Is there an official name for this comedic device?

by Island Man 24 Replies latest social humour

• adamah
    adamah

3rd Gen said-

Adamah, while I agree that these puns may not qualify as valid argument, for me, they served an important purpose. As I was learning TTATT these funny words described what I was now noticing. Piosneers made me LOL as well as helped to marginalize their importance in my life. Who cares what an El duh thinks? ASSembly aptly describe the event. These words help new ones distance themselves from the cult and break away from its language.

Yeah, this subject pops up from time to time, and the situation boils down to realizing that the venting and self-perceived cleverness often comes at the cost of merely succeeding in triggering the hair-trigger cult defenses of those who are still in, by living up the apostate characture. So if we're trying to liberate those still in (like all of us who have family members in the JWs), it's unlikely to help: in fact, it plays right into the hands of the GB who say that apostates are childish mockers who are angry, hate-filled, etc. It's hard to imagine how that is helpful?

But on the other hand, all approaches have a certain value to someone, and certainly whatever emotional impact that derision and irreverance has on others, it arguably might help some to learn TTATT and question the authority of the JWs, helping to break the stranglehold.

However, it would be great to see people using the power of punnage not remaining trapped in the mire of their own emotions as if needing to act out against the authority figures they claimed to leave behind decades ago, but to bring up their game. But everyone does what they can do, I guess...

Adam

• steve2
    steve2

Contrary to what an earlier poster siad, a well chosen pun is often a counter-argument. E.g., Rutherfraud is unerringly close to the truth.

• adamah
    adamah

Steve2 said-

Contrary to what an earlier poster siad, a well chosen pun is often a counter-argument. E.g., Rutherfraud is unerringly close to the truth.

Uh, 'Rutherfraud' isn't even a pun (since it's not a homophone, unlike 'piosneer' for 'pioneer'). But worse, it goes no further to proving WHY you think Rutherford is a fraud, so it's actually a thought-stopper which demands the listener to adopt your conclusion without any reason given, which is absurd thing to do. You don't fight JW irrationality by countering with more irrationality: why would you even do so, when you HAVE "the Truth"?

So unless you're a Tea Party type (i.e., the type of person who thinks referring to 'President Odumma' is clever, when it just makes them appear childish), it's best to use puns sparingly as 'rhetorical devices'. Puns are best used for comedic purposes: George Carlin and Groucho Marx were masters of the pun), since puns are fueled by the 'style over substance' fallacy (as discussed in my blog post, written long-ago):

http://awgue.weebly.com/what-did-ojs-legal-defense-team-and-genesis-yahwist-have-in-common.html

Steve, I'm guessing you're confusing 'rhetorical devices' with 'arguments' (which unlike puns, consist of a conclusion with supportive evidence); you're using the two terms as synonyms, when they're not.

Adam

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

....WBT$ GB Rock Star Popes................................WatchTarded..

................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Island Man
    Island Man

I just learned a new one - Watchtarded. Thanks OUTLAW!

Here's another one - Gaffe-earning Body. Or if you prefer - Gaffe-honing Body.

I think malapropism is the closest official terminology, but it's not a perfect fit because malapropism is supposed to be unintentional while this is deliberate and calculated. How about malaTTATTism? Or how about Deliberate Insultive Synophone (DIS for short )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit