Crazy JW urban legend

by Simon 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

A sure guarantee that this was bogus (really, any reasoning is required at all?) was that it did the rounds applied to John Denver, Annie Lennox and others.

Basically, they relied on Satan (oh yes) for their musical ability (I knew it) and any JWs in the audience would be asked to leave because ... (drum roll) ... they blocked the signal to Satan so couldn't perform with them present!

Anyone else remember that gem?

I also remember getting lists of disallowed songs including 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' by Simon & Garfunkel which they claim was about drugs.

Not like the Kingdom Melodies cassettes which you really needed to be ON medication to listen to.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Oh Gheesh,

I remember that one. Only heard it once about John Denver getting his ability from Satan and asking JW's to leave. But I heard many times about his asking if there were any JW's in the audience and then asking them to leave. Also heard a lot about Blue Oyster Cult and Led Zeppelin being inspired by demons. Oh.....and how about the one big Beatles album from 1965....Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band? There was one person on the cover (can't remember his name right now) I think it was Alastair something. He supposedly helped channel the Beatles to the spirit world for their inspiration.

HappyDad

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I just googled it and the guy was Aliester Crowley (occultist)

HappyDad

• Farkel
    Farkel

Simon,

With regards to John Denver: a former poster here "NotPerfectYet" was a dear friend of mine and she is from the Monterey, California area. I have spent time with her on several occassions. Her son was a paramedic and he was dispatched to the scene when Denver's plane crashed. He dove into the water and was the one who found and retrieved Denver's severed head.

There were no dubs at the time near the scene, so I guess Satan must have been really pissed off at him for some other reason. Maybe Satan doesn 't like Colorado or something.

Farkel

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I heard that "Hotel California" was about the devil. Some other religious groups say that as well.

outside of music, I remember some saying bad things about Pokemon because they were monsters, and a girl in my congregation was saying she read that Hello Kitty was satanic. But some other kids jumped in refuting that.

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

Is it a verified fact that john denvers head was cut off in the crash? I remember the footage of the crash and thinking it didnt look like that bad of a crash. Anyway john was one of my all time favorite musicians. I didnt like him as a kid but his beautiful voice and songs just gave me chills as I matured in my musical appreciation.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:I heard that "Hotel California" was about the devil.

Worse. Much worse. It is about the WTS.

The "Hotel California" was an insane asylum.

-----

: Is it a verified fact that john denvers head was cut off in the crash?

What part of "my good friend's SON discovered and retrieved his head in the Bay at Monterey", didn't I make clear?

Farkel

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

When we used to spin records, rumor with teenagers was if you played Stairway to Heaven backwards it said "worship Satan" at a certain spot. I heard it myself. Many trashed their records.

There for awhile the Beatles and the Eagles were bad and you were thought to be Satanic Evil if you listened to them or had their albums. The song, 'I want to hold your hand" is so spiritually polluting to young persons. LOL. When the Eagles reunited and did some concerts there were several elders in my neck of the woods that "secretly" went to the concerts by themselves.

Oh, Glen Cambell is studying. I don't know how many times I heard that one come around.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I too, heard the John Denver rumor but only that he asked if there were any JWs at his concert and if so, would they please leave. As a witness who gullibly believed it I was offended at the time. I figured some stupid Witness had given him a bad (isolated) experience. HA!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I heard the John Denver story a bit differently. The version I heard was that he asked if there were any Witnesses in the audience. And would they please leave. I heard the reason was because,they wouldn't salute the flag.

Then he shared this with Johnny Carson,host of ,"The Tonight Show." And Johnny Carson was offended,because his aunt was supposedly a Witness. So,he asked John Denver to leave the set.

That is the version of the story I heard.

But,then,I heard Mick Jagger sold his soul to the devil,lol. How could they believe this,since they don't believe we have a soul.

Anyway,that is the version of the John Denver story that made it's rounds here. I hated John Denver because of it. He was kind of before my time,so not very familar with him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit