Am I missing something here ?

by smiddy 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I hate religion. I hate the JW's. I hate their culty mind control nonsense. I hate their vindictive game playing. I hate all of that. I don't try to get anyone to believe what i believe. I don't really care.

I just don't like these people. and my loathing of everything JW is well earned. They are ignorant and i can't help them.

It's my problem. I don't take any of it personal. It is what it is.

This entire fucked up religion would crumble if people just spoke up about things they don't agree and don't feel comfortable.

• DJS
    DJS

Is our elderette hearing voices again? Is she off her medication? The more she talks the less I need to say. I like that. Very efficient.

• tec
    tec

I did say that it would be foolishness to most. It was foolishness to most a couple thousand years ago too. A couple thousand years before then also.

Times have changed... men have not. Except perhaps there being even less faith now than even there was then.

So Tec, you dont have visions? Yet christ talks to you in your dreams? Maybe christs visual wire is unplugged and he can only do audio? I am just trying to understand.

I have done more than one thread about Christ being alive and speaking. It would not take but a moment to do a quick search and look them up. If you are just trying to understand, one of those threads might help.

Peace,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As I read the opening post, I said TEC will answer this and it will become about her "voice."
    I see no real difference between her and Snare & Racket's crazy alien man except she doesn't voice for the outside contact.

I see no real difference between her and Freddy Franz except Tec doesn't help run a printing corporation and her uncle hasn't written about her errors.

All claimed contacts as these should be treated equally and subjected to The Amazing Randi's Million Dollar Challenge before taken seriously.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is utter nonsense. I've seen peasant women climbing St. Helena's stairs at the Vatican. When I was ill, I saw many young people come forward to be slain in the Holy Spirit, no one with terminal illness lived. I was so desperate I stepped forward. Lord knows how hard I prayed. Viist Lourdes. Yet Tammy, whom we do not know at all, hears Christ voice. He appears in her dreams. I say this is a fraud.

I concede that Tammy may believe it is Christ's voice. She has to get in line at any mental health facility.

I recall praying to Jehovah as a child and teen for my father to love me and act honorably rather than using us as punching bags.

When my brother attended a cerebral palsy center, I overheard conversations my mom had with other mothers. Everyone was praying so hard for God to help their child or to lift the damage completely.

We use the voice hearers as pets here. Their message is not amusing. Some days I just laugh. This thread raised some questions that made me recall my earnest prayers. Can you imagine the victims of illness or a mass tragedy, hearing that Christ speaks to Tammy in voices and dreams? Some people are very full of themselves. Grandiose beyond any measure.

Were these first century actors grandiose, too? Perhaps. I don't have a first century mind set. When I think of Tammy hearing from Christ, I can't but think less of Paul. I don't see good news breaking out. It is more impossibility breaking in. I can cry for the people I've met who pray so hard to God. This leaves out Christian girlfriends who would each pray for God to make a male classmate like them. This whole religion thing is wacky.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I hate to break it to you, but there isn't much to say that hasn't been already explained... in life.

God spoke through methods which we now have logical explainations for that those in bliblical times did not: earthquakes, volcanos, lightening strikes, the tides of the sea. Also hallucinations from various illnesses we now have names for (I had SERIOUS hallucinations from dengue fever) or from simple malnutrician, dehydration, food or other poison, allergies, or having a restless night simply because of an upset stomach (I have wicked dreams if I eat pizza as a late dinner, for example), sunstroke from working the fields/hearding too long without shade/water, etc. We have diseases from other lands that are foreign or diseases taken to other lands ("curses" in the bible). We also have mental illness which, if you notice phychology and mental health is not covered in the bible AT ALL... so things like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder would have had no context for them.

Plus, if you look it up, people hear voices for all kinds of normal reasons. Hypnagogiac and hypnopompic hallucinations are something we've all exprienced, a lack of food (low blood sugar) or fasting, accidental sleep depervation, abuse or bullying, trauma, shock, etc.

If we were removed from out phones, tvs, laptops, family, etc. and listened to our bodies and the world around us without so much DISTRACTION... we would find MANY MANY ways in which a person in bible times would have reason to believe they were being talked to by the divine. We have explainations for all of them so we do not think in those terms anymore. You can't think in 2013 format about life as it was in bible times and wonder why 'god' stopped talking. We are very VERY different people, and we understand A LOT more about who we are... even down to the crazy man smearing shit on his face. No, he's not a phophet... he's just narcissistic with bipolar disorder. Nothing more.

• tec
    tec

So you were given examples that showed you were wrong, regarding the Spirit speaking to others, including Peter... but never mind that, you are still going to continue with what you want to believe anyway, Band? Do you think that people did not have illness and suffering then? Of course they did. How does the Spirit speaking to Peter or Philip or Paul... somehow lessen those who had pain and illness. Peter and Paul and Stephen, etc, were killed for their faith in Christ, so they also had suffering. Even illness, as Timothy had illness.

Peace,

tammy

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

also, ref @tec "Peter and Paul and Stephen, etc, were killed for their faith in Christ".

There is another way to look at this. They were not killed for their faith in Christ at all. They were killed for politics. They were killed for disruption of the masses. Remember in the old testament that the Israelites were given to mob mentality VERY easy... sometime changing FAITHS with nothing more than a harsh word or a coincidental earthquake. If any of these men were disrupting the peace of the town (and they should have... they were preaching the gospel after all - naturally there would be passion in their presence) then in unaccepting areas they would have been 'strung up' and killed... no different than mob mentality here in the south (USA)... the story of Samuel Mud helping John Wilkes Booth comes to mind as well.

The masses LOVE scapegoats.

AT THE TIME, not everything was faith-based. Some things were social... organizational. There were factions happening all over the place with Christianity and the masses were easily pricked at the levels some of these factions would go, so they often reacted as harshly as the Romans did (as they were used to that level of brutality). So I attribute a LOT less to God-inspired martyrdom and more to circumstantial culture of society at the time... which written later can SEEM like God-inspired martyrdom if you're trying to inspire a congregation or something (after the fact).

I apologize, Tammy for hijacking your comment, but you made a good point and I wanted to expand a bit in reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit