Nelson Mandela - comments of what his life meant to you

by MMXIV 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Thank you, rebel8 (and sammielee24) for the additional information, and keyword search tips.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Obama said when Mandela died that he taught us that one man can make a difference. I believe this that we can all make a difference. It just depends where we find ourselves. Very few of us are able to make a huge difference politically but that shouldn't make us give up. With seven billion people doing a small amount it can make the world a better place. I also like what Trevor McDonald said about his interview with Mandela that he was not bitter about all those years in prison but he said never look back just keep looking towards the future. A good lesson.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Not wishing to come across as an expert on Mandela but you may wish to visit this web site and if you can get the book [below] it is a fascinating insight with very good anecdotes.

To define him as a terrorist is all in the mind of the beholder - From the stance of the Apartheid Regime he definitely was. Then again when we defied the conscription laws we were also branded terrorists and incarcerated in Military Prisons. [Which was a very Thoreau-ian type of action] - Civil Disobedience. And it was an incredible experience which I would like to share on another thread.

He eventually did advocate violence as a means to the end but I am not aware of him actively taking part in bombings for instance etc.

While many do revere him to an almost god-like status most folk see him as a man with many frailties who learnt to walk through his fears. He certainly did mellow and mature.

http://www.nelsonmandela.org/content/page/biography

Hunger for Freedom: the story of food in the Life of Nelson Mandela
    By Anna Trapido. Jacana Media: 2008
    Examines the role that food has played throughout Mandela's life: from his childhood and years in prison, to during and after his time as president. Trapido unearths fascinating and humanising stories, noting that in prison Mandela would speak about freedom as he spoke about food. Hunger for Freedom gives a lot of detail about his relationship with Evelyn. From a Hot Cape Town [+30 Deg C ] Cheers "A Christian Anarchist" - sort of !

• cofty
    cofty

I have had book on my shelf for years by Allister Sparks called "Tomorrow is Another Country - The Inside Story of South Africa's Negotiated Revolution". Its about time I read it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have only read the OP. I would like to say Nelson Mandela touched my life. I grew up in multi-cultural London, not a JW. For Mandela to expose the aparthied in SA, was inspirational to me.

During Mandela's imprisonment, I was also touched by a man named Anatoly Sharansky who was a Russian dissident that was imprisoned from '77-'86 for his activism also.

Mandela brought to light issues that the world need to know about. He will remain an histrical figure. A good man that did something to expose the bad.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

When apartheid ended the world became a better place.- cofty

Sadly though it still existed in the hearts of many Africaan's South African's who came over to England to "escape" Mandela's presidency in the '90's. I have spoken to many from Soweto and Johannesburg who tell a different story. Although the world were told aperthied ended in South Africa, it was a work in progress.

I was told in a JW cong in Pretoria South Africa, the congregations had to be mixed, but the Africaan's sister's made racist remarks. This was in the last five years.

The world is a much better place because of Mandela, but some individuals didn't change sadly.

Cool song BTW cofty, it brings back memories of that time. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

He started a terrorist movement that resulted in many deaths, and imprisoned for it. They did bombings and he advocated this. In his later years he reminded others of his shortcomings, which I respect.-rebel8

This was a young, frustrated Mandela, who was fighting back from oppresion. Not an evil insidious activist. Okay it was all premeditated, but the violent activism was a defensive reaction to the abuse of aparthied. I don't believe it was evil, just stupid and wrong.

Kate xx

Afrikanman, thank you for your posts. Very interesting. Welcomr to JWN. Kate xx

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

He eventually did advocate violence as a means to the end but I am not aware of him actively taking part in bombings for instance etc.

----------------------------

Osama bin Laden didn't actively bomb..was he guilty? Charles Manson never killed one person - is he guilty? Castro - freedom fighter or terrorist? The IRA - terrorist group or freedom fighters? Timothy McVeigh - terrorist or freedom fighter? It is all subjective.

Mandela was the face of hope and change - chosen to represent moving forward. It was a good move and a good change for the country to end the violence.

Apartheid was wrong. Terrorism is wrong. In the end, I'm not so certain there couldn't have been another way to arrive at a place of peace and unity but I am glad he achieved a sense of personal peace and hope SA will be able to flourish.

sammieswife

-----

In his book Long Walk to Freedom Nelson Mandela wrote that as a leading member of the ANC’s executive committee, he had “ personally signed off ” in approving these acts of terrorism. This is the horror which Mandela had “signed off” for while he was in prison – convicted for other acts of terrorism after the Rivonia trial. The late SA president P.W. Botha told Mandela in 1985 that he could be a free man as long as he did just one thing: ‘publicly renounce violence’. Mandela refused./////

Bombing victim in Pretoria..

Pretoria Sterland Bomb 16 April 1988

When Mandela was arrested on his Rivonia farm hideout near Johannesburg, the following munitions and bomb-making equipment were confiscated with him and his comrades.

(Read his ‘Rivonia trial’ transcripts)

• 210,000 hand grenades
    • 48,000 anti-personnel mines
    • 1,500 time devices
    • 144 tons of ammonium nitrate
    • 21,6 tons of aluminium powder
    • 1 ton of black powder

----------------------------------------------------------

Mandela did not have to personally testify at the T&C meetings about his involvement in the acts - both pardons and amnesty were given to various people.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I have found it quite intestesting to see how JWs around my family focused on the JW members of Mandela's family rather then the man himself. And many have also dismissed any positive action he made stating that in the end, these actions won't change the world and therefore, were for nothing.

Can't they just appreciate that Apartheid was ended thanks to man like him?

• rebel8
    rebel8

In the spirit of our own recovery from dishonest beliefs, I firmly believe we need to force ourselves to accept truths, even if painful. An unabiding dedication to accepting truth is what healed me.

Mandela directed activities that resulted in the suffering and death of uninvolved, innocent people.

Yes, he did remarkable things in his later years, and the world is a better place for it.

Mandela wasn't an historical revisionist about himself. Why should we be?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit