibberish played forward,

but Stairway is understandable both ways, the same with Another One Bites the Dust.

As for Johnny Carson and John Denver, I heard Johnny's maid was a Witness and he liked them because of that.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The backwards stuff aside, it's funny how the "Good Authority" these myths (read lies) come from are always people at several removes from you, people who you cannot ask to confirm.

It is amazing that the same myths travelled around the world, strange too is that, not urban myths, but many of the "Experiences" we heard were exactly the same, in every detail, as those reported by the LDS church or other faiths, what a conincidence !

• TD
    TD
    I heard that "Hotel California" was about the devil. Some other religious groups say that as well.

LOL

"Hotel California" was about California music industry/culture. --How it was extremely alluring from the outside, but once in, the recording companies owned your soul.

• TD
    TD
    It was John Denver on a national TV show that most of America watched and Carson asked Denver about this incident and asked him to leave over it. It was really a big deal at that time for Carson to ask someone to leave the stage. So you see, It is not so much at jws, but about Carson and Denver.

I don't know anything about that incident specifically, but I do know that the late Johnny Carson's mother, Ruth was connected to JWs either as a baptized member or permanent Bible study/meeting attendee. --Not sure at what point in life this started, but this was pretty much common knowledge around here back in the early 80's when she was alive.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ughh, "backmasking"; I remember how all the older JWs would completely freak the f**k out at any rumor of it.

When CDs replacyed vinyl, I was relieved simply because you couldn't play CDs backwards, and the uptight grumps would finally have to shut up about it.

And don't even get me started about all the stories about "Satanic" records that took forever to burn; they were f**king vinyl, which takes forever to burn.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Viola, these are the episodes that IMDB shows that John Denver was on Carson. When was the date or approximate date that you saw that?

"The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" (17 episodes ) ... aka "The Best of Carson" - USA (rerun title)

1. Episode dated 18 August 1972 (18 August 1972) - Himself
    2. Episode dated 19 September 1972 (19 September 1972) - Himself
    3. Episode dated 25 January 1973 (25 January 1973) - Himself
    4. Episode dated 10 January 1974 (10 January 1974) - Himself
    5. Episode dated 11 January 1974 (11 January 1974) - Himself
    6. Episode dated 28 July 1975 (28 July 1975) - Himself - Guest Host
    7. Episode dated 29 July 1975 (29 July 1975) - Himself - Guest Host
    8. Episode dated 27 January 1977 (27 January 1977) - Himself
    9. Episode dated 16 October 1978 (16 October 1978) - Himself - Guest Host
    10. Episode dated 4 May 1982 (4 May 1982) - Himself
    11. Episode dated 26 August 1983 (26 August 1983) - Himself - Guest Host
    12. Episode dated 24 May 1984 (24 May 1984) - Himself
    13. Episode dated 20 December 1984 (20 December 1984) - Himself
    14. Episode dated 29 May 1985 (29 May 1985) - Himself
    15. Episode dated 3 March 1986 (3 March 1986) - Himself
    16. Episode dated 3 December 1987 (3 December 1987) - Himself
    17. Episode dated 19 October 1990 (19 October 1990) - Himself
  • Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Another urban legend.

Tommy James and the Shondell's song "Crystal Blue Persuasion" is about the "Truth that Lead to Eternal Life" book.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm sorry, still stuck on Earth, Wind and Fire's demons getting static.

So much is illogical about this story, even within their own twisted theology. Since when do demons shudder at Jehovah's Witnesses? The teaching is they shudder at jehoopla, not his dubs.

Why do the Tupperware bowls not shake and scream with demons rushing to escape, instead of staying put while dubs buy them and put them in their homes?

Why do the AC/DC albumns not have demons screaming and escaping from them, instead of staying inside the albumn and entering the hearts of the dubs who listen to the music?

And why static? I don't get it. If they're so busy shuddering at people named after their mortal enemy (who hasn't done anything at all to them in thousands of years), why would they not leave entirely rather than just making a band's music sound bad?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit