Is there an official name for this comedic device?

by Island Man 24 Replies latest social humour

• Island Man
    Island Man

Is there an official name for the comedic device where one replaces one word with another word having a similar pronounciation but a different (usually derisive) meaning?

For example, some skeptics deride the bible by spelling it "buy-bull". Same or simliar pronounciation but entirely different meaning. Here are some examples I have heard in the X-JW community:

Washtowel Babylon Trash Society

Pious-sneer

Farticle

Circus Oversneer

Troof

Faith-fooled Indiscreet Slave

Hateful Indiscreet Slave

Kingdumb Hell

Joseph Ratherfraud

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Miniskirted Serpant

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

A pun or play on words.

• breakfast of champions
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I suppose we ought to invent our own word for it ! Mrs Malaprop did it unintentionally, these are intentional so perhaps more akin to a pun. But Punning realy invloves using homophones, words that sound (almost) the same but have a different meanings i.e "we were Camping so the excitement was intents".

What the good people of JWN have done is to invent new words that sound like the original, but add a humerous meaning.

What could we we call these ? as they are based on "Theocratese", the esoteric language of JW's ? "Theotease" comes to mind. Or, as it is taking the piss out of Dubspeak, perhaps "Dubtease".

• rmt1
    rmt1

If a theo exists it wouldn't have the first thing to do with that gang of fools. How about, real-estate-ocracy, or edict-ocracy, or dogma-ocracy. And real-estate-tese, edict-tese or dogma-tese.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Shit for brains.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In addition the the above comments I add the descriptors: ridicule and sarcasm.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

You guys crack me up........ I sometimes use

Jdumbs, also Jehoovers Witlesses

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

pun if deliberate, malapropism if not

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit