Nelson Mandela - comments of what his life meant to you

by MMXIV 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Nelson Mandela has passed on. He was a symbol of hope and peace to many. Has his life and achievements meant anything personal to members of JWN?

mmxiv

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

He was a source of inspiration for me. When protesting at the South African consul offices became popular, I thought he would never leave prison alive. Apartheid seemed too entrenched. Also, I did not care to learn South African history. I became more educated about apartheid through the press and friends. One of my treasures is an election ballot from South Africa. It has about 20 candidates. B/c most voters were illiterate, their photographs are on the ballot. I purchased it to show that no cause is a lost cause.

I was quite impressed how he handled the transition from apartheid b/c Africa had such a sad history of former colonies going bonkers/wacko. He cared about economic development. I don't know how you live in prison for so long without extreme bitterness. He was a giant. I consider myself lucky to have lived in part of his life span. The sad part is that I think he suffered these months. I wish he had been spared that.

• bohm
    bohm

last great statesman.. RIP.

• tornapart
    tornapart

An inspirational man who let nothing stand in the way of what he beleived in. He could have taken revenge but he wanted peace and reconciliation, he wanted all races to live together in harmony. Full of integrity, not afraid to speak his mind. Never willing to give in under pressure. He shaped and changed a whole nation. His rainbow nation.

An incredible man that will never be forgotten.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I was reading an article of his life in prison, an extreme life exposed to the elements and sleeping on a thin mat on a stone floor. Whilst some harsh conditions eventually eased, after 27 years of capitivity away from the closeness of his family he bore no grudge. Amazing.

• Band on the Run
  • d
    d

He taught me that we can and should always fight for injustice.

• designs
    designs

Nelson Mandela insisted he be looked at as only human with all of our common flaws. For most of his life he kept any animosity in check to further his goals of reconciliation and equality except- The night he received his Nobel Peace Prize, which he had to share with President De Klerk. When it was De Klerk's turn to address the large audience he merely gave passing mention to the 'mistakes that were made on all side', Mandela turned red and shook his head. Later that evening at the formal Recpetion Nelson spoke to the issue and described how every European leader in the room had supported Apartheid. He continued to describe what his prison life was like and for the other activists with him. The guards would bury a man up to his head and then begin urinating on him. Starved and tortured they held to their dignity. The Reception filled with Heads of State from all over the world was silenced.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

He had such a dignity about him. The government put him in prison, but they could not break his spirit, and when he got out he was not bitter and refused to do to others what was done to him, but led his country through a very rough transition.

• cofty
    cofty

Nelson Mandela was a great man. He believed oppression could not last forever, and when he became free he led with dignity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit