Is there an official name for this comedic device?

by Island Man 24 Replies latest social humour

• adamah
    adamah

Yeah, as Lisa said, they're puns.

Problem is, it's not actually an argument, since it's driven by the 'style over substance' fallacy, as if the person who says it is clever. Puns are not actually arguments, but what Oubliette said: thinly-veiled insults devoid of reasoning, and hence relies on pure emotions to try and dissuade or hurt someone (which usually simply backfires, since mockery isn't compelling).

Puns can serve a purpose to convey a message: in fact, my user name (adamah) is the word for 'ground' in Hebrew, the first man's name is 'Adam' (also generic name for mankind), and the word for 'blood' is 'dam'. That inter-relationship based on word-play actually serves a point to convey a certain message in Genesis: animal blood is NOT to be eaten, but is to be poured on the ground, the same ground (dust) from which Adam was made. Spilling of human blood pollutes the ground, where God was forced to curse the source of life for humans, making it unproductive and even poisoning the land (eg Cain spilling Abel's blood, or unpunished murders in Israel threatened all inhabitants of the land with exile). Of course, God's cursing of the ground ceased after the Flood, since God came up with a better way to address bloodshed: God gave Noah permission to enforce blood-shed by demanding the killer pay with their blood (lex talionis).

However, that relationship is completely lost to most Xians, since most don't read Hebrew, and miss the pun.

Some other vestiges of puns can still be seen in the Bible today in English, where the intent was more to insult, eg the name 'Babel' (as in 'Tower of Babel') is word-play on the name of their captives, the Babylonians, so the pun was a way to passively-aggressively get back at their captors (and even the word "babble" retains the meaning of talking incoherently).

But if you still think a pun is persuasive after leaving JWs, then it probably explains why you were a JW, in the first place: you're likely the kind of person who makes decisions driven by emotions, not logic; worse, you may not even understand the difference, but tells themselves they're completely rational (self-delusion is brutal).

Adam

• Splash
    Splash

Jesus did a great pun when he spoke about a camel going through the eye of a needle.

His listeners would not have quickly forgotten that joke of his.

Using hyperbole in the pun, he used 'camel' which is a pun on 'rope' in the greek!!

Look the words up!

Splash

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Adamah, while I agree that these puns may not qualify as valid argument, for me, they served an important purpose. As I was learning TTATT these funny words described what I was now noticing. Piosneers made me LOL as well as helped to marginalize their importance in my life. Who cares what an El duh thinks? ASSembly aptly describe the event. These words help new ones distance themselves from the cult and break away from its language.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Kingdom Maladies.

Litter-a-Trash.

Witchtower.

Washtowel.

LOL

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Malapropism: A sister reading a passage of the Bible accidentally kept saying "...a living organism orgasm."

Puns: Theocrative Ministry Misery School, Governing Goobering Body

hehe

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Theocrapic Misery School. One of my favs.

• rmt1
    rmt1

"Asleep" is non-pun sarcasm. Also not strictly ironic.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In the trade, (mostly among the Eastern Jester band of colporteurs and harlequins) it is known as "Randolph's Ankle."

• Farkel
    Farkel

Washtowel Babylon Trash Society

Pious-sneer

:Is there an official name for this comedic device?

:Farticle, Circus Oversneer, Troof, Faith-fooled Indiscreet Slave, Hateful Indiscreet Slave, Kingdumb Hell, Joseph Ratherfraud

Yes, there is. It is called in short, "TTATT." I thought everyone knew that!

Farkel

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Reminds me of how the late, great Stanley Unwin took this to the next level with his gobbledygook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323kQis2zbM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit