Nelson Mandela - comments of what his life meant to you

by MMXIV 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

If only Nelson would have been on the GB when released from prison. Instead we got Rutherford.

eyeuse2badub

• humbled
    humbled

Although Mandela was terrificly strong to come through what he did, the greatest impact he had on me was the powerful effect of his Truth Commission.

Forgiveness requires truth if it aims to heal a grave wrong. Both the oppressed and the oppressors were invited to tell what had been done without the objective of punishment but with the objective of letting the truth be told. A forgiveness that ignores or dismisses the full extent of the suffering caused is no healing--I appreciate the earlier account telling how Mandela at the Nobel Peace Prize did not tolerate DeKlierk's comments that minimized horrifically unequal suffering by the Colored under the white regime. The generousity of forgiveness is that the victim fully understand the wrongs against them even as they forgive. The criminal(s) who receive forgiveness must allow at he very least that the story of their victims be fully laid out-- if they hope forgiveness to be a full measure. That the final and maybe single comfort they can give is to acknowledge the suffering they have caused.

Truth with forgiveness can heal--I thank Mandela for showing me that.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

We existed pretty much in a Surreal state in the country today. His passing has left a huge void - you dont get people like this around very often. Nevertheless this country has amazing spirit and the mourning turns to celebration - as only people in Africa can do.

What was/is noteworthy is the consistency of the tributes many people are paying, who had actually met him. Often times out of the blue such as hime walking through a shopping mall and just pausing to greet and speak to you - He would always take you hand - firmly - and actually talk to you.

One such account was of a security guard at a military airbase here in Cape Town where I reside - who was present at his arrival by plane. He stepped off the aircraft and walked over to this man - took his hand and did not just greet but also enquired of his well-being. The guard informed him that his wife was not too well and Madiba asked her name and then wished her well in recovering. Some years later on arrival at the same base he encountered Mandela again and the first thing Mandela asked him was how so and so [his wife] was doing.

He particularly got on with kids - a sure sign of a trusting spirit.

Even the local dubbery is very supportive of him and his character and life. - there isnt much to rubbish!

Of course as you know his first wife Evelyn whom I knew - was a witness. He was pretty hard on her. Its is an African thang! And he wanted her to share his political ideals. But he did treat him very well and one official biography on him concedes that she gave him a sense of family and stability. Unfortunately when you engage in an epic of life in this arena you have to make sacrifices and he was not able to fulfill a truly fatherly role in his first marriage.

He did attend her funeral as did Winnie Mandela.

From him we learn that love and reconciliation conquers all - now if only we could be more reconciliatory in the way we treat "errant ones" such as Humbled mentioned, via the TRC [Truth and Reconciliaton Commission] - sit around the table - put the Truth on the table and then ReConcile instead of "stoning to death."

From a warm and windy Cape Town - Cheers

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

His greatest moment came as he took power and made history - not by exacting vengeance on his oppressors but by reaching out to them and integrating them into the new SA nation-state. It was a smart move, as SA would have quickly become a new Zimbabwe had there been a huge rush to exit the country by the white minority. Zimbabwe is what happens when you violently try to reconcile your past. South Africa is what happens when you peacefully reconcile your past. Mandela held onto power seemingly only as long as he felt that he needed to. He could have easily become a Mugabe and still would have been in office to this day had he so desired. But he felt that he did all he could for his country by leading them out of apartheid, and gracefully handed over the reins to new leadership, thus sparing SA political instability and guided a natural evolution of leadership to take place.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you so much for your perspective on this Afrikanman.

Welcome to the forum

• BU2B
    BU2B

Nelson Mandela was a great statesman and leader, great man and inspiration to millions. He averted so much bloodshed that could have happened. What I did not know was that Fidel Castro and Muamar Quadaffi were some of his biggest supporters, even when he was considered a terrorist by the US, and lended their full support to the ending of apartheid. He gave them both South Africas highest honor.

These videos are some of Mr Mandelas life that many are not aware of. Can someone embed them please?? Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNF0YkRQjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umgMDJIpkn0

• BU2B
    BU2B

Never mind they already are :)

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

rebel8: A man who did good and evil.

I have never before heard "evil" associated with Nelson Mandela's works. Can you please elaborate? [This is not a challenge, but a desire for information/viewpoint.]

• d
    d

His movement paralled the civil rights movement in the United states.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I had a profound and lasting effect on his life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit