Depression amongst JWs

by tornapart 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

bookmarking

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I wonder how many JWs (and other dangerous cults) had/have a psychosomatic disorder and/or take depression medication compared to non-members? I know a JW who after receiving treatment commented how funny (in a weird way) it was that her mind could cause her physical pain. I asked her what she felt was causing her mind to cause her physical disorder. She didn't want to tell me.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

wow!!!

For those who say I'm wrong for listening to "worldly sources" for advice, QUESTIONS, who told you that your depression was physical? Worldly source. Who told you that you had a chemical imbalance? worldly source. Who told you you need a drug to cope? Worldly scorce.

To Ministry Ideaz; you state "facts" without support.

You all vent if you want I'm deleting this conversation as I choose not to listen to silly people

• compound complex
    compound complex

Many of us twenty-something Bethel brothers had a difficult time emotionally -- away from a more normal style life back home (albeit in the JW mode). We young pioneers were many and had fun and good companionship.

We were regimented severely at Bethel and some -- like me -- broke. Others ran away or attempted suicide (at Bethel). If it had been possible to do the Bethel work alone, without the pressure of late, long hours traveling to and from meetings and service, it would have been tolerable.

I liked my job.

CoCo

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Cognative dissonance will cause depression. IMHO most JW's that have been around for a while have some degree of cognative dissonance and therefore depression. Nu-lite crammed down their throat will cause depression.

eyeuse2badub

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"

Many of us twenty-something Bethel brothers had a difficult time emotionally -- away from a more normal style life back home (albeit in the JW mode). We young pioneers were many and had fun and good companionship.

We were regimented severely at Bethel and some -- like me -- broke. Others ran away or attempted suicide (at Bethel). If it had been possible to do the Bethel work alone, without the pressure of late, long hours traveling to and from meetings and service, it would have been tolerable.

I liked my job."

I agree.

1.Told my background hindered me from progressing.

2. Made fun of for accent by overseers.

3.Told all the clothes I came with were unfit to wear.

4.Forced to wear oversized old clothes from the hopper

5. Watching table head rub his wifes back and then look at you as you wished it was you rubbing your wifes back.

6. Five single women in the whole place.

7. No money to buy anything extra from the commissary.

8. Spending every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon pulling giant balls of humaan hair and string from the wheels of office chairs in a dark corner of the 25 building

The list of depressing things could go on for days

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

An expectation postponed is what makes the heart sick = Cognitive Dissonance.

Expecting something that will never happen makes people depressed. The fact is that ever since the heavenly door was closed by Rutherford, all JWs have been told they would see the END in thier lifetime! No other religion that I know of teaches it's followers that they will never physically die. The GB is still teaching this crap! If you don't believe that the end will come in your lifetime, then Satan has influenced you. Still, everyone has died! How much easier and less stressful to simply accept that you will get old and die like every single generation of humans since the beginning of time.?!

Humans cannot live in a perpetual hightened state of awareness like JWs are expected to live! It causes mental and emotional problems.

DD

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Syme ----->>> Your 4th paragraph:

'Youths, do you want to lead a full, satisfactory life?

If yes, continue your education please, read a lot, listen to music, make love, be humans'.

------>>> What a beautiful 'new thought' for Youths. To be human. 'To be humans' in JW.ORG Land has so many restrictions.

I can say, I was a JW Drone for 60 years. Was I happy being a JW Drone? Not really. I did not know any other way of living, so I accepted what I had. Like Catholic's who go to church every morning. It is routine. I was told being a JW was the best thing you possibly can be and do with your life. I tried hard though but the Nazi like restrictions, were too much for my 'free spirit' self.

I felt confined and also felt something must be wrong with 'me'. I wanted to do other things than same old, same old WT stuff. It was getting to the point if I had to go to the KHall one more time and make small talk about what a great meeting it was, or wasn't that an amazing assembly or wow, a new

Bible, well, I don't know what I would have done. Thankfully reading the 'forbidden' "Crisis of Conscience" book by Governing member Raymond Franz

opened my eyes, and I haven't been back.

With my Life, I want to do something original. Ticker taping words out of my mouth without any thought behind it, as JW.ORG wants me to ape, is not for me.

I can honestly say, being one of Jehovah's Witnesses GAVE me depression.

Back when I was a teenager, the talk was about Armageddon is so soon. Apeing WT's commands, we must 'pioneer' and take Watch Tower material door to door to save people from Satan's world. hahahahah What a great marketing devise to keep meek and mild people busy working for you for free. And then we pay out of our pockets to keep this WT Monster alive. Unfortunately, people with no critical thinking skills, believe what abusive people tell them... and obey.

LoisLane ...

PS WAKE UP PEOPLE and enjoy your Life now, and do it the way YOU want to do it.

PSS Sorry for the rant.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Maybe a new "Youths - What Will You Do With Your Life?" brochure is ought to be published, one which will state: "Youths, do you want to lead a full, satisfactory life? If yes, continue your education please,

Now that's really funny!

WTS encouraging education!

When that happens, my money is going on the CUBS!

Doc

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

CoCo ... I am so sorry those A#1, you know what's , broke you. (((Big, Big Comfort Hugs to You my Friend)))

I am so sorry you were hurt. I am so sorry our dear sweetheart Brothers, go off to Bethel with a smile on their faces, a warm happy feeling in their hearts, and end up torn, bruised and traumatized.

Most of us cannot take regimented life. From what you and other's say, I wonder if that is part of why, when Bethelites come home, we do not hear their stories. It is too painful to talk about.

CoCo , have you talked about it here? Sometimes, I wonder about you and wonder how you are. You are such a beacon of selfless love. Always encouraging, always kind. Do you try to put more kindness into the world because so much unkindness has happened to you my friend?

ConfusedAndAlone ... Your numbers 1 - 8 make me cry. ALL the things are so mean. When our young ones fill out their Bethel application and wait excitedly for a positive response, who would ever think, once you made it to God's Spiritual House, that you would find cruel task master's there.

What you and CoCo talk about is abuse and cruelty at Bethel. How could anyone imagine that Bethel has God's Holy Spirit working there, when things like that happen, over and over, for decades.

(((Big Comfort Hugs to You too)))

LoisLane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit